“Fun and delightful surprise”

Arkansas Alligator Farm & Petting Zoo
Perryton, Texas
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Fun and delightful surprise”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I wasn't expecting much when I arrived at the Alligator farm, but I was delightfully surprised when they told me there were other animals there as well and a petting zoo, which is fun for all ages. They gave us slices of bread to feed to the goats, deer, ostrich, and donkeys. We had a good time doing that. The goats were playful. The baby alligators were really fun to feed and watch, and we even got to hold one of them. And then you walk outside to a bunch of larger alligators and a few other animals. If you get a chance to watch the feeding of the alligators, it's really entertaining and interesting. They eat A LOT of chicken. I can see why they have to charge $9 to get in. Chicken isn't cheap. But I thought it was well worth the price.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Janell H

Memphis, Tennessee, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Do NOT go”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

went with 6 year old daughter, wife, and friends with their 2 kids....Do not waste your time...The petting zoo is a joke, the price is to much for what you get. I felt bad for the animals. It is a tourist trap and a waste of time and money...mostly your time.

Visited September 2012
5 Thank David B
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Good but over priced”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Once we seen them feeding the alligators I realized the high price of admission was probably for all that chicken they feed them. The petting zoo was a big hit for my 2 year old as well as the other kids there. They let you hold a baby gator if you want and can feed the baby ones for $1. I liked seeing the merman too

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Jessica B
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Sad, sick, stomach-turning”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Ugh! Sick. Gross. Waste of money. Horrible example of how to treat animals.
I had some hopes for this experience, as the signage on the outside of the building totes it as a historical attraction. Wow. How utterly disappointing. First, it was exceedingly expensive. I understand they have to pay for the care of the animals, but the poor animals looked sad. The "petting zoo" was mostly pushy, hungry goats. The alligator house had a bunch of baby gators, along with a disturbing stuffed "merman" and some dusty, dirty specimens of a turtle and a sawfish (Why??).
Outside, there are two alligator pens and a bunch of caged animals. This made me physically I'll...why do they have two cougars in a cage no bigger than my kitchen? And what exactly is a "Timber Antarctic Wolf"? Anyway, that wolf should be set free to roam the wild OR be given to a zoo where he can run around.
By the way, you can buy a video of a guy feeding the alligators by hand (another poor example for the kids). Oh, and in the video he gets bitten by one of the gators. Idiot.

Visited July 2013
10 Thank Donna E
Guanajuato, Mexico
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“A classic Hot Spring visit, but not such a good value.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

You really do get what you expect here - a bunch o' alligators! Now that may or may not be worth the $9 entrance fee. If you're alone then I'd say it's definitely worth taking a look. If you're paying for a family of 5... not so much. Either way if you like gators then you'll want to stop by.

Besides the gators they have a small petting zoo with goats, deer, donkeys, llamas, ponies, and a couple of emus. You get some bread to feed the animals and they're generally pretty enthusiastic to see you.

Inside the first building you can hold a small alligator and can optionally tip the pretty girl in charge if you so desire. It makes for a great picture. Baby gators are so soft! You can also pay a dollar to feed the babies a piece of chicken.

You need to call ahead and see what time and days they feed the gators. Otherwise they'll just be lying around in the sun all day. I must have been a gator in my previous life. Also, visit in the summer because in the winter they'll be indoors and extremely lethargic.

I've been going to this alligator farm for more than a decade and it's kind of classic to me. Whether or not it's worth the price is up to you, but I think it's worth checking out!

Visited July 2013