“Better than I expected”

Ranked #40 of 293 Restaurants in Hot Springs
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Back Porch Grill is the premiere steakhouse located on beautiful Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs, Arkansas. We serve certified Angus beef grilled on an open pit before your eyes, as well as exceptional seafood selections, chicken dishes and pastas in handmade sauces. We offer stunning lake views year round and outdoor seating when the weather permits. From first dates to wedding receptions and family reunions, Back Porch Grill is perfect for ANY occasion
Reviewed November 13, 2012

It looked a little scary from the outside but the food was great and service was fair. We had the Orange Roughy and crab legs. Everything tasted good and was cooked like I would expect. We will go back.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We ate outside on the porch, arriving about 30 minutes before sunset. The view was wonderful. I ordered a rib-eye steak and it was good, but certainly not the most tender and flavorful I've ever had. Service was very friendly and attentive.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

While traveling Arkansas last week, we stopped in Hot Springs for a couple of nights and this restaurant had been recommended to us. We were there on a weekday evening and were seated outdoors on a deck overlooking the lake. The chairs are formed-plastic lawn chairs that looked like they had seen better days. They were dirty/stained and two of the chairs at our table were broken. It gave an otherwise pretty setting a shabby look. They have lights along the railing that illuminate the tables, but ours was burned out and when it was pointed out to our server she just made a little joke and nothing was done about it. There was some ambient light from other tables and it kept us from eating in complete darkness once it became obvious nothing was going to be done about our light. As for the food... We ordered the sea scallops and avocado fries as our appetizers. The scallops came four on a plate, grilled and wrapped with bacon. The bacon was underdone and the scallops were slightly underdone too. This was mentioned to our server who looked surprised and mildly offended at the comment. The avocado 'fries' ended up being a a quartered avocado covered in bread crumbs, lightly fried to give the crumbs a golden tone and then served with a small dish of dressing. I did not eat them, but my husband ate two pieces and said it was nothing remarkable and he wouldn't order it again. We both ordered the rib eye medium rare along with the Twice Baked Potato Casserole and Sizzling Sauteed Mushrooms. The salad and dressings that came were pretty much what you would pull out of your own refrigerator. The steaks were a little on the thin side, but cooked correctly. The mushrooms were your usual sauteed mushrooms and the potato casserole was a skimpy serving of mashed potatoes on a potato skin that someone had tossed a small dollop of sour cream on and then baked. Save the additional cost for this item and just go with the potato that comes with the entree. All in all, I have to say the food was good, but not worth the money paid for it. The service was also good, but it could be improved upon in regard to customer input, concerns and comfort.

2  Thank TopazMonkey
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had dinner here recently and walked away with a $70 tab but just average food, nothing spectacular. The salads were generous but you could tell that they were made in advance and put in the refrigerator until their number came up. My husband enjoyed the generous portion of bleu cheese that topped off his salad dressing, but I was underwhelmed by the ranch dressing on mine. I had the shrimp skewers which were cooked perfectly but lacked presentation. The black pepper fries were good but tasted like they came out of the freezer. Hubby had the red snapper with artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes. Again, good but nothing to write home about....that is all we had along with 2 glasses of wine and 1 glass of iced tea, no dessert or appetizers. We checked the bill and it was correct, but still feel like we overpaid for ordinary food. Probably won't go back.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Our experience here was good. It wasn't spectacular, but we would go back. My husband had a ribeye with a creamy cajun sauce and shrimp that was on special, and I had a 4 oz filet. Both were properly cooked, and the sauce on his was delicious. I thought the price of mine was reasonable, but his was a surprise at over $30, which was conveniently not printed on the specials. Oh well. Also, as another reviewer pointed out, they charge extra for cheese on your baked potato. That is just annoying. The appetizers we had were also good- spinach artichoke dip and fried avocados. We both agreed that the avocados needed something to spice them up- either some salsa or maybe a spicier dipping sauce, like a jalepeno ranch. Overall, I would recommend the place.