“not a great place”

Oaklawn Racing & Gaming
Ranked #13 of 82 things to do in Hot Springs
More attraction details
Owner description: An unusual feature to see in a National Park is this world-class horseracing track.
Reviewed October 1, 2011

this was a very poor gaming place. if you have no where else to game, i guess it will do. we have gamed at many casinos, in different states, but this was the most confusing place. the slots were odd games that were very difficult to understand. it is very small, also. we would not recommend this place to anyone.

2  Thank Martha S

Reviewed March 24, 2011

We just got back from a great weekend at Oaklawn to watch our horse run on Saturday and also see the big Derby prep, the Rebel Stakes. The weather was gorgeous and the track was very nice. We had seats in the horsemen's section inside, which are right by the regular seats. There were a few boxes but mostly just stadium type seating in rows. Outside there was concrete bleacher type seating which I didn't care for, as there are no designated rows or anything and who wants to sit on concrete? The best part was how friendly and helpful everyone is...from the security guards to the bathroom attendants and everyone in between. They were all so nice and eager to help make our visit the best. The facility seemed very clean and there were plenty of concessions. The gift shop was small(which seems to be a problem at most racetracks) but again the service was 5 star. The paddock is actually inside which I don't care for myself because it's harder to watch everything and people crowd around so tightly. But in inclimate weather it would be nice. The infield was open for Saturday but it wasn't on Friday, so I don't know if it's only open on big races or saturdays or what...we did not go over there but it was large with betting and concession windows. I asked my husband if we should take the kids(ages 5 and 6) over to run around since there was a lot of open space but he said there is no big tv screen so it isn't a good place for actually being able to watch the races. Since he is a big handicapper that wouldn't work for us. The kids still had a great time and again, everyone was friendly and talked to them, gave them little things like candy, etc. The casino section had slots, poker and blackjack but we didn't do any of that. It seemed nice and clean though. The best part of that for us is the purses are so much higher since they put the casino in so the racing is much better. Can't really comment on parking because we parked on the backside...there seemed to be plenty of lots around the track. Central Avenue was a bear on Saturday especially but always seemed congested so leave plenty of time to get there.

Reviewed March 14, 2011

Being that I lovvvvvve horses, I had a great time here. I even won a bet on a horse I picked. It was a great feeling, being that I hardly won anything and I am not a gambler. Even got $10 free for signing up for winners circle card. You pay $2 to enter horse racing and parking is $2. They have a shuttle that circulates the lot to pick walkers up if you choose to ride. Must have I D to enter casino. I was carded. Some casinos give free liquor while gambling. They have free coke and sprite. Go for the experience!

1  Thank LADYVIRGO826
Reviewed March 20, 2008

I was very impressed by how affordable this racetrack was. General admission is only two or three dollars per person, and there are grandstands outside to sit or you can wander around inside after paying that. We reserved tickets ahead of time, and so we paid $4.50 each for tickets inside, right above the finish line, with reserved seats. Lunch was under $15 for two people, two of their 'famous' corned beef sandwiches and drinks;admittedly not a huge meal, but for less than we would have spent elsewhere.
We stayed all afternoon, just placing small bets, there were races about every thirty minutes. I more or less broke even at the end of the day, but it was an entertaining way to spend the day, and less expensive than most other racetracks.
Quick note: Do expect to pay a little for parking. There's five dollar parking that may be closer, but we parked out in the two dollar lot and it really wasn't that long of a walk.

4  Thank rmm001
Reviewed January 16, 2008

Oaklawn Park in the spring is a lovely way to spend a Saturday afternoon. It is one of the rare horse racing tracks in America where you'll find more than 10,000 visitors on a typical day, adding to the excitement of the racing event. This is especially true on a Saturday or Sunday, when many of the nearby college kids can be found with a cocktail in hand rooting heartily for their picks.

The quality of racing at Oaklawn is at an all-time high, with such champions as Curlin, Afleex Alex, Lawyer Ron and Smarty Jones having competed here over the past four seasons. The final week of the season brings the best horses in the nation to compete in their "Racing Festival of the South" and is a great event to behold in a town that is built around tourism.

Make sure you have a corned beef or reuben sandwich at Oaklawn with an ice cold beer, and may all your tickets be worthy of cashing!

3  Thank Ekords