“I loved this hotel and staff!”

Park Hotel of Hot Springs
Ranked #32 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
Reviewed February 22, 2009

I work for a small company that gives bus tours to different locations for private individuals. I checked a variety of hotels in the area for V-Day week-end. Several wouldn't call me back, but Park hotel did. The staff there went above and beyond to make the week-end special for my clients. They provided us a private parking space (for parking a bus, this was important), great rooms, private reservations in their dining room, and to top it off, they also gave each adult client, vouchers to use at the casino in town for free money. I loved the friendly staff that greeted me by name when they saw me and the true history of the hotel. It is as if you are staying in one of those old mansions, you usually only get to tour. It is within walking distance of several area attractions and the rooms have a beautiful view of the park. Contact Steve and he will make your trip great! Thanks Steve for everything! You are 1 in a million!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed February 16, 2009

1. The room was mostly clean. It is an old building and was about as clean as you can get an old building
2. The walls are very thin, therefore you can hear the passionate events next door.
3. The staff was very friendly.
4. The price was ok, however I feel a little high for the place.
5. The bed was comfortable.
6. The windows are originally, so open with nothing keeping my children from falling 4 floors below.
7. We only had warm water, while others had scalding hot water. There was plenty of water pressure.
8. The food was a bit pricy, but good, $30 a couple.
9. The wireless internet worked great.
10. The hotel is in a good location.
11. They offer mineral water piped directly from the hot springs. You don’t get this in very many places now.
12. There breakfast was banana bread and coffee.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2009

Some friends of ours got married at the Arlington last month, and initially we were not going to be able to attend. At the last minute our plans changed, but the Arlington was booked. We ended up at the Park Hotel for two nights, and contrary to some of the other reviews that we read on this sight, the hotel was charming, warm and friendly. All of the staff were very professional. The room that we had was a little small, but very clean and had that old world feel. The location was perfect, besides being convenient for attending all of our wedding parties, it is near the hot springs and bath houses, all of the quaint shops downtown, plenty of local bars and restaurants, as well as a beautiful National Park. By the way, we also had a great meal at their Italian Restaurant Angels in the Park. Overall, a real nice experience.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Caitlin37
StevePark, Director of Sales at Park Hotel of Hot Springs, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2009

We are happy we could help you in a crunch. Thanks for your review and please come visit us again.

Reviewed January 18, 2009

Where do I begin... It was FREEZING in our room all night. I had to sleep in my jacket. The blanket they provide is very thin. There is no heater in the room. It was cold outside and we might have as well slept in our car, that's how cold it was in the room. We had to turn on the shower in our slim attempts to heat up the room. When we complained to front desk, the girl said there was nothing she could do for us. Our room was also close to the elevator, so any time someone used it, it sounded like the motor was in our room. Our room also started filling up with cigarette smoke after 9pm and stayed that way all night, which made me cough profusely. We asked for a non smoking room...Needless to say I only got about 2 hours of sleep. It was a nightmare. I have stayed in a lot of hotels and hostels and am very laid back and flexible, but this by far is the WORST place I have ever stayed at. We asked for another room, but were told we had to pay extra $60 a night. Ridiculous!!! The view of the wall with pipes, huge stain on the carpet and really crappy decor and furniture did not make it any better or add any charm, as they claim. Place is a dump. DO NOT stay here. Pay a little extra and stay at the Arlington. Same location, but very nice.

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed November 22, 2008

I read the reviews before travelling and thought that some reviewers must be too harsh. They were not. This is a building which once may have been a quaint setting next to the hot springs. It has undergone decades of neglect. When we entered the lobby it was empty and the front desk was unoccupied. They remained so for about ten minutes. We chose then to go up to the floors above to see whether we would stay and met only one person, not a guest.

Upon returning to the lobby we met a person at the front desk; we asked to see a room before checking in. The room was clean and that is the only positive thing I can say. It was furnished with garage sale furniture. The bed was one we would not sleep in. The matress was old, lumpy, and something rattled below when I touched the matress. The loose headboard leaned away from the frame. (Blocks of wood had been attached to it's back to prevent it's leaning too far.)

Walls seem to have painted with a white-wash like material. There were places where moisture had soaked them causing them to bulge. The bulges were painted, not repaired.

We told the attendant at the desk we would not stay. She said the manager was not in and that we would lose our prepaid registration. We found a comfortable motel in town and had a good stay there.

2  Thank Rich2008rich
Reviewed October 21, 2008

After reading all the negative reviews, I just had to put in my piece ...We stayed at the Park Hotel one night so we could enjoy the local Oktoberfest and not worry about getting a DUI trying to drive home. Our room was clean, tho small (typical of the 1920's) One dresser was from the 1960's, and the other from around 1940, but in good shape. The bed was comfortable and clean. I could smell the bleach from the laundry in the linens. One thing I will say is that it is a good idea to stay in the Spring or the Fall, since the air conditioning has yet to be updated properly. We opened the windows to get a cool breeze. The restaurant is an Italian restaurant that is open only for dinner Mon-Sat, and is part of Angel's Italian restaurant over on Central Ave. Very good cuisine, tho a little pricey.The Park Hotel is still undergoing renovations to this day.
My husband and I have lived in the Hot Springs area for the last 30 years. Something that folks need to be aware of is that a lot of the old hotels and businesses were empty for a number of years before finally being bought by someone with enough money to try to get them up and running again. There is a lot of bureaucracy in this town, which hinders things. What people need to realize is that it takes MILLIONS of dollars to update and repair these places! There's asbestos that needs to be removed, and old moldy wood, insulation, etc.
These things need to be taken into consideration when booking a stay here in Historic Hot Springs, AR! Not everything is pristine and brand new. If that's what you want, there's plenty of newer places in town, tho most are far from the historic district. Give the Park hotel a chance!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dmarie415
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Where should I start.... in the beginning when I booked the room. Cheaper than the Arlington, what a bargain. Not. When I booked the room I found out they tack on a twelve dollar energy charge. What? I knew this would be an old hotel and expected some charm. I have stayed in some nice old hotels in the past like the Crescent in Eureka Springs AR or the Renaissance Savery Hotel in Des Moines IA. Do not confuse them with this place. Charm was left down the block at the Arlington Hotel. I happened to make a right turn and it really was a wrong turn. Not much for parking. Enter the hotel and you are greeted by a smoky dusky lobby. This place needs a stick up. The staff was nice and friendly which was the only good feature here. Elevator broken please use the other one. Arrived in the room and found the carpet torn and dirty. Nice bed but bricks for pillows. Bathroom was far from clean I don't believe the maid knew that the door closed because no one had swept behind it in months. Nice to know they still use the "sanitized" ribbon for the toilet. Don’t look in the medicine chest you may not like what you will find. That evening I knew it was going to be a long one starting with the construction going on below.... the saws stopped at 8:30. Nothing on TV but didn’t really need it. The walls are thin enough to hear a drama going on in the room next door. Turn off the lights and turn them back on again. No difference. Remember when on Seinfeld a Kenny Rogers Roasters sign kept Kramer up….. Guess what? The sign outside my window is lighted by four spotlights. And the non matching blinds bought at Wal-Mart did not provide much shelter from the light. At least they could have put up curtains. Stay here for the cheap price….except the energy charge. Stay here for the charm…. I am sure you can find it down the block. Stay here they will leave the light on for you!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business