“Needs updating”

Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This hotel has alot of character, and I do think you should stay here atleast once. You should also know what to expect. The lobby bar and entertainment are fantastic, and the hotel is within walking distance of so much. The rooms however really need to be updated. My husband and I booked one of the junior suites. It was nice, but it reminds me of staying in an old house. The water pipes are load and the walls are thin. The water is impossible to regulate and switches from hot to cold often. My experience as check in was also not great. The lady checking me in was pretty rude about my AAA card being expired, although it was really active. The valet and bellman on the other hand were great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and if you can swing it book a suite.
1  Thank natd2
ArlingtonGM, General Manager at Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Appreciate your feedback and recommendations on staying at our hotel. It is an experience to be in downtown Hot Springs and enjoying the band and lobby areas.

There are certainly some challenges in plumbing and sound when it comes to a hotel built 89 years ago. We are always pleased to accept the AAA card for discounts. I am disappointed and apologize for the rude behavior. There are no excuses.

Thank you for your business and the compliments to our valet and bellstaff.

Bob Martorana

Write a ReviewReviews (1,682)

Reviewed March 29, 2013

My family of 4 booked 2 rooms for the thanksgiving holiday (way in advance). Checked in separately with not much trouble. Spend the next day at the quaint bath house which was ok. Spent over 300... Thanksgiving morning we get up. Put on our fancy duds and head to the grand dinning hall. We are however told we couldn't have lunch since we had no reservations and that the dinner service was full and we couldn't get reservations for then either. Puzzled that having rooms there was not a reservation. We asked fir management and was shuffled around waiting on the manager who never spoke to us, just walked past us. We asked fir someone else and got the rudest manager I have ever cone in contact with. First they apologized if we didn't receive an email explaining that it was an open feast not just for guests and we needed to make reservations. Nothing was mentioned to my aunt when checking in. In fact counter lady was telling us all about the good food. Second he screamed at my 70 mom, Told my husband to stay out of it and pointed his finger in his face when he started to charge at me!! Yes I believe someone charging after me would be his business!! Third they did all this to us in front of other people who were trying to have dinner. Would not make any sort of amends. It was awful. We ended our stay and just drove the hrs home on empty stomachs.
Not to mention the gobs of hair in the tub drain--yuk

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank juleep
ArlingtonGM, General Manager at Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Our practice,for at least the last two years ,has been to E mail our guests over the holiday events such as Easter , Christmas, Mothers Day and Thanksgiving encouraging them to make advanced reservations for these popular buffets.
As I personally recall, over five months ago, that they arrived to our restaurant at noon for a party of more than six and demanded a table now. With over 600 reservations we asked ,like always, to step aside, be patient and wait for us to seat our customers with reservations. We would wait list and see if we had any larger groups not show. That was not acceptable for this group.
As I also recall, our staff as well as myself, acted professionally and honestly in our conversations with these guests as well as anyone who we came in contact with. I am sorry to read that they believed that this was not the case. Please accept my apologies.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I took my young daughter to the Arlington for Spring Break and specifically chose this hotel over the newer chain hotels for the history and the charm you just can't "build" into a place. She loved it! Our room was perfectly big enough for two, with a very comfortable bed, it was clean, and the closet was enormous (should have packed more clothes). The bathroom fixtures, though not modern, worked perfectly. The TV in our room was not the latest technology, but I don't go on vaction to watch TV, so could have cared less about it. The location of the hotel is perfect. We used the parking garage (which was less than a block away and had plenty of spaces available) and were able to walk to numerous shops, eating places and attractions while we were in Hot Springs. The trip would have been perfect if only the rain had gone away....
Overall the stay at the Arlington was exactly what we were looking for. I do warn those that MUST have sparkling new and pristine in their hotels...this would not be the place for you; however you certainly are missing out on something special.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Spring Break is always a great time to be in Hot Springs. Appears your family had a great time at the hotel as well as area attractions. Hot springs is so family friendly any time of year.

Thanks for taking the time for the feedback. Please visit us again real soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had a corner king room with an panoramic view. Room was spacious and beautifully appointed. Bed was very comfortable. What more could you ask?

We had a couple of minor issues: it took a long time to get our luggage sent up by the bell service, and there was initial confusion about whether our rate included breakfast (which it did.)

Hotel lobby and grounds are old-World elegant.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor and liked the location
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

The corner rooms are the most popular most are also overlooking central avenue and downtown Hot Springs.

Please accept my apologies for the luggage delay and confusion over breakfast.

Come back and visit us soon.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

All of the negative reviews really annoy me. I always do my homework before staying at any hotel therefore I know what I am getting into. I have been visiting the Arlington hotel since I was a little girl and I am now 41. I happen to love old buildings and nostalgia. Yes the hotel is old, has peeling paint in some places, outdated televisions, extremely old bath fixtures and return vents. Does that bother me? NO!! I am sure the hotel could be amazing if someone with a whole lot of money purchased the property and refurbished ever minute detail. Those things are just not important to me and if they are to you, then you should not stay here. The way I look at is, a stay here is less expensive than a Hampton Inn and you are receiving the gift of staying in a hotel that was originally built in 1875 and then was added onto and portions rebuilt in 1925(the hotel burned to the ground in 1923). I adore the charm the Arlington offers it's guest; I love the old elevators with the antique dial indicators, the old postal box for mailing letters to home, the gorgeous lobby and hotel bar and of course the famous hotel bath house!! I realize the hotel would be so much more if it were completely redone but that would take more money than anyone could imagine and I would rather have it this way than not have it at all. If you don't like it, then please don't stay there but don't run it's good name into the ground and ruin it for the rest of us who want to continue to visit for years to come. And one more thing, the hotel has amazing service; all of our needs are always met and if we do have any type of issues they are handled to our satisfaction.

8  Thank charandgar
ArlingtonGM, General Manager at Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Thank you for your loyality and insight into what you believe the Arlington is all about.

There is no question that if we had unlimited dollars we would re invest as much as possible. From a maintenance department and paint crew we are constantly spending money and time to keep the hotel as fresh as possible. As more money becomes available, trust that we will spend it wisely.

Look forward to meeting you on your next visit to Hot Springs and our hotel.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I came here for a quick girls weekend to check out the hot springs and relax a bit. We wanted something centrally located where we could ditch the car and just walk around town. This fits the bill. You're able to go out to eat, get some drinks, and do some shopping all within an easy stroll...and of course, the bathhouses are right there. The lobby and the hotel itself are something out of another time and it's worth seeing. The free popcorn in the lobby is also a plus. :)

I had read the reviews on Tripadvisor and decided that it would be great to stay somewhere ideally located that had tons of history and personality instead of a chain. Based on one of the reviews, when I called to book the reservation, I requested a room on a recently renovated floor. However, upon arrival, we were told there was no such thing as a recently renovated floor and that the hotel fixes rooms on an "as-needed" basis. Our room was dated, but it was clean. Our particular room had a dial-switch for the lights, which didn't go off at night, so we had to call maintenance. They were prompt and helpful, but we ended up just not using the main light for the rest of the weekend and just relied on the lamps.

We booked a package with breakfast. On Sunday morning it closes at 10 AM so that they can make way for their brunch. It's a buffet, but the staff essentially acted like we were lucky and that it was putting them out when we went down at 9:45. On Monday, we were strapped for time before a spa appointment, so I skipped it, but my friend was ahead of me schedule-wise, and thought she'd head down for a quick bite. She realized she wouldn't be able to make it work when no one came to her table for 10 minutes. She left hungry.

We did a spa treatment at the Arlington -- the private bath and massage -- also part of the package, which was a real treat. I only wish I spent more time there. The people that provided my services were top notch.

Other highlights of the trip: Bathhouse row is really pretty and the Quapaw bathhouse was amazing. We also enjoyed hanging out for a bit at the Ohio Club, an old Al Capone haunt. They served good food too. I'd also recommend Colonial Waffle & Pancake house down the road, not so much Granny's Kitchen.

Finally, as we were there in February, we didn't realize the bathhouses closed early on Sundays. It was a nice day so people recommended we go to Oaklawn, which was really easy to get to from The Arlington.

I'd probably give it a 3.5 since it's so well located and really is a slice of history, but it's not an option.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ellen28
ArlingtonGM, General Manager at Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Really appreciate the time that you took to give us some important feedback to make ourselves better and improve the customers experience.

Your review gave us a clear indication that we need some improvements in our restaurant and maintenance. I was pleased the spa experience and Hotel Springs attractions were highlights to your visit.

Please come back and visit us soon.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

The location is great. Valet service great. The lobby and furniture are desparately in need of upgrades with torn carpet on the stairs leading into the bar creating trip hazards. The lobby furniture is "slick" and needs to be recovered. We tried to eat in the restaurant Saturday night (March 16, 2013) and were told it would be an minimum of an hour wait for our food and then we might not be served as they had run out of everything. This was approximately 7:30 pm. There were "standing" tables in the bar but the bartender told us we couldn't get bar stools to sit down. This left several empty tables where patrons could have been seated spending money on drinks and enjoying the music. The bathroom, in our room, had cracks in the walls and the door looked like it had been chewed up.A gaping hole in the bedroom where the plumbing had been repaired and not closed up. Antiquated check out system. You have to stand in line for a great length of time.

2  Thank rocketman174
ArlingtonGM, General Manager at Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

I am so sorry we were not able to accommodate you in our restaurant or seating in the bar area on Saturday night following the races at Oaklawn. For the restaurant and bar business, in town and at the hotel, it places a strain on available seating when 35,000 leave the track. We do move banquet chairs and high tables from the banquet department in an effort to relieve some of the demand.

Please accept my apologies for the condition of your bathroom and the lobby. Repairs should have been made and we do have plans to replace the carpet once the race season is over.