“Deceiving Picture on the Internet”
Review of Knotty & Nice B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Knotty & Nice B&B
Ranked #13 of 19 Hot Springs B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Every year my family visits Hot Springs, Ar for our family vacation. Normally, we stay at Lake Catherine State Park (A MUST STAY), but this year we waited too late to make our reservation. We ended up finding Knotty and Nice cabins, and believed because of the pictures on the internet, it would be a great place to stay. WRONG. First the pictures are very deceiving. We chose the Sunset Grand. From the pictures, it seems like we are suppose to have access to stairs within the cabin..not so. Then the rooms appear to be spread out and a nice size..not so. Second the air conditioning does NOT work. The owner tried to fix it everyday, yet we suffered everyday because of the heat. The temperature in the cabin was ALWAYS 80 degress and above, although the unit was set to 70 degrees. Third, the fridge wasn't working properly. WE bought enough food for 6 days, and by the morning after we made it, several packs of meat spoiled because the freezer never worked. THe freezer also never made ice. The owner ended up having to go and buy a deep freezer for us to put our groceries in. We still tried to make the best of our experience. THEN I was cooking breakfast-I had the oven on and 2 top burners, and ALL OF THE ELECTRICITY in the cabin shut off. I went to the owners and told them we paid too much money to have all the problems we were having. If they couldn't get it fixed we wanted our money back and we would find somewhere else to stay. They finally got the electricity working, but with various restrictions. To top off our experience, the owner (the man) had some complaint everyday for us. Either we couldn't park in a certain place, or we had to be in the cabin at a certain time (and he turned the lights off every night so we couldn't be outside), or we couldn't use the hot tub because other guest were coming and requested to use it. It was horrible. We paid $2300.00, and were treated horribly. I wouldn't recommend this place to ANYONE. I have read other reviews and I'm surprised about the ones that said they enjoyed it. My family is basically a easy going group of people, and can pretty much turn any bad situation into good. Not so for this place. I would suggest going to Lake Catherine State Park to anyone. You will not have these problems, and its less expensive with nicer amenities and nicer cabins. The best part of this experience was the pool (but he never filled it up; in fact the morning we were preparing to leave is when we saw him filling the pool). A truly horrible experience.

Room Tip: Don't chose to stay at Knotty and Nice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Tasha J
Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

First, I would like to comment that no one has access to the second floor because we live on the second floor of the Cabin. The Sunset Grand Cabin was only for the 1st floor - 4 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms, kitchen & living area. It accommodated up to 8 people. Tthey originally booked for 6 people but when they arrived their were 10 people. We do have a daybed in the living area so we had accommodations for the extra people. They stayed 6 nights and partied every night until 1:00 or 2:00 PM. That;s fine for the weekends; however, every night was a bit much when we had other guests staying here who came here to relax. The A/C froze up a couple of nights because they turned the temperature down to 58 degrees in 100 degree temperatures and left the door open quite often. We have since installed additional ceiling fans in the 2 smaller bedrooms that did not have fans. We have smoking areas provided with ash trays outside of each cabin; however, they smoked everywhere and threw their cigarette butts all over the yard, pool & spa area. We have a large capacity refrigerator; however, it was too full of food & beer. We bought a small freezer thinking they were going to put their food in it - no they put tupperware bowls full of water to make extra ice. There was a problem with the electricity for the stove - originally there was only a cook top and the wiring was adequate for that; however, once we installed a complete stove/oven we were not aware that it couldn't handle the extra voltage/watts. We have completely replaced the wiring for the stove/oven. We normally close the pool/spa area around 10:00 PM; however, they ask us to leave it open a little later (untill 1:00 AM most nights) and we did accommodate their wishes. We did have other guests and yes they do share the pool/spa area, as advertised on our website. Each cabin has at least 1 jacuzzi in it for their privacy. We try to make all of our guests happy and do everything we can to accommodate everyone's needs/wishes.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

I visited Hot Springs in February 2012 for the first time and I found Knotty and Nice Bed and Breakfast by googling cabins in Arkansas. I viewed pictures of the cabins and the Sunrise Cabin was my favorite so I booked it immediately. Once we got into Hot Springs and we arrived to where the cabins were we were a little nervous and borderline upset because we thought it was not what we expected. The owners took us to our cabins and IT WAS ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. The cabin was EXACTLY like it was in the pictures. The cabin was extremely clean and spotless. We were very pleased with the cabin and we were pleased with the wonderful and friendly treatment that we received from the owners! The Sunrise Cabin is a must stay!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chel M
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We came to k-n for our honeymoon. We chose this place simply bc we looked at alot more places but this place was beautiful and a good price. In person beautiful wasn't the word to describe it. We got there really late and Art showed us everything and was super nice. We chose to stay in the guest suite which states on the website its inside their home. We had alot of privacy and enjoyed everything about it. The room was fabulous and so nice. The owners Art/Karen were very friendly and had such good hospitality. The decorations were very pretty, bed was comfortable, location was great, and the price was wonderful. If there are any bad reviews i don't understand why bc we can't wait to come back!!!

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank kristin_sims
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I can not express the disappointment experienced when my boyfriend and I pulled up to the "Knotty and Nice" for our weekend stay. The whole basis of our trip was to have privacy and alone time. When my boyfriend called to get information regarding the cabin, he was told "you can walk out on the porch and do a 360 and you won’t see anything but trees". Not the case!! The cabin is right off the highway and 20 feet away from the owner’s home. We were told it was very private and secluded. Again, not the case. The website indicates there is a hot tub (weather permitting) but fails to include that the hot tub is on the owner’s porch with no privacy. The cabin itself was nice and clean but just not what we were expecting or led to believe. We paid for 2 nights but left after the first. If you decide to stay, make sure you bring ice because the icemaker does not work.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kim H
Reviewed June 11, 2011

My husband and I had a great time! It was so relaxing and quiet. What we enjoyed the most was that was sylish but not fussy as some B&B's can be. The bed was fabulous, sooo very comfortable! We stayed in the bunglow which had a private entrance. The room decor was stylish yet comfortable. We did not hear any traffic from the road. We enjoyed the hot tub, swimming pool and listening to nature. We got to look at several other cabins which were also quite nice and spacious. The owners were great, very hospitable and we enjoyed the converstation at breakfast. We would love to visit again maybe in the winter because it was so cozy!

Room Tip: we saw several rooms and all were quite nice
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Timberland Cottage, part of Knotty & Nice B & B, offers privacy and independence but not seclusion. As other reviewers have noted, this property is close to a highway, so you hear road noise, including loud trucks, and there are neighboring homes. When traffic noise was at a lull, we enjoyed lovely bird song and the sound of wind in the tall pine trees.

I had hoped to relax on a large deck, enjoying a quiet dinner. The cabin had what I would call porches but not a deck, the larger one running most of the length of the building but without much depth. (See photos posted of front and back porches.) The yard in front of the long porch needed tidying to remove piles of dirt overgrown with weeds and construction supplies. A cabin in the woods doesn't call for a manicured lawn, but it seems to me the mound of dirt, pile of charred tree branches, and cinder blocks should be removed. We did not use the pool or hot tub, as the pool looked green and funky, and the hot tub was cloudy and looked less-than-clean too.

Inside the cottage was clean and quaint, not especially well decorated, except for the nicely modern bathrooms with pretty glass tile accents. Other reviews have mentioned the lack of towels -- there were two utilitarian bath towels and two washcloths per bathroom, so all I wished for were hand towels. If you stay here, bring your own bar soap, shampoo, and hair dryer, as those were not provided. The bed and sheets in the master bedroom were wonderfully comfortable and soft, so we slept well. The two non-master bedrooms were tiny and closer to the road.

Overall, in my opinion this cottage was nice but not terrific. A little more generosity of spirit from the owners (towels, soap, a few luxury touches, ice trays) would help, along with a clean hot tub and pool. Would I recommend this cabin to a friend? No, not unless the price dropped and the issues were addressed.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank susanh02
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed at timberland cottage and the experience was horrible. There are multiple issues and these cabins are not worth the money we are paying for.

- Issue with the owner: Before checking into the cabins, owner gives you a lecture on the rules and regulations to be followed while in the cabin. On top of that, he will inspect the cabin every now and then for cleanliness. He will remind you about the rules during these visits. Seriously there is no privacy in these cabins.

- Lacking basic necessities: no hot water, doors are not proper etc

- Not scenic: this place is not scenic and it is just like a regular house.

- Expensive: you could get a nice hotel room with lake side view for the price you are paying to these cabins.

So, I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends