“Sadly Aging”

Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Hot Springs
Dallas, Texas
“Sadly Aging”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

4 of us travel together and expect a good time, so it was disappointing to see the level of (seeming) neglect that has overcome the Arlington. We have stayed there in the past and have truly enjoyed the quirkiness that comes with a grand old property. You should not expect everything be perfect and pristine--that is what adds character. Having said that, there is no excuse to not keep up with maintenance in the rooms. It was explained due to being a temperate time of year, the hotel controlled heating and a/c were off. This made perfect sense to us, so we were surprised to feel the heat was on! Thankfully, the windows do open! . There were some issues with the plumbing which have been addressed with management.

The hot tub and pool area were very well maintained, The hot tub,as usual, was wonderful and is a must visit when you stay there.

We visited the bathhouse for spa treatments--wraps and massages. The services provided were fine-nothing spectacular, but fine. I would probably have them again. My biggest issue with the spa area is the noise level. Since the treatment rooms are upstairs from the bathhouse, any noise tends to echo. It was a bit disturbing to have a relaxing treatment time interupted by staff laughing and talking loudly.

Overall, our visit was ok. I did not go with the idea that the hotel is in perfect condition nor did I expect the most modern amenities. If you are willing to enjoy the ambience of a grand aging hotel and are willing to make some allowances, you will enjoy The Arlington.

I hope the management will take a close look at the overall maintenance of the hotel and decide that it needs more attention. The room rate is not inexpensive. The upkeep needs to justify the expense.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank 13drawers
ArlingtonGM, General Manager at Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Appreciate your feedback on what we do right and what we can do better. The maintenance is ongoing on a buildind that is now 90 years old. It's unfortunate that we have a two pipe heating and air conditioning system that presents some problems in the swings with weather this time of year.
Appreciate your business in the past and look forward to your return soon.

Sincerly,

Bob Martorana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

The variable reviews for the Arlington, to me, show that people should remember that what you see is what you get. We looked at the outside of the building with awe. A wonderful testimony to 1920s architecture. We just knew we had stay there. The lobby is a huge, over-ornate homage to the decadence of the age. But the slight mustiness in the air and arrival at the check in desk shows a tired, slightly cluttered administration. And I'm not surprised. This is a huge hotel in desperate need of a major facelift. The staff were very friendly and efficient and we went up to our room. It was exactly as expected; well appointed, but tired and in some ways a bit sad. The sheets were clean and the bed comfortable. The beautiful original sink was cracked (but so would I be after 90 years)...and the tap dripped (which could be easily fixed). Another issue was with the haphazard dusting. Bizarrely, the bedside cabinets were spotless but the clock radio had 2 months dust on it. We had a good night's sleep and the breakfast, alone in the huge dining room, was OK. So I say this. You're in a fine bit of architecture in grand surroundings right in the centre of town. Free parking, breakfast and a room all for 98 bucks. It's a steal. Give me this, rather than a soulless out of town 'suites' style of hotel, any day. Yes, it's an uphill battle to keep on top of a decaying building but I can only give an average score due to the shortfall in the things they could fix.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tony B
Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedaback on your recent stay. Please accept my apologies for some of the cleanliness and maintemance issues. There are no excuses.

Plase come back and visit us again real soon.

Friendswood, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

I took my son and daughter-in-law to Hot Springs for a mini break from work. A friend recommended the Arlington and I read the mixed reviews on TripAdvisor. I must compliment their web master - the pictures on the website make this place look fabulous. Unfortunately, it is not at all as it appears in the pictures. Yes, it is a historic hotel, but historic does not mean peeling paint, chipped paint, scratchy towels, dirty window sills and windows, mis-matched bathroom fixtures, etc, to me. We stayed in a parlor suite, so that we could have 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a living room to relax in. The space was good, but why do you need a dining room table that seats 10 in the middle of it? The sofa and 2 chairs in the parlor were not comfortable. The coffee table had foot prints on it - you could count all 5 toes! And it was dusted, but never cleaned while we were there! We left the toe prints for the next person. There were 3 televisions, 2 were tube TVs and all were very small with very poor reception. Internet Wi-Fi was poor also. The bathrooms were small, which I expected, but OMG were they horrible!! My sink was cracked and repaired with black stuff, the tub was old and had repair patches all over it, so it was not a consistent shade of white, the toilet was an industrial style toilet, and the wall paper was patched and peeling off the wall. My sons bathroom had a new sink, but did not have a toilet lid, so they were afraid of putting anything on the shelf above the toilet in case it should fall into the toilet. And showering was a challenge - the water was either hot or cold. And when I say hot, I mean scalding hot. We showered quickly to avoid being either frozen or burned. We were concerned about families with children because there was no way to know when the water would change. On the positive side, the beds and bedding were comfortable, but my son did find a large straight pin on his bed coverlet the second day - a straight pin???

The hotel smelled fresh, but the long dark hallways reminded us of the hotel in the movie The Shining. The pool area is on the 7th floor and it has 2 pools, one above the other. Both are old and the area around it is ugly. There is a huge crack in the wall behind the lower pool. There was a once nice deck area that looked over the street, but it is falling down. Instead of tearing it out, they just built a short fence to block you from walking on it. We were on the 7th floor and the elevators were incredibly fast, until you realized that the hotel was mostly empty.

The façade and wrap a round porch of the hotel could be fantastic, but were not. The steps going up to it are chipped and peeling, the porch was dirty and the furniture uncomfortable. Someone had spilled a soda on the porch and it was not ever cleaned up while we were there. The porch was not swept at all the 4 days we stayed there. How wonderful a few rockers would have been, with fresh paint and flowers scattered around.

We only ate in the hotel once. We went down to breakfast. The food was decent but the 2 servers were obviously overworked. We arrived in the grand dining room at 9 to enjoy the breakfast buffet. There were about 8 tables seated with many empty tables. We stood at the podium and waited to be seated. Pretty soon there were 3 other families behind us. I finally went up to a waitress to ask if we were to seat ourselves. Her response was curt - there are only 2 of us, we will seat you as soon as we can. She then signaled us to follow her and she proceeded to seat us at a table with no silverware or napkins. All around us were set tables, why did we get a table she had to set?? Mind you, there were many, many empty tables. I asked for coffee and we served ourselves from the buffet. The only thing the waitress had to do was pour coffee and clean the tables. I was afraid to ask for a coffee refill and we ended up waiting quite a while for our check. After that, we ate out.

We did not use the Spa, so I can not give it a review.

Where was management in this hotel? The waitresses in the restaurant needed help, the lady in Starbucks was overwhelmed and needed help. Why not close part of the hotel down and really refurbish it - bring it back to its glory?? Not put another layer of paint over peeling paint!! And clean the place up, really clean it up!! I love vintage and nostalgic, but I don't like dirty and ugly. This place has potential, but I don't recommend staying here until they clean up their act.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, stay in another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lespow
Thank you for providing the feedback, along with pictures, of your stay in one of our parlor rooms. There are no excuses for the condition and we continue to work hard at ongoing maintenance. The hotel was much busier than in the past for spring break and we were not prepared in our restaurant.
The hotel has a manager on duty 24 hours a day that is available to handle any problems or challenges.I only wish we could have handled your experiences to your satisfaction at that time.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused.

Sincerly ,

Travelers are raving about these Hot Springs hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

It feels like stepping back in time when I visit here. I visited the bathhouse and experienced a hot springs bath. I am a naturally hot natured person and this was probably not the best idea. I got so hot I had to be helped out and stop the experience early (no issues in the hot springs hot tub on the side of the mountain, so not sure what happened!). The staff was great and helped me cool down. I would recommend the experience to others despite my experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I am sorry that your experience was not that good in the bath house. The water in the Hot Tub is actually heated and not directly from the Thermal Mineral Waters which is naturally hotter. I was pleased to learn the staff got you cooled down.

Appreciate the feedback.

Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

It's been more than a decade since I stayed in the Arlington and I'm glad we went. The old style glamour provides a different feel than the newer properties do. It is a very old property and very well kept. We did have one maintenance problem and they had a man to our room within 10 minutes of my calling the office. If your looking for modern, or new, this is not your place. If your looking for a romantic get away, with the historic flair and beauty, how could you stay anywhere else.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
We are pleased that you gave us another opportunity after more than a decade and that you had a pleasant stay.

I trust that you will not wait another 10 years for a return visit. Come back soon !

Thanks,

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

On a recent trip to Hot Springs, my travel partner and I stayed at the Arlington on a whim, after admiring the place from the outside. We had seen some of the questionable reviews, but decided to roll the dice anyways. Man, I'm glad we did. The Arlington really blew us away.

We opted for a historic mineral bath room. We were placed on the 6th floor overlooking downtown Hot Springs - a beautiful view. One of the biggest complaints I see about this hotel is that the rooms are dirty. I didn't experience that at all. Our room was clean and welcoming. The bathtub looked spotless, and the water was as hot as advertised. We really loved the room, and came close to ordering room service, since we didn't want to leave it.

But ultimately, we did venture out, because we wanted to explore the rest of the hotel. The lobby area is absolutely beautiful and well worth spending some time in. We ate dinner at the lobby bar, and enjoyed some live music and dancing. I wish I could remember our server's name - she was fantastic. It looked like she was tasked with serving the entire lobby by herself, but she was cool and calm, and made some time to talk to us and ask about our trip. Give that server a raise! The bar food was...okay. A little on the pricey side, but not horrible.

Pool area was alright. There are two outdoor pools and a hot tub. Can't speak to the pools, since it was just a little too cold to go in, but the hot tub was nice. They advertised having food and drinks poolside in the summer, which I could see being really nice.

The only area that could use some improvement is the parking facility. If you don't opt for the valet parking, you're left parking your car in a somewhat sketchy looking garage a block away. The garage is covered in signs alerting you to the fact that the Arlington is not responsible for theft or damage to your car, which makes me think they've had trouble with both in the past. Luckily, everything was fine for us, but an upgraded parking area would go a long way in guest comfort and satisfaction.

Overall though, we had a blast here. There are so many beautiful details around the hotel, and it was fun to spend a morning exploring the place, and checking out all the cool architectural details. It's an old hotel, and I know that doesn't appeal to everyone. But if you enjoy the idea of stepping back in time, at least for a weekend, I'd say it's well worth your time to stay here. Looking forward to coming back!

Room Tip: Ask for one facing downtown.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
We were pleased that you stopped and took advantage of the hotel the ameneties we have to offer. Really appreciate the detailed review on what we did right and where improvements could be made.
Being in a downtown location does present parking challenges. The garage is patrolled periodically by our security staff.

Please come back and visit us soon !

Thanks,

Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

I visited the bath house and salon based on word of mouth reviews from several long time visitors to Hot Springs. According to them this was THE place to go for the POSH. I have to say the bath house was wonderful. The bath house staff were so nice and made me feel so relaxed and comfortable. That's where the POSH experience ends. Unfortunately the beauty salon was not a good experience. I had requested a massage, facial, manicure and spray tan. The massage was nice, the facial was ok but not what I expected, manicure was basically nonexistent, the spray tan was so bad that I had to return not once, not twice but three times to have it even partially corrected. When I left the third time I still looked like a zebra with the bottoms of my feet being black because the staff had not bothered to offer shoes during my tan. The salon staff was also overheard giving advice of a sexual nature to what appeared to be a 15 year old. I know I wouldn't want a stranger giving my child advice of this nature. I spoke to the manager of the salon and the manager on duty of the hotel, neither apologized for the treatment that I had received or offered any acceptance of responsibility for the staffs
incompetence.

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank JackieAlle
Appreciate your feedback concerning the great bath house experience. I was sorry to learn of your less than satisfactory experience in the salon.
It was my understanding that the rain caused some of the problems with the spray tan. One of the problems with the spray is it must stay dry for several hours. I also understand that our Salon Supervisor spent over two hours and thought all met with your satisfaction.
Our staff did not and would not be offfering and kind of guidance to anyone no matter the age.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused.

Sincerly,