“Will NOT stay there again.”

Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Hot Springs
Carthage, Texas
“Will NOT stay there again.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We just returned home from The Arlington today (July 7, 2013). When we checked in Friday things seemed to be alright, however, Saturday morning when we woke up the ceiling was leaking in the bathroom. We couldn't use the bathroom at all without getting dripped on. I called the front desk and they told us that they would find us a different room, FOUR HOURS later they FINALLY had us in a different room. I also paid cash for our room so I had to put down a $50 deposit and was told that I would get it back upon checking out. When I checked out this morning they tried to only give me part of it back, their reason was that TAXES had gone up since we checked in. The last time I checked there was no taxes on deposits. We had stayed at The Arlington 5 years ago and knew to expect the older feel, however, this time you could tell that they have not kept the place up. Also, we had chose The Lake Hamilton package which included breakfast each morning. The potatoes were very dried out and it was not all that good. WE WILL NOT stay at The Arlington again and I would NOT recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Irving, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Sentimental journey to a lifelong favorite, the Arlington, for Labor Day weekend. Relaxed with Sunday brunch, spa massages, front porch reading, Saturday night combo in the lobby, archive cabinet displays. Area power outtage beyond hotel control made for a few sticky hours. Clean, comfortable vintage property with charm galore. Wonderful proximity to Bath House Row restaurants, shops, sights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen M
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Arlington. Although the room we had initially reserved was not ready when we arrived, the hotel upgraded our room and gave us a discount! The new room had a wonderful view. You need to be able to appreciate the old character of the hotel and not expect modern furnishings. Our room was clean and nice. Our only complaint is with the pool which needs upgrading and to be taken care of better. The service and the food in the restaurant was excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of Central Avenue are a must!
2 Thank 67Dee45
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

If you stay here, please do so for the charm of the historic hotel and for the location. Otherwise, the mattress caved, the bedding was lumpy, the baseboards were dusty, & the walls were thin. We could hear everything in the halls & surrounding rooms. The Arlington could use updating. Giant closets!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank MEn225
Paron
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband surprised me with the spa package for my birthday. The room was okay; old TV, old carpet, not very functional bathroom. The spa package was horrible for me. I knew something was wrong when the 20 minute bath turned into almost an hour. I was sweating so bad and could hardly breathe, then they tried to get me into the sauna (found out later to kill more time). When I finally got to the massage area, there were ladies still there waiting from when I first arrived that were very unhappy. They had been waiting for over an hour. The lady at the desk told me it would be "at least" two hours before I could get a massage. I was not going to sit in that waiting area wrapped in a sheet for two hours with a bunch of angry ladies. I opted for a refund. My husband was also getting the treatment and the cashier assured me she would send him to our room when he was finished. After waiting in our room by myself for about an hour and a half (on my birthday...) I went back down to the spa and there was a look of horror on her face. My husband had been waiting for ME in the spa; she forgot to tell him to go to the room. Totally messed up our plans for the afternoon. I did get a refund only for the massage portion but they acted like it was no big deal and didn't seem to care much about inconveniencing everyone. I would never book a spa session there on a Saturday again. Be careful with the elevators. One of them didn't have a safety feature when the doors closed, and a lady that realized she was about to miss her floor pretty much almost got stuck in the doors. Had it been a child, it would have been detrimental. Definitely not up to code. Also, we had the air on as low as it would go and it wasn't very cool in the room, even though the temperature outside was unusually low for that time of year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a newer TV.
1 Thank Kelley W
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is an historic hotel in a great location. The lobby and bar area are interesting and fun. You can sit outside and watch the world go by. The hotel is within walking distance for most shops and bath houses. Truly a unique hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Cool old hotel. If you like hotels the way they used to be this is a great place. Yes it is OLD, that's Why I stayed there, got to love old architecture!!! If you want a brand new Hotel experience go to a NEW Hotel. This place is a really neat place, with charm, character and pleasantries. Views were wonderful from both sides. We changed rooms because we didn't book in advance, no problem and we had two different but great views. Walk up to the pool area from floors 5 and 6 and walk through the cool pier and beam construction of the deck above. Pool is cool looking, Built into the side of the mountain, water falls from upper pool to shallow pool. Know that walking trails up the mountain are right beside the pools. Have time to explore. Didn't take the walk, this time. The air conditioning isn't the coldest, so check in early, go to room and turn on A/C as low as possible. If you plan to go to sleep before 10 pm on a night the band is playing, Don't get a room by the elevators. The music travels up the elevator shaft as if you were in front of the stage and rooms next to the elevator hear it all! Just saying. Out of pool towels on busy Friday's and Saturday nights.

Room Tip: The air conditioning isn't the coldest, so check in early, go to room and turn on A/C as low as...
3 Thank Tim_Trips