“Very displeased”

The Springs Hotel & Spa
Ranked #34 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

The lobby is very misleading with its beautiful marble and waterfall. Should have turned around and found something else when 2 people in front of us had reservations and they mysteriously lost them and had to park behind the hotel in a not so safe place and walk back to the hotel. Didn't feel safe in the elevator going up to the 8th floor where we was Spose to have a view of the city but got a view of dumpsters and vehicles. Walk into the room where the smell of mold hit u in the face and there was burn marks all over the carpet and several spots on the floor that had been patched with different pieces of carpet. Walk in the bathroom finding urine in the toilet. Cheetos crackers and no telling Wat else was under the edge of the bed. Took a shower and stood in a foot of water cause the drain was clogged and the water went from cold to scalding hot was never just warm and comfortable. After no sleep and very irritated was checking out and had to wait for employee to get done with her complaining cell phone call to I'm guessing a family member about having to work on sunday. I will never stay here again and I wouldn't recommend anyone else to either!!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Michele B
fvs111, Manager at The Springs Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel during your stay in Hot Springs.

We do have a great lobby and we appreciate your comment, but our rooms are just as nice and quaint. I read that we had missed a couple of items in the room, which is inexcusable. We will get with our team to make sure we are more thorough in our cleaning. Our parking lot is very safe and we have no problems with our parking area, rest assured. We will make sure that our front desk staff is trained properly and be more tentative to our guests. I do apologize during your checkout process, but sometimes an important life detail may arise that is unavoidable.

We do apologize for you not getting the city view. We have many requests for the city view, and sometimes we are not able to accommodate all of the requests. The city view is great, but so is the mountain view. The mountain view is quiet and relaxing, depending on a person's perspective.

We will keep trying to do better. We have a great hotel and staff and we know we have some faults at times, but are one of the only hotels in the smallest national park in the U.S. We have many shops, restaurants, and BATHHOUSES! All within walking distance. We also have balconies within all of our rooms. So, please don't let this review deter you away from one of the best hotels in Hot Springs.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Checked in early on Thursday March 10, 2014. The young lady at the front desk was very nice. Went to our room on the 7th floor to discover NO hot water and cold water was brownish red when we turned it on. Hotel manager stated the hot water issue would be fixed by 4pm and to run the cold water until clear and it would be safe to drink. Then discovered all TV's in the rooms were not working properly and could only receive 7 channels which were mainly local stations. Needless to say, we did not watch the Master's golf tournament. 4 pm came and no hot water. Asked for some type of compensation and was told 25$. Went back to room and tried to turn on airconditioner. Long story short, was told that airconditioning on 7th floor did not work.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

WE are extremely disappointed with your experience at the Springs Hotel & Spa. We did have hot water issues due to a plumbers error connecting the pipes. We have since fixed the problem and the water is clear, good, and hot or cold. This was a trying time for us as well, because were unable to solve the problem with three plumbing companies. Each plumber had a solution, but no solution worked.

The televisions have since been analyzed and we believe this problem to be fixed. We are currently updating out televisions to flat screen and we think this will alleviate the problem.

I hope that this bad weekend will not deter you away from us in the future. Your experience is not a typical experience, just as long the plumbers can fix any problem that may arise. I thank you for giving our front desk clerk a complement and we will let her know. Again, we are a great hotel on Central Avenue and we hope that you will stay with us again.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed two nights and had a great view. Enjoyed being downtown and within walking distance of shopping and music. Very friendly staff. Will definitely come back. Reasonable priced with awesome location.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
fvs111, Public Relations Manager at The Springs Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2014

Thank you for your stay at our hotel and thank you for your lovely comments. We appreciate you so much. Come back and see us again.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I really don't understand all of the complaining! The other reviewers that commented on the shower water issues are correct, but it's really not a huge deal so go with the flow and laugh about it! It's not a new hotel with new furniture, fresh paint and new carpet, but it is pleasant. The front desk was great! The spa was incredible. It's not a 5 star hotel, but if that's what you're looking for then don't go to Hot Springs because you won't find that anywhere in Hot Springs and certainly not in the downtown area. I have stayed at the Arlington, and l honestly think that the room at The Springs was nicer than the room at the Arlington. The TV is horrible but we didn't go to watch TV. The bed was not great but it slept ok. The location is great! We did not eat at the restaurant. We did have drinks at the bar I had wine and my husband had beer. We had facials and massages at the Spa and they were great! One of the best massages I've ever had and I have had a lot of massages all over the world. Go stay at the Springs and go with an open mind and also understand that it's not a luxury hotel, but enjoy the adventure. I have stayed in much nicer and I have stayed in much worse yet paid 5 times the price for less.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly H
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Stayed here for two nights during spring break. After reading the reviews, on tripadvisor, I was a little nervous, but took a chance. Overall, I'd give the hotel an average rating. Nothing outstanding, but not as bad as some people were saying. The hotel is certainly dated. If it were not for the new flat screen TV in the room, the room could have come from about 1975. Despite complaints of hot water problems on this site, we had no such issues. Room did not have a hair dryer, but a call to the front desk remedied that in about 5 minutes. We did not take advantage of the newly-opened restaurant, but it looked fine. Bar looked just okay, with a limited beer selection. Had a room on a smoking floor (I really hadn't thought to say non-smoking, since I have not had a smoking room for 10 years, at least). Smoking down the hall pretty much stunk up the whole floor. Loud next-door neighbors was a problem, since we essentially shared a balcony with them. I would guess we were the only room affected by their noise, however, so that is more of an issue with the guests, not the hotel. (neighbors dropped in at 2:15 a.m. for a little pick-me-up, I guess, then back at 4:30 a.m.) Location is wonderful, since you are within blocks of everything downtown. The beds could be better, but I say that about a lot of places. For the price, it is difficult to have much of an issue with the hotel. Could they do better? Sure. Is it a good price for what you get? Yes. Just don't expect five-star accommodations for a three-star price. That's just not the way it works.

Room Tip: Had a third floor "mountain view" room on the end away from the front desk. If I had my c...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I stayed here for two nights for a business trip to Hot Springs. There was some trepidation after reading negative reviews, but it was really a satisfactory stay. Parking is a little scary, since the lot is cut into the hillside behind the hotel. It is located about 200 yards from the site of the 1984 Arlington Hotel parking lot landslide which destroyed several automobiles. It did not inspire confidence when I noted a few large rocks that had slid into the lot. I recommend parking well away from the cliff. The hotel is definitely old school. The lobby is very nice; I did not avail myself of the restaurant. Front desk employees were friendly and helpful. Rooms were old and worn, but clean and the bed was comfortable. There was a burn mark in the carpet caused by a hot iron. The best feature of the hotel is that it is convenient to downtown and close to some good restaurants.

Room Tip: Apparently the mountain side of the hotel is quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Rahrlebob
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We just returned from a long week-end in Hot Springs. It was our annual trip with 4 other couples to visit the horse races. We wanted to find a new hotel to stay in the downtown area. We chose the Springs and we were all very pleased. We had stayed at the Arlington in past but the owners have really let the rooms run down. We found The Springs Hotel to be an older hotel but clean. It has much better bathrooms and we were street side with nice view. The staff were all very nice and Lance the manager was very friendly and helpful. We had a great time and would stay there again. We ate several meals at the restaurant and the food was very good.

Room Tip: choose high floor street side
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends