“Value for Money”

Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 18, 2008

The Hotel :
Booked a Partial Lake View King Size for the weekend of May 4-6th. The hotel was sparsely populated, probably because it was a few weeks before memorial day when Peak season starts. The staff were very courteous and the hotel was very clean but from the outside it looks like any eye sore compared to the surroundings especiall when you drive into Hotsprings on byway 7 and see the Hamilton house first. They have a boat rental on site but unfortunately they were not open for business yet. There is a boat rental close by which the staff reccommends.
The on-site restaurant and Bar was nice with a good menu.
The hotel is about 7 miles from downtown and the National park so we found ourselves driving up and down. This was only a minor inconvenience though and there are several good restaurants around include a STARBUCKS!!!

The Room :
Excellent room. Comfortable beds and a very clean room. Enjoyed the shower head, which is a detail several hotels overlook. The partial lake view was nice but the balcony is too tiny to really enjoy it.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 27, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Clarion the summer of 2006 and enjoyed our stay. We decided to go back this last weekend and found a nicely renovated room and a very friendly staff. Our 6yr old and 2 yr old wished they could swim(too cold, pool was open though) but they enjoyed the playground. We ate breakfast at the restaurant on Saturday and were pleased with the price, quality, and service. My wife and I like margaritas so the bar was nice although we had to get the drinks "to go" because of the kids. My wifes Mom stayed at the Velda Rose downtown so we had a baby sitter for Saturday night and enjoyed dinner in the Classics bar. I recommend the mushroom swiss burger-it was great! and the sports theme was of course a favorite with me..Leslie the bartender was great, Jason at the desk was great!, Our waitress and cook saturday the 26th for breakfast were great!..

I definetely recommend this hotel. Try and get a lakeview, it is worth the extra money.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed March 10, 2008

My husband and I have stayed here a few times in the past and just recently we went with our 9 month old son. It was completely renovated which was really nice. We booked through Hotwire and got a really good deal. We also asked the lady at the front desk if she could upgrade us and she did at no charge. We had a room with a balcony which had a good view of the lake. I was concerned about the door to the balcony though because it had one very small lock on the door that just didn't seem sufficient and the lock on the door knob did not work. Even though we were on the second floor it still made me a bit nervous about intruders and things like that. The room would get pretty cold because the seals on the door to the balcony could be replaced. There were about a million teenagers on our floor also, which we didn't mind because we used to be young ourselves, and I told my husband if they didn't calm down by midnight that I would call the front desk- because I did have a baby that needed to get some sleep-so midnight came and still they were having loads of fun so I called the front desk and asked that they just be told to quiet down a bit, and the noise pretty much stopped immediately. Overall it is a nice hotel, good upgrades, they have a bar/grill which we didn't try but they have room service as well. They do have a computer with internet access in the lobby in case you forgot your laptop but you do have to pay to use it. There is also a cabinet with mini fridge and microwave which was nice too.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank jadensmom
Reviewed January 22, 2008

This hotel is down toward the end of the "main drag" in Hot Springs (Central Ave.), near the mall & some of the newer businesses; it's several miles from Oaklawn and Bathhouse Row.

We checked in on a Sunday and they were kind enough to let us check in by 1 p.m, when we got there.

The hotel was sparsely populated, mainly due to renovation, I think. Beds were very comfortable and many things were relatively new, such as most of the bedding. Beds were very comfortable. I didn't care about the view that much, which was good--ours was of Central Ave. and the hotel parking lot. The bathrooms had smaller vanities than my wife's noticed at other hotels, she mentioned.

Biggest problem with the room was lack of central heat & air, it was very difficult to keep a comfortable, consistent temperature in the room, and I adjusted it a couple of times during the night.

Somehow, a plumber cut a water line so the hotel had to move us from one room to another (2 night visit, we had to move the 2nd night). They were nice enough to agree to 2 complimentary breakfasts for our trouble, which I requested. Breakfast was at a restaurant within the hotel, and was good, with good service.

I noticed someone's discarded room service meal was in the hallway for 6 or 7 hours the first night we were there.

Overall, the hotel was comfortable although perhaps a bit pricey. It generally goes for around $85 on Expedia, Travelocity, sites like that. I managed to get it for under $70 on Hotwire. For $70, I'd give it a B+ for $85+ I'd give it a C.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pitt82marino
Reviewed December 30, 2007

I was so excited because this place just looked like wow from what I saw on the Internet. However the wow factor was low and perhaps my expectations were too high. We got a good rate with a travel coupon and it was off season so I can't review the beach or sun experience of this hotel. Except coming from MN to see any non snowy landscape in December was awesome. The area is so pretty in Hot Springs and Lake Hamilton a gorgeous lake. The hotel staff was courteous and helpful, and friendly. They seemed kind of a stiff traditional type of hotel. The hotel was being renovated and that was obvious with workers etc. It was nice centrally located and we had a super easy time finding it. Our view of the lake was nice. The shower was very relaxing with several settings, the coffee maker made good coffee and the room was spartan clean. The hotel reminded me of my grandmother, the Golden girls and the early eighties. We didn't eat in the restaurant. I would stay there--it was a classic that unfortuneately seemed to be fighting becoming a dinosaur or extinct. My significant other was unimpressed but comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2007

I stayed here during September and was very disappointed. The "lake view" room that I paid extra for was not really a view of the lake, don't let them fool you. The room was clean and the AC worked but the "Lake view" balcony actually overlooked someone's backyard the playground and was very loud. All of the gates to the pool area (which actually was on the lake) were locked even though it was 98 degrees and sunny out. There are several good restaurants in this city and we had a great dinner at the Fisherman's wharf restaurant, which is about a half mile from the Clarion. The bathroom needs some better lighting and the coffee maker was so dirty and full of grime I almost threw up my dinner from the night before when I saw it. It's all in the details and this could be a nice place if they put some effort into it.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BEDSOLE
hotspringsclarion, Manager at Clarion Resort on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2008

A major room renovation was completed in February 2008 which includes all new coffee pots in all rooms.

Reviewed April 27, 2007

What a great stay! When we decided on Hot Springs as a destination for a long weekend, I checked out all of the hotels, and this one met all of my criteria (room service, lake view, wireless internet). I knew that I wasn't booking the Ritz, but figured I would get a decent place to stay.

I had to call twice before arriving. Once to inquire about toddler floats in the pool (they're allowed), and once to adjust my reservation. Both times, the person answering the phone went above and beyond with their help and information.

When we arrived, we had a nice lakeview room on an upper floor, as I had requested. They had also put a microwave / fridge in the room, because we needed one for my daughter's medication. The room was clean and had lots of space. The wireless internet was flawless. I've been in some places where you can't get a decent wireless signal for anything, and I had no problems here. It's also free, which is great!

The room service was beyond fantastic! We ordered dinner both nights. The first night was quesadillas and ice cream (and holy cow - when they say a bowl of ice cream, they do not skimp), and the second night was the shrimp salad. The portions are sizeable and the food was all fresh, hot (for the quesadillas) cold (for the salad) and really good. I'm a bit of a picky eater and a food snob, so this was VERY important. The staff at the restaurant also went above and beyond with regard to service. Can't say enough great things about them!

Anyway, without further ado, I recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Hot Springs. While it's not in historic Downtown, it's DEFINITELY better than staying in the older, and far shadier part of town. In a lot of places in the older area (not to be confused with the historic area, which is lovely), there are bars on stores and the hotels are rundown and shabby. I would never stay at a hotel there, but this one - ten thumbs up! Wonderful area of town, and within minutes of dozens upon dozens of restaurants.

One small thing to note - the hotel pool is really nice and has a LOVELY view - but it is NOT heated. So beware if you're coming in early spring, as it won't yet be warmed up by the sun. :)

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family