“Paid for a 5 star instead got a 3 star!”

Clarion Resort on the Lake
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Paid for a 5 star instead got a 3 star!”
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Overpriced for an outdated hotel. Don't let the name fool you it's not a resort. Nice for a quick stay but not a vacation. Bed was comfortable, room was clean. However very outdated and bathroom small. Breakfast not included. Mildew on all ceilings. If your used to the Hampton go there instead. Not what I expected.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Ruston, Louisiana
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This hotel is on the back end of its life, unless it gets a pretty major upgrade. It is an older hotel, I know this because my mother worked there when she was in college. The staff was very friendly and it looked like that during the warmer months that it would be better for kids(nice outdoor playground).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TGN002
Arkansas
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Wherever possible, I am trying to review properties for accessibility, but this review will apply to both types of rooms. We joined family for the races in Hot Springs this past weekend (April 2014) and spent a night here. I booked a handicapped room weeks in advance. When we arrived, we were assigned a room that was the tiniest room I have ever seen in a hotel of this type. There was a queen sized bed in the room and a cupboard that housed the TV, microwave, and refrigerator. Nothing else. IN spite of the lack of furniture, there was literally no way to maneuver in the room on my mobility scooter. I could not get into the room or move around the bed. The bathroom was quite large, but in spite of the size, there was a normal bathtub with a couple of grab bars added--not a roll in shower or even a step in shower. It had to have been a very small room (it was on the 2d floor and was all the way at the end of the hall from the elevator, too.) to begin with before it was modified to try and make it ADA. I called the desk and the man on the phone said they had larger ADA rooms, but they had been already rented. I said I would make do with a non ADA room. but that that room was NOT ADA compliant. No person in a chair could have maneuvered in that room!

The room we got was much larger--it had a king sized bed, an armchair with hassock, and a desk. I had room to maneuver the scooter such that I only had a couple of steps to the toilet and sink in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and it featured lots of pillows. It also had a balcony that overlooked the lake (but faced the highway so was a bit noisy). The carpet was old, but fairly clean. However there was no light in the entry part of the room and that was where the closet was. It was the darkest closet area I have ever seen in a hotel room. I visited a two bedded room of some of our family members and it was really crowded. Very tight areas.

The handicapped situation was not a good one. The facility struck me over all as old and in a shabby way, not in a nice way. There was a door near the handicapped parking area that was supposed to be locked for security and require a key card to open--never found it locked while we were there. It seemed to be a very noisy place.

It is in an attractive location, although on the edge of town from most attractions other than the lake. There are newer chain hotels in town--I would try one of those.

One note--the staff was very helpful and concerned about making the room situation right. It was not their fault that the room was so small and they wanted to help.

Room Tip: I think it is possible that the rooms on the side away from the highway might be a bit quieter; and...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Hot Springs hotels

Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Great service from Gerry Harry and Ashley Wolford.

I would come back because if their great service.

Thank you Gerry Harry and Ashley Wolford.

• Stayed March 2014
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed March 8, 2014

This motel was clean. However, there was smoke smell everywhere. Our "smoke-free" room had my children and myself coughing and miserable. They even treated the room with an ionizer (which we had to leave room for an hour), which helped for a few hours but then the smoke was back. Also, we were placed right next to an elevator and we heard the mechanism reverberating in all walls all night long. A miserable experience

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We went down with several for the Elks Day at the Races. We checked in without any problen. Staff was very friendly and joked with us. It was going to be a very bad storm coming in on Sunday and this was Friday. We had a great rest of that day and saturday. Late Sat. in the early afternoon the weather began to get worse so we decided to check out early and leave. They were great about this and only charged us for the Friday night we stayed. We really appreciated that and we got home without any trouble. Weather was really bad when we got home, ice, sleet and snow. So we were glad we decided to do that and the fact that they were so great to accomodate us and not charge us for that other night. A lot of places would not have done that. We have stayed there several times and we have always been treated very well. Clean and very reasonable in the heart of everything in Hot Springs. Thank you so very much for everything. See you again soon.

Room Tip: Great rooms, restaurant wonderful, gym was good and the views of Lake Hamilton were beautiful. Loved...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
White Hall, Arkansas
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in Hot Springs for Valentines day weekend and were very disappointed with our stay at Clarion. The rooms were semi updated and beds were comfortable, but we had no hot water this morning and the tub faucet must have been rusty because the water was a nasty brown color. No continental breakfast was disappointing as well. When you pay $100+ a night for a hotel you expect a hot shower with clean running water....oh well.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple