“Yuck! Demanded our money back!”
Review of Happy Hollow Motel

Happy Hollow Motel
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Grooooossss!!!! It was awful. The worst place ever. I stayed there 2 times in 2004/2005 and it was fine, a little old, but good. We went back in March 2012 and there was new owners, and it was just gross. The sheets weren't clean, it stank of carpet freshener and smoke. They were really unfriendly too. But, they did give us our money back with out saying a word.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lingzhi
There are newer reviews for Happy Hollow Motel

Reviewed July 21, 2012

First of all the room was terribly hot, so the first night we did not sleep well. We went and bought a box fan and set it up the next morning to help cool the room while we explored the area. We came back to our room to find the fan turned off and sat on the floor. If it was maid service they didn't do anything to the room: bed still unmade, towels on the floor. We also found a strange piece of paper in our bed(someones grocery list). The next day we went running around Hot Springs and again we came back to uneasiness!!!! The door was unlocked---my husband locked it and I had double checked it before we left the hotel grounds. STill no maid service had come by, bed unmade, towels on the floor. I had decided to take my laptop with me, so if anyone had decided to take anything it would have been clothes. We decided to search the room and found old socks under our bed, talk about unclean. They use keys(copied from Walmart) on the doors!!!!! Makes me wonder how many people have a key to the room. Will not stay here every again!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank MaryTravelr
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I had the most relaxing experience in this place. The staff (a very nice couple ) was friendly and helpful. The room was clean, cool, furnished with all I needed and most of all quiet. I would recommend this little "off the beaten path" motel to all my friends. It is a very old place but clean and bug-free. It was a pleasure to stay there for 3 days and 2 nights. I will be back!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank nana76140
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I would definitely not recommend this motel to any of my friends or family. While the location is great - right next to the park - and the room did have a kitchenette, these ameneties do not make up for the negatives. The rooms are old (the room had a VCR!) and need some serious cleaning. Our room (and I'm assuming the rest of the place) had roaches! I found one crawling in the bed I had just slept in when I lifted the sheet to take it off for the cleaning person. Overall, I do not recommend this place!

• Stayed: August 2011
6  Thank AustinEd
Reviewed June 2, 2011

I was quoted 50 bucks a night over the phone so we stopped to check it out. The room was very old but rather large with kitchenette having, full sized fridge, electric stove and oven, micro, toaster, plates, bowls, real glasses and silverware. these amenities made up for the blatantly semen stained comforters. We decided it was old and grimy but ok... until we returned later that night. We walked in and found cock roaches saying hello.. they were so many. i was like 'its ok its only a couple bugs' my wife said no!!! they are like cops where there is one there are always plenty more. before leaving i took a walk to center myself and muster up the courage to get refunded. i walked up the sidewalk towards the happy hollow spring and the sidewalk was covered with roaches as well. They are infested to say the least. Outside the main office where the owners live is even lays a can of raid on the window sill. Raid isn't gonna cut it there! this place needs a professional bug man. its sad cause it would be a great place for people on a budget that want to cook for themselves. Also the location is fabulous right next to the park...But hey if you are already acclimated to living with roaches its still a great place for what you get.. also, they owner tried to withhold some funds but didnt and i was refunded in full. he didnt even try to argue about the cockroaches. lol!

Room Tip: spend more than 50 bucks if you can. try 65-85
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank vfacci
Reviewed November 17, 2010

I first stumbled on the Happy Hollow after my beloved Majestic (sister hotel to the Arlington) closed. I loved the Majestic for the same reasons I love the Happy Hollow. ITS DIFFERENT!!! If you want a chain hotel with an indoor pool, jacuzzi and on-site restaurant, then this is not the place for you. If you want every room to be exactly the same and to be corporately polished, then this place is not for you. BUT... If you want a little hidden gem right in the middle of everything, eclectically decorated (possibly from your great aunt's garage sale), enjoying a complimentary snack basket upon arrival, all the video tapes you can watch and a great value especially for someone traveling with a 4 legged critter, then this is the place for you. It is an older motel late 40's-ish (I guess)style motor court and yes it has not had a full remodel since who knows when, but that is part of the charm. When was the last time you had glass blocks in the bathroom wall? A screened door to let in the clean mountain air? Each room having its own little porch that overlooks the happenings all while enjoying free wifi? So if you are a free spirit, adventurer, go with the flow kind of person than this is the place for you. If you want fold down service, valet parking and a concierge then look somewhere else stuffed shirt. :-)

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Thnkgrn
Reviewed July 3, 2010

The Place is old and smells funky. They were extremely rude for no reason.
We stayed one night and moved up the road to a friendly hotel. For just a few bucks more, it was well worth it!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends