“Great Location and Emplyee Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Happy Hollow Motel

and 1 more site!
Happy Hollow Motel
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Hot Springs
arkansas
“Great Location and Emplyee Service”
Reviewed February 21, 2008

I book a stay at this wonderful little hotel almost every summer when I take my wife and kids on a little vacation to Hot Springs. The service is always very good, and you get a little goodie basket when you check in. The location is great, it's close to the main strip, but far enough away that you don't have all the noise going on. My room has always been clean and a nice size. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is the furnishings are older, but are in good condition. The showers have super pressure and we love the tile walls. I do feel this is a great hotel and for the price you can't beat it.

Stayed June 2007
2 Thank hogman32

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Fayetteville, AR
Reviewed February 19, 2008

NASTY. RUDE. STINKY. UNSAFE. We had problems booking, our door would not lock, when we could get it locked we could not get it open and had to get management who screamed at us "YOU HAVE TO JIGGLE IT". When we would jiggle it, it would open without even having to use a key so we did not feel safe leaving our valuables. We had problems checking in, problems with our water and heat while we were there, the owner barged in on me while I was changing AFTER I yelled at the top of my lungs not to come in "I am naked!!". We thought we were being robbed! My husband got shocked by an exposed socket and still has a burn on his finger. To top it all off after our horrific 2 night stay we are packing up to leave @ 9:30 am and get a phone call from the owner stating that the room needed to be cleaned. We said okay. When is check out? She screamed "NO! GET OUT! I CLEAN!" and slammed down the phone so hard that it made my ears ring. The worst thing is that this used to be our favorite place when we came to the races. I have suggested this place to soooo many people and now I feel horrible for doing so. I gave this place a glowing review a few years back and I feel bad for doing that also. So, for that I am sorry to anyone and everyone who booked based on that positive review as obviously this place has gone WAY down hill. I could go on and on but I will just let my photos of this place speak for themselves. I don't have any other suggestions of other places to stay in Hot Springs because I think the whole town has gone downhill. It seems like every year we go it just gets worse and worse. Needless to say I think this was our last year to waste our money in such a sad, depressing place. :(

• Liked — Nothin
  • Disliked — The dirt, the fungus, the smell, the rude staff, being barged in on while changing.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Okra876

Travelers are raving about these Hot Springs hotels

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 27, 2007

If you have to stay in Hot Springs then the Happy Hollow may be your best bet - but that's not saying much. The town defies description, but that is another story... The hotel was easy to find and has a reasonably good location within walking distance to "all" HS has to offer (on a positive note, the architecture is amazing). Upon arrival, the parking lot was full, with several men standing outside smoking and eyeing new arrivals with placid interest. The ashtrays outside every room were a good indication of what was in store - if you are averse to smoking you have been warned! The upholstered chairs scattered around outside were shabby and sad. The proprietress kindly offered a stuffed animal to my son, a free choice of videos from the library, and an interesting tray of instant coffee, chocolates, and snack cakes - which came in handy since there are apparently no eating establishments in town open around 9pm except Subway. The room, however, was terribly depressing and did not inspire confidence of cleanliness - a single sallow yellow light, broken lamp, and the putrid smell of cheap cigarettes wafting from every surface. Though intending to stay 2 nights, I left early the next morning, thankful to have the Happy Hollow/Hot Springs in my rearview mirror. I chose the hotel based on earlier, positive, tripadvisor reviews...I'm not sure where those satisfied customers were staying!

• Liked — walking distance to downtown
  • Disliked — shabby, smelly room
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank nomadologista
Morehead, Kentucky
Reviewed November 11, 2007

My 10 year old son and I stayed at the Happy Hollow from Nov. 7-11, 2007, because I had meetings in Hot Springs and didn't like the reviews of the conference hotel. Based on reviews here, I contacted the hotel by phone months in advance and my reservation and room were ready and as described on TripAdvisor. Our room was upstairs, very spacious, windows on both ends, with a small balcony. Our wireless worked flawlessly the entire time, it was relatively quiet (there is a parking lot at the back for the employees and guests of another hotel, so there was a bit of traffic noise at times), and we found the manager very accommodating. We watched the free videos she loans out from the office, really loved the strong flow from the showerhead, and were delighted to be in walking distance from everything, including one of the cold water springs and the promenade. Yes, I had to adjust the seal in the toilet tank occasionally to keep it from running, but that was a small thing to us, given all the pluses. It isn't luxurious, but it's very clean and comfortable. Everything in the kitchenette (toaster, microwave, coffeemaker, stove, oven, fridge, freezer) worked well and we didn't mind mismatched dishes. We ate one or two meals in the room every day. Both heat and air or of the window variety -- we used the heater a couple of times in the evenings and it was fine. I really hope we have the chance to stay there again.

• Liked — Location, wireless, kitchenette, free videos
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank ProfL
Chicago, IL
Reviewed November 7, 2007

Owner very rude when I arrived. I paid by credit card and was given a key to the assigned room. Upon entering room my wife and I looked around. TV was setting at an angle, one of the two double beds was a fold a way, toilet was always running, refrigerator was missing shelves, vegetable bins were broken, both beds had dirty covers on them and was bowed in the middle, their free wireless internet didn't work two rooms down from the office. After looking the room over for less than ten minutes my wife and I decided not to stay. The office was now locked up and nobody would answer the office doorbell. I dropped the room key in their mail slot and we spent the night in another local motel. I call the owner of this motel the next morning and asked for her to refund the money to my credit card. She was very rude and said she would not refund the room charges. I finally got my money back from Visa three months later because I had to dispute the applied charges to my Visa card.
In closing I will tell all to stay as far away from this motel as you possibly can!

• Liked — nothing!
  • Disliked — Rudeness of Owner
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Abe12
Dallas
Reviewed October 11, 2007

I love Happy Hollow and have stayed there several times. It is like a little slice of the past. Walking distance of downtown and the Park (and all the bathhouse services at big hotels), it has the feel of a 40s apartment building. Every room I've stayed in has a kitchenette -- a handy feature. They don't have 20 pillows for your bed or a 24" thick mattress. You may have to edge around the bed to get to the closet or stack your luggage in some odd alcove. If there was ever a cookie cutter for places like this, the cookie cutter has long been lost.

• Liked — Small number of rooms, persomal attention, friendly setting
  • Disliked — Spotty service -- because it's small, sometimes staff has to take a break!
  • Stayed October 2003, traveled solo
Bentonville, Arkansas
Reviewed July 22, 2007

A great value for the money. We had planned to stay at Embassy Suites, just because we knew what we'd be getting. After reading the reviews for Happy Hollow I changed my mind, and I'm glad I did. The motel is located just down the street from the Arlington, so it's withing walking distance of the bathhouses, shopping and the promenade. The room was very clean. Each room has a porch with table and chairs. There was a kitchen (full frig, microwave, coffee maker, stove/oven, sink and table/chairs), tv with basic cable. We will certainly stay here again.

Stayed July 2007