“It's a trip back in time!”

Buckstaff Bathhouse
More attraction details
Owner description: The only working bathhouse left on "Bathhouse Row," a popular hot springs bathing area in the 1920s.
Reviewed August 17, 2014

We made it a point to go twice. The place is set up with original equipment from the 1920s/30s, and still has no air conditioning (because you don't need it). They bathe you three times, then let you rest for several minutes, then rinse you, send you to a cooling room, then massage you. It's a great way to spend an afternoon. You get the feeling that you are doing exactly the same steps that Capone or Roosevelt or countless earlier bathers did. It is a "walk in only" experience, not done by reservation, but for me, the longer the wait, the better the experience, because your time spent waiting is spent inside the bathhouse, in your sheet, relaxing. You need to be comfortable with nudity though (both yours and others'), which is a challenge for some. By the way, tipping is very low key, and can be done via small manila envelopes at the front desk at the end of your experience. You will want to know this, because by the time you're done, you will want to tip the crew!

3  Thank Mike S
"historical experience"
"marble walls"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed August 17, 2014

My daughter and I "took the waters" at Buckstaff, the only bathhouse offering services in the traditional setting. We had a very good experience. My daughter's attendant was exceptional, my own attendant rushed me a little bit. We both had a massage afterwards and a pedicure, and it was all worth it. The atmosphere in the old building with the old (albeit very clean) bathtubs, chairs, and appliances, was enchanting. The only reason I am rating this Very Good and not Excellent is my attendant. There is a slotted box and there are some envelopes at the front desk to leave tips. I would do it again.

1  Thank Love2travel430
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Went there for a cool one and was not disappointed. Very good beer selection. They had a good menu selection with reasonable prices. the staff said the distillery is still going forward but they do not have an opening date We will be returning.

1  Thank juliaCz
Reviewed August 16, 2014

I had a wonderful time at Buckstaff Bathhouse. My attendant was Julie and she was fantastic. The bath felt wonderful and the place was very old which added to the atmosphere...

My only issue was at the end. As I was leaving, I was told that I could leave a tip for Julie downstairs. However, after getting out of the elevator, there was nobody around and the elevator attendant had already gone back upstairs. I was unable to leave her a tip which was definitely deserved. I did not see any signs posted about how to tip the attendants. Some guidance would have been appreciated......

See more reviews
Reviewed August 14, 2014

My daughter and I spent three mornings at the Buckstaff Bathhouse. It was a wonderful place and experience. The staff really make the experience. Julie, bath attendant, was friendly and an expert at her job. She knew just what to do to make you feel at home, which is no easy task when you are wrapped in a sheet or naked. Robin gave one of the best deep tissue massages I have ever had.

Ask about a multi-day pass if you are planning to go more than one day. This saved us about 20 percent.