“DO NOT STAY AT THE SPRINGS HOTEL!!!!”

The Springs Hotel & Spa
Ranked #35 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
Memphis, Tennessee
“DO NOT STAY AT THE SPRINGS HOTEL!!!!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I really wish I had read the Trip Advisor reviews regarding this hotel before makng our reservation. It was awful! My family has not been on vacation in a year and we wasted money and time on this hotel. I spent most of my weekend aggravated and frustrated with the staff of the Springs Hotel. We arrvied on Friday, March 17, 2013 at 5:30 PM to find our mountain view room on the 9th floor worn, dirty and hot. Apparently, even though it had been "cleaned" prior to our arrival, the housekeeping staff thinks clean is sticky floors in the bathroom and the balcony. Honestly, if the balcony had been cleaned, they probably should have removed the previous victim's beer bottles and the sticky mess underneath. The tiles in the ceiling looked to have been chewed by something...I shudder to think from what creature...That night we were unable to lock our balcony door. It was broken ,,,it did not matter... we had to sleep with it open because it was so hot. The next morning we had no hot water at 8AM. I called the front desk and was told we would have hot water by 10AM. Didn't happen. We took cold showers and I went to the front desk to see how they were going to make this up to me and my family. I was told by Heather that I would get no discounts or anything to compensate for no hot water in HOT SPRINGS! Really? I asked to see a manager. By this time Matt and Heather were tag teaming me. They both stated there was no manager. Then "She" was in England. They would not say if that was England, Arkansas or the UK. I informed them that I would be checking out of the hotel and their extra special, courteous, service response was, "you will still have to pay the whole weekend charges of $273.00!" I called American Express who did not appreciate The Springs "service and amenties". Thank God for AMEX! We are disputing the charges. Still, a beautiful weekend marred by people who seem to be running a sham of a hotel. These bad reviews go back a year! I am reporting The Springs to the Better Business Bureau, the Hot Springs Visitors and Convention Bureau and anyone else who will listen. I would hate for anyone else to have their vacation ruined by a shabby, opportunistic hotel. They portray themselves on their website (which is interestingly shut down as of this posting) as upscale. I sure hope that "manager" responds to this posting as she has other ones over the past year. Her basic response seems to be it is always the guest's fault. I wonder....maybe I should call the health department, too...

Room Tip: Tip to choosing a good room at The Springs.....go to The Arlington next door...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Kathy S
virginiawilliams, Manager at The Springs Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
We apologize about the problems with this guests stay-
Yes, the hot water pump went down (these things happen) & the maintenance dept did everything they could to get it fixed only for it to breakdown again - then they had to order parts, etc...
In March the weather is usually still cold, this year it seemed to fluctuate almost daily. We have a 2 pipe system, which means the heat is on in the winter and the a/c is on in the summer.
Our staff went out of their way to apologize & take care of guests.
We're not sure what website these guests were on, but our website has never been shut down.
My "basic" response is not the guest is at fault only that some cannot be satisfied no matter what or how any situation is handled or taken care of.
And for this guests information - Yes, the Manager was out of the country attending her parents funeral!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have never left a bad review before but The Springs was awful. The only good thing about it was the location. We had NO hot water the first day and couldn't shower. Other guests said it had been that way for a few days. Even if we had hot water, we had to ask them to clean the bathtub because the drain was filled with hair and junk, not the plumbing or pipe itself, the actual bathtub drain. It was 80 degrees but there was no AC. The rooms are not individually heated or cooled and the staff said they couldn't turn on the air conditioner. The "mountain side view" was a view of rocks above the parking lot filled with trash. It had no sound proofing at all. You could hear every door nearby closing, the tv in the neighboring room, and the even though we were on the 7th floor we could hear people talking in the parking lot and the trash truck woke us up at 6 one morning. Their service was not very good and I'm not sure a manager even exists because no matter how many times we asked to speak to one they were never there and noone knew when she would be. They told us they were giving us a 20% discount when we checked out because of the problems but only gave us 10%. We've called about it twice now and I still haven't been able to speak to a manager, but they are "looking into it". It took us three calls to book the spa because apparently only one person can book appointments and she was never there and even though they promised to call us back it was after our third day of calling. The restaurant just says "open until close" which is apparently early because they were closed before 10 on Friday and Saturday night of Spring Break weekend. Everything else we did there was good, but avoid this hotel. Try The Arlington if you want historic, but one of the modern hotels a little further off would probably be better. We were not the only ones with problems. When I went to he front desk to complain there were two other very unsatisfied guests already there with their own complaints. I would really avoid The Springs.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Candace R
fvs111, Public Relations Manager at The Springs Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2014
We are located in the heart of America’s smallest National Park at the base of a mountain. The mountain is filled with beautiful trees (not just rocks) and is quite steep, making it impossible for anyone to access it and leave trash. The weekend you stayed the hotel was full and a hot water boiler failed. We apologize. We fixed the boiler as soon as we were able but with over one hundred rooms (all taking early morning showers), it took some time for the hot water to be up and running. The spa is located on the second floor and is less than a minute away by elevator (making it quite convenient and accessible). If you had trouble reaching the spa by phone on a busy weekend, why did you not book your appointment in person? Trash trucks all over America make their rounds in the early morning hours, occasionally this an annoyance.

Travelers are raving about these Hot Springs hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Our visit was over a long weekend. Overall, the hotel was comfortable. Everything in the room appeared very clean and kept.

Road noise was noticeable and parking was not as secure as I was comfortable with. The venting in our room picked up a heavy smoke smell from what we could tell was coming from the "Non Smoking" room next door.

I probably wont stay there again, but glad to say I at least experienced it.

• Stayed March 2013
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

It has been years since I have stayed at the The Springs, formerly the Downtowner. The decor is relatively unchanged, the front desk staff was efficient and our rooms were available when checked in at 3pm. We stayed in room 710 and 706. The rooms were large and clean, however decor was slightly dated. Our balcony was large and street facing, which is neat to watch people and traffic but can be noisy on busy weekends. Both rooms were king bed with 2 chairs, a desk and a tv/ dresser armoire. Bathrooms are small and need some rechaukling.

The location is great to the strip and everything is in walking distance. The only complaint I had the restaurant, they advertise room service but didn't deliver. The in room menu did not show a breakfast menu, so I walked down the night before to look at one. I wasn't able to take it with me so I took a picture with my phone. The next morning I called the room service number and after 3 unanswered calls, I called front desk and they explained that it was a private restaurant and could not control the service. I ended up walking down to the restaurant and ordered to go. I thought that the reason they didn't answer the phone was they were busy, but when I walked in only 2 tables had people seated. Again this was not the hotels restaurant but it did effect the stay. I had a spa appt at 10am and preferred to have a lazy morning with room service. Both our rooms had microwaves and refrigerators which were nice. Over all I would stay there again but would have much lower expectations.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank mbart25
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Hello, When we go to Hot Springs, we have stayed several times at this hotel. It is always clean, nice people, very very helpful on area!! The only negative I could say, is the quality of the restaurant they have at hotel, PLEASE CHANGE! Also the Spa 135 (inside hotel) has bad hours & unreliable hours. "If" you get in, a VERY nice spa, but sadly run poorly. Could be a HUGE asset. Overall, if you visit, stay here, cliff side rooms!!

Room Tip: Wonderful bedding, get a "cliff side" room! They view can't be beat, plus a large balc...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank crispytommy
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My children cried the minute they saw the room. The lobby was alright but did not match what was in the rooms. I thought I was in the movie The Shining. Old furniture, stained carpet, stained ceiling, uncomfortable beds. Bathrooms horrible. No lids for toilet. I told my kids to hurry up and go to sleep so the morning would come faster to check out. The staff was nice though. They're trying.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank sofakingweetoddit
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Trouble in paradise – Hotel not pet friendly and here’s my story. I was passing through Hot Springs on my way to Texas and I decided I would stay in Hot Springs on my way back and I was traveling with my dog – Pookie Boy a mid size 44 pound mutt. I checked with the front desk in person to see if they were Pet Friendly and the answer was yes. Two weeks later I leave Texas and I call the hotel to confirm that they have availability and are pet friendly. Many hours later after a grueling drive I arrive at The Springs Hotel and Spa at midnight and try to check in but the desk clerk tells me – No can do! My Dogs exceeded the 15 pound weight limit. I explained to the night clerk I was never informed about a pet policy/weight limit and if such a policy existed why would the hotel management not tell potential guesses? I check twice that they weer pet friendly. They showed no compassion remember it was midnight, it was cold and I was exhausted. Please vote with your dollars and by-pass this hotel stay at the Arlington Hotel just up the street.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Ron D
virginiawilliams, General Manager at The Springs Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
We are pet friendly - with a 25lb limit. Also if you're going to leave pet in room by itself for a while it needs to be crated, so housekeeping can do their job.
This is all posted on our website.
We apologize for the night clerk, they should have been polite and explain hotel policy better.