“They charge for water!”

Butler Manor
Ranked #15 of 19 Hot Springs B&B and Inns
“They charge for water!”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I reserved my room online. The site never mentioned that our bathroom would be outside of our room. This was awful. Also they charge you for water. People pay over 200 bucks to stay there and yet they must pay for water. We had an early morning ahead so I asked if we could have an early breakfast. They refused to accommodate. This is the only b&b I've been to that has such a late breakfast time. No one was hospitable. We saw the innkeeper and she completely ignored us. Being on the lake was the only plus bc it was beautiful!

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Funtimes201

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Longview, Texas
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Butler Manor back in June this year. We reserved the room for the $50 deposit with my debit card, and paid in cash for the remainder when we checked out. We had fond memories of our stay until last Wednesday (08/07/13). I was checking my bank account and noticed a $225 pending debit from Butler Manor on my account. I immediately called Butler Manor and spoke with one of the owners, she was very apologetic and told me that she would be leaving town for a week and promised to put in the request to have the charges reversed that day and it would take 24 hours for the funds to go back into my account. Well 24 hours went by, and the money still was not there. (mind you, this was money that was supposed to pay my insurance on the 10th and another bill on the 12th!!!) I called Butler Manor around 9:30am that morning and I had to leave a message because the owner was out. I was told she would be back around 12pm and give me a call. I NEVER GOT A CALL BACK!!!! Finally, around 4pm that day I decided to call back and got someone else, I told her what was going on, she had spoken with the owner that day and said to give it 48 hours. Well....48 hours went by STILL NO REFUND IN MY ACCOUNT!!! I called them back and they said to wait until Monday. Well, here is Monday, and STILL NO REFUND IN MY ACCOUNT. Called Butler Manor, the owner went to California for a week! Thankfully I have a great insurance company that is understanding and they suspended my auto debit for my insurance and I was able to make other arrangements for my other bills so my account didn't topple into the negative. I finally had to take matters into my own hands and file a claim for fraudulent charges on my bank account. My debit card had to be cancelled and I had to take time off of work today to deal with this. I am going out of town myself this weekend and now I don't know how I'm going to buy our tickets for vacation because you have to reserve them online and I no longer have a debit card thanks to this!!! And all the while I feel like NO ONE at the Manor ever really cared that I had this HUGE UNNECESSARY INCONVENIENCE BECAUSE OF THEM!!!!! All the while the owner is out in California having a good time while I am left to deal with this! I was never offered any kind of compensation for all of the trouble I've had to go through. Its not that I expect anything, its just that you would think that a reputable business owner would do all they could to keep a good name and be loyal to customers! We had full intentions of spending our anniversary at Butler Manor this November, but we MOST DEFINATELY have a change of plans. I saw that this happened to someone else and I thought "hmmm, it could happen to anyone, it won't happen to us." Don't waste your time on this place!! They obviously don't care that much once you've checked out!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank lovestotravel500

Travelers are raving about these Hot Springs hotels

Westminster, Colorado
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend the night here during the 2013 Veteran's Day weekend since I found their ad offering one free night to veterans. When we arrived, we found a very clean and well-appointed room. We encountered a few minor issues which were immediately corrected by our hostess, Melody. She replaced the burned out light bulb, the shower curtain, and assisted me with operating the built-in DVD player. Melody also assisted us in contacting some local restaurants. The morning breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon and (previously frozen) biscuits was quite ordinary and was served before we sat down (so it got cold). I later pointed this out to Melody, and suggested chafing dishes to keep the food warm.
After we returned home, we discovered we had left my wife's orthopedic pillow behind. We called them several times to request they return in, and even sent money for them to ship it back to us. After several phone calls and emails, we finally were forced to contact the Better Business Bureau about the situation. They finally shipped us the pillow in January of 2013. We will not be returning to this place, and cannot recommend it due to the poor customer service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ken H
Houston
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

The staff was very nice and welcoming . The breakfast was basic , bacon eggs fruit a and bread of some kind .
The manor is huge and has a beautiful views of lake Hamilton . Our room however was tiny. Like cruise ship tiny. We did however pay the lowest rate and knew we were getting the smallest room,but it kind of felt like we where the stepchild of the house. The bathroom was way too small . If you are over 6 ft don't even think about it, you won't fit. Get one of the other rooms . Overall the house is beautiful and service was great, but the house lacked charm that we usally find in b&b's.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank EandCM
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 12, 2012

the cleanliness of the place deserves some improvement, the place smells musty no natural lighting to the rooms. I had to cancel my reservation when I got there, but happened to be the worst mistake I did, It took me about a month to get my money back, every time I called the lady had a different story, I just had to call hotel.com and take care of it myself. their records didn't even show that the hotel had attempted to cancel the reservation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank john k
st louis
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed here July of 2011 and I wouldn't recommend anything else than the Butler Manor for someone planning a relaxing weekend in Hot Springs. The house is gorgeous and the staff are so friendly! The breakfast is top notch. And you cannot beat the views. I had a hard time leaving this place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank margaret s
Springtown
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We had a great anniversary trip. Everything was perfect. The house is beatiful and very relaxing. The breakfast was delicious. We want to go back every year to celebrate and relax. The massage next door was super too.

Room Tip: Japanese room has wonderful jacuzzi in it.