“Old World Charm”

Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I love the Arlington Hotel Resort & Spa. I know it has its flaws, but what hotel built in 1925 doesn't? The same people have worked at the front desk for at least the last 23 years, that's how long I have been coming here. I adore the buffet in the mornings at the Fountain Room with its Spanish chandeliers and linen-padded flowered walls and old-fashion service that I remember from the movies, the carpets with their unique designs and old world look, the big rooms with 20 ft ceilings and windows you can see the mist from the hot springs hanging over the Pine trees on the mountainside, the smell of the Magnolia trees in bloom that are everywhere, the hot tub sitting on the side of the mountain, the bathhouse, and the pools. I even love the sound of the sirens and motorcycles speeding by. The beds and pillows are so soft and inviting. I always sleep great here.

Room Tip: Don't get a room next to the service elevator. The laundry shute is there and you will hear a ba...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank nelllang507
Write a ReviewReviews (1,682)

Reviewed July 2, 2012

We landed at Hot Springs Airport, got our rental car, & once we entered the Vallet parking garage of the Arlington it was like we stepped back in time. Our room was very clean, spacious, & a nice view of downtown. (room 439) The rooms trim work did have some minor paint issues of cracking & bubbling but it's part of the hotels age & ambiance, nothing to complain about. The Arlington Is Beautiful! We also did the Bath/Spa Package. In our opinion Its as good as any in town, & we have been to several in Hot Springs. The location was perfect for a stroll downtown for shopping, dinner, & dessert. If you are a person looking to find something wrong at the Arlington as many of the reviews i read were, I'm sure you will but for my wife of 23 years & I we had a great weekend & will come again.

DK

Reviewed July 2, 2012

After reading some of the recent reviews and seeing some of the pictures, I was not expecting much from our stay at the Arlington, but thankfully, was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were all spotless. We originally were offered rooms on the back on the 3rd floor. The view was of power lines. It took some convincing of the registration desk, that I would not complain about the heat, but we were moved to the 7th floor and had a lovely view of Central Ave and the park. Again, room was spotless, very old, but I had no complaints.
They let us check in a little early and the lady cleaning the rooms checked to see that everything was satisfactory. She brought us extra shampoo and soap and took care of some other extras for us as well.
The room was noisy, mostly from the street 7 floors below. BUT even when we were on top of the mountain you could hear the noise. It is evidently quite an echo chamber with the mountains on either side and forces the sound up.
We have been going to the Arlington for at least 20 years and it is not the same, but still provided a clean, comfortable room in a great location.
The breakfast is no where close to what it once was and resembled only a little higher quality than the chain hotels, by providing wait staff for coffee, water, as well as white tablecloths and napkins. I wish they had at least a waffle maker, which would have improved it somewhat.
We enjoyed the popcorn in the afternoon and the music at night, as well as a place to sit and watch the traffic on their amazing front porch.
The things that could have improved the trip would be no smoking on porch, better attitude by front desk and waiters.
We were a group that ranged in age from 11 to 82, so the fact that are were satisfied says a lot.
Overall Hot Springs could do with an attitude check, the tourists are your customers, not your unwelcome guests.

Room Tip: I know they will pressure you to take the rooms on the back, but if a view is important to you, ask...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I came into town on a saturday with no reservations. The Arlington had the best rate of all the hotels in town. The location is amazing with easy walking access to many restaurants and shops. When we checke in we chatted with the front desk attendant and got a discount. We got to our room and were pleased. The rooms are old but very clean; however, the road noise was TERRBILE! You can hear everything and there were a lot of motorcycles that went by! I will ask to stay on the back side of the property next time!

1  Thank anje_C
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We just came home from a wonderful 4-day vacation in Hot Springs. We stayed at the Arlington, a grand old Southern hotel, but clean and comfortable. Our room was large with at least 6 feet between the double beds. Like any old genteel lady, she had her cracks and chips, but over-all a great place to stay. Rooms were quiet and well air-conditioned in near 100o weather. Breakfast in dining room was delicious. Spa was O.K. I had a great massage from a man, but my friend's woman masseur was pitiful, a glorified lotion rub. The service in the bath room was great, but the girls in the reception area of spa was too interested in talking to each other. We enjoyed the atmosphere of the spa area. Hotel was very convenient to bathhouse row area. Be sure to eat at The Colonial Pancake and Waffle House and Bathhouse Soapery & Caldarium nearby.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I came to The Arlington many times throughout my youth. It was so glorious & elegant. Twenty years ago, my husband & I came several times before having our son. It was wonderful then, too. So I was very excited to bring my 12 year old son to this magnificent place. What a disappointment. The tiny bathroom is in disrepair - sink falling off the wall, moldy shower curtain, an opening in the wall with exposed moldy & rusty pipes. But even worse was the food. Breakfast was barely average (with dirty silverware). We ordered lunch in the lobby cafe. Chicken fingers were so over cooked, they were inedible. We had a couple of giant pretzles delivered via room service, and again, so over cooked & hard, inedible. That's a lot of wasted money. For some reason, they dont put fitted sheets on the bed, so all the sheets come loose when you get into bed. I know times are hard. But you don't have to serve over cooked food and you can still clean things. We could have saved a lot of money & stayed somewhere nicer.

1  Thank LBofTX
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We were in Hot Springs for the weekend and decided to stay at The Arlington. The location is fantastic and the price was great. When we walked into the lobby we were pleased that the hotel had maintained its original look and feel...I felt like I had stepped back in time. We approached the registration desk to check in and everything went downhill from there! We spent about 30 minutes trying to get the hotel to explain to us why they would not honor the rate that they had quoted to us when we made our reservations. And by "quoted" I mean sent to us in a confirmation email. The front desk supervisor (who apparantly had no decision-making authority) insisted that they did not see our rate in their system so they could not honor it. She then called the events coordinator/director (since we had a block of rooms for our reunion) and he, of course, was no help. When I asked whether the confirmation emails were automatically generated by their systems once a reservation was confirmed - they both said yes. However, because they "don't understand why they couldn't see the rate" - they wouldn't allow us to check in with the confirmed rate. After going back and forth for 30 minutes - and neither knowing what to do - they finally conceded and said they would honor the rate provided in the reservation confirmation (geniuses!). They assured me they would look into the matter and provide an explanation as to why the mix-up occurred. We stayed at the Arlington for four days/three nights and never heard from the front desk again......that is until I received a bill on the morning of check-out indicatin that I owed one penny (that's right, $0.01)....needless to say, I was not pleasant when I had to stop off at the front-desk at 4:30 AM on my way out to catch my 7:00 AM flight out of Little Rock. Fortunately, the man working the desk (had not seen him all weekend) scoffed and said "don't be silly....have a nice day" when I tried to hand him my penny.

NOW, as frustrating as that whole experience was, that was the best part of my stay!! The Arlington is a magnificent hotel steeped in history (and drama) - I get that. And I get that the hotel wants to preserve the original integrity of the hotel - that's cool. What I do not understand is why they cannot apply a fresh coat of paint or replace broken fixtures......or change drapes that are stained with mold. The hotel is worn and every attempt to "preserve" the hotel just looks like a REALLY BAD touch up job completed by your lazy teenage son who just want to get his chore over with so he can just hang out with his friends.......SERIOUSLY!

It is possible to take a hotel that is over 130 years old and restore it to it's orginal glory...or even just close to it; sadly, the Arlington is not an example of this.

If you want to enjoy the Arlington as it may have been in its heyday, then stop in on Friday night for cocktails and to listen to the live band...then leave. If you want to see how a once magnificent hotel can barely stand in the shadows of its former glory, then spend the night in the Arlington...but I wouldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Tip for choosing a good room: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family