“Thanksgiving at the Arlington”

Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
Reviewed December 2, 2008

We just returned from our once yearly stay at this gem of a Hotel.
We celebrate Thanksgiving there each year and we continue to be impressed with all facets of our stay. From initial check in at the front desk to the cleaning of the rooms. I have read many bad reviews on this site, many I feel unjustified, and thought it was time to report on a positive experience.

We continue to find everyone associated with this hotel to be very personable and helpful. The hotel is kept very clean and presentable. Sure, it shows some wear in areas. But, keep in mind this hotel has been around since 1924. A gem like this which sports the history its walls could tell should not be compared to today's modern chain motels. It is in a category all its own. Instead of looking for skuffs on the furniture look at the wear to the marble stairs on the winding staircase and try to imagine who has climbed these and how many people have done so over the years. Enjoy a meal in one of the fine restaurants or have a seat in the lobby on Friday or Saturday night and listen to the band. This should be viewed as a "step back in time" and enjoy it for what it is. A grand old hotel.

We are already looking forward to our return trip and would recommend this hotel highly. We are confident you would find your stay as pleasant as ours.

GM&VF, MS

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 2, 2008

We stayed at The Arlington Hotel in Hot Springs six days for our wedding. The rooms were very clean and the food was nothing short of gourmet cuisine. The staff was helpful and took very good care of us. If you want newer accomodations, then don't stay here. The Hotel is older. If you want a bit of opulence from a by-gone era, please give The Arlington a try, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank 88nancy
Reviewed October 31, 2008

I reserved a Deluxe room and when I checked in the room assigned was not a Deluxe room. It was more on the Hourly Rate motel style room. Paint was dripping on the tile in the shower, scum and grime all over the bathtub. The noise filtering into the room was disruptive (internal and external). The staff is not responsive, only concerned with tips. I will never recommend or stay at this hotel again. This is a dive.........

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank doc045
Reviewed October 21, 2008

I was going to be in Hot Springs, AR for an educational conference. It was my first trip to beautiful Hot Springs, so I wanted to stay at one of the local Spa Hotels. I went to the Arlington Hotel official website and the pictures looked pretty impressive, therefore I booked 3 nights. The photos on the website lie!! This hotel looks like something out of a horror movie when you arrive, it has a very strange smell to it when you walk into the lobby. I went to check out an appointment with their famous Bath House Spa, nothing has been updated since probably the 1970's and it smelt of mildew. The staff are not very friendly to want to charge you for any spa treatments. I had switched my room 3 times do to the first one, the door handle was so old, the key would not unlock it. Thats right, they give you an actual key, so if traveling alone, don't feel safe as anyone can picked the lock. The second room had food in it from the night before. When they got me a third room, the carpet was coming up lose. I felt maybe I over reacted to the condition of the hotel so I tried to sleep it off that night. I kept hearing strange tiny noises throughout the night. When I turned my hotel light on at 5 AM there were 3 mice scurring around my room! I immediately packed my suitcases and checked out that morning. When I confronted the night manager over this, he did not offer anything except for me to fill out a survey card, and did not seem to care.
I went 3 blocks over to the Embassy Suites, and what an opposite experience!! I had explained I was on a business trip for 2 more days, did not have a reservation with Embassy, and mentioned my experience of the Arlington Hotel to the Emabassy Staff. The manager got me a room immediately and was very nice, even though they were almost full. Everything was clean, staff super friendly, food was great, and their Spa Botanica was awesome! Super clean, modern rooms! I realize the Arlington Hotel is a historical landmark, but if they want to stay in business as a hotel, they need to sell it to a major company for extreme renovations. Otherwise, turn it into a museum.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2008

I stayed at the Arlington with my family for three days. We had room 424 on the Fourth floor. The parking garage is less than a five-minute walk from the hotel. The bellman service was very good, and our bags were brought to our room very quickly. The lobby was very nice, and we were able to check in quickly. Our room was nice, a little small but had high ceilings. It was decorated nicely and the bedspreads and curtains weren't dusty or faded. The beds were very comfortable. The A/C was old, but worked OK. It was in the 60's outside so we just opened the window. We needed a few things (extra towels, blankets) and when we called the front desk to request them, they were delivered very promptly. The service was also very friendly. We had a coffee pot and coffee, a desk, an iron & board, and a hairdryer in our room. The only thing we had a problem with was the bathroom. It was somewhat small, there was space to store things, however. The tile floor was old and needed to be more thoroughly cleaned. The bathtub and shower were fine. There was no exhaust fan.
The breakfast was very nice, and the waiting service was great. The brunch and evening restaurant was also very nice. We plan to return next year. I would recommend this to everyone, but not to families with more than four people.

Reviewed October 19, 2008

Given the historic nature of The Arlington I try to cut it some slack, but over the years that has become harder and harder. The check-in staff is dour, the lobby shabby and tasteless. Think 1950's, but not cool. The rooms are so worn, and the bathrooms are OLD and uncomfortable. The towels are thin and the linens are scratchy. The rooms are too hot, and if you can get the temperature down, they are damp. For $50 a night it would be a deal. For $150, I am sorry to say it is not. Stay at the Embassy Suites a mile away.

1  Thank Mommy243
Reviewed October 13, 2008

I booked my sister and my hotel stay over a month in advance, explaining that we wanted the spa package with an extra day. He told me the price which I wrote down. Then when we checked out it was over a hundred dollars more than what he said. I was then told there was nothing that he could do about it, but I could write to someone and maybe they would do something. I told him no, I would just warn anyone who would listen to me about the Arlington. Also, you have a choice of parking out on the street if you can find a spot or their valet which will cost you $12.00 a day. They have at lest one valet that will stand there at your door till he gets his tip..
VH