“First time in new location”

J & S Italian Villa
Ranked #57 of 273 Restaurants in Hot Springs
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Oklahoma
“First time in new location”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

J & S was one of our favorite places to go when visiting Hot Springs. After the fire at the original location, we wanted to try it again. It is now in a strip mall and is totally different which is to be expected. We were greeted by the owner, Jamal and he seated us in the bar until our table was ready. The food was excellent and the wine good. Service was slow because it was a Saturday night on a holiday weekend and it seemed that they were understaffed. Aaron did a beautiful job trying to keep up with too many tables. It was also noisy and we had a hard time hearing each other. It just wasn't the same......missed the atmosphere at the old place.

• Visited May 2014

Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Authentic Italian”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I would visit this restaurant again! The service is quite wonderful and the authenticity of the Italian food was excellent.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Doris P
“Really is Great food - it will not disappoint! - You're welcome in advance :-)”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Me and six girlfriends of mine traveled from Dallas to spend a quick 4-day "Spring" get-a-way in HotSprings the weekend of April 24-27. The weather was amazing and we made pretty good choices in food based on recommendations from friends...on our last night in Hot Springs, I, in particular, wanted Italian and could not remember the name of the Italian restaurant that had been given rave reviews, and so I looked on line and two had great ratings. I chose J & S, one of the two, because it was closest to the hotel we were staying in. When we arrived, from the outside, my first impression based on looks (it was in a shopping center) was underwhelming. Once inside, things improved. The ambiance and décor was very calm, relaxed, and classy...to make a long story short, the prices were reasonable, the bread was fresh out of the oven and great...the lentil soup (which I never had) was delicious and the entrees were scrumptious and very filling. Seven of us ordered different dishes and ALL seven of us enjoyed our meals tremendously. Not one disappointment. And not one "eh, it was ok". Everyone loved it and I got credit for picking a great restaurant! Turns out, without my knowing it, J&S was the name of the restaurant that I could not remember the name, the one that got the rave reviews, so it definitely lived up to the hype. On top of ALL of this...I forgot my wallet at the restaurant. Unbeknownst to me, they attempted to reach me via the number on my business card which was to the office (of course I did not get it until I arrived back in Dallas)...well frantic I called and they confirmed they had it and that nothing was taken and that they would ship it to me ASAP...and they did, overnight, no cost to me! Such a class act. When they informed me of this kindness they would extend I immediately felt relieved and was able to get back to my work week, worry free. Thank you sooooo much Jamal and J&S!!! May the Lord return your kindness.

Thankfully,
Melanie Crecy, Another very satisfied customer and grateful person

• Visited April 2014
Arlington, Texas
“Great Lunch”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We are in town for the horse races at Oaklawn Park. A friend told us about J&S Italian Villa what a wonderful lunch we had. The server Aaron was so helpful with our selection. We went the House everything wine, dressing for the salad, made from puree vegies garlic and Italian spice. Of course pastas made in House sauces made in House and mozzarella that strings down your chin. The local people of Hot Springs need to know Jamal and brother Sham are now open for lunch. I have heard the night life is very nice with live entertainment on Wed. Fri. Sat. and always wonderful food. Will recommend to anyone, can be for romance, for adult family gatherings, business meetings are a great place to treat your self after shopping. After all that we learned the brothers owned an Italian restaurant in our home town Arlington Tx for 18 years our loss for not knowing about J&s then.

• Visited March 2014
Hot Springs, Arkansas
“What happened to J&S”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Since we grew up in the restaurant business, we know an owner cannot fix a problem, if he does not know about it. We also refrain from creating a scene and try not to disrupt the other guests. Therefore, I am writing this letter to let you know of our very disappointing experience. Our dinner last night was not up to the standards we have come to expect at J&S.
To start, the mussels marinara had more empty shells than mussels. My wife’s soup was lukewarm and it took 10 minutes to get a bowl of hot soup (and by the way, it was a passing waitress who noticed that my wife had put her full soup bowl to the side and asked if there was a problem. . My salad was wilted lettuce with a tomato. My Vitello Pizziolla tasted as though it was pre-cooked veal with marinara sauce poured over it. Barbara’s Chicken Verona was overcooked to the point of being hard to cut, and also appeared to have been pre-cooked and refried. There was very little seasoning and the brandy cream sauce was very bland. Our waiter, Vincente, did not make any attempt to ask if there was a problem, even though both of us left a considerable part of our meal on the plate.
My daughter also had called to order a bottle of wine to be given to us to celebrate my 80th birthday. Even though we had a reservation in our name and introduced ourselves, we were never informed of it. Needless to say, last night was a very disappointing experience for us.
J&S today is not the same restaurant it was in past years. I hope you will make whatever changes need to be made to make it the restaurant it was formerly.

• Visited March 2014