“No to the Arlington”

Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Hot Springs
Knoxville, Arkansas
“No to the Arlington”
Reviewed September 29, 2007

I stayed at the Arlington for business, along with 3 co-workers for a total of 4 rooms. The rooms were pretty disgusting looking. It looked like they had painted over dirt, plus there was mold everywhere on vents and in floor of bathroom. Sink fixtures were busted. Room was just yucky feeling. Staff was 100% great. Lobby was beautiful. Elevator didn't work very quickly so we used stairs most of the time. Would prefer to never stay there again.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Mold in rooms.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Slidell, La
Reviewed September 16, 2007

DO NOT stay at this hotel during the motorcycle convention held yearly in Hot Springs, unless you don't mind motorcycles roaring up and down the street in front of the hotel at all hours of the night and day! This year it was held Sept 13-16. Of course, they didn't tell us this when we made reservations, expecting a nice relaxing stay. Ear plugs and a pillow over my head still didn't drown out the noise.
If it weren't for the noise, this hotel wouldn't be a bad deal. It's right on Bathhouse Row, and across the street from a very nice park. Rooms are a little worn, but not bad for an old hotel. A breakfast buffet comes with the room and it was wonderful. On Thurs, Fri and Sat, they have a jazz ensemble that plays in the lobby. Parking is a little inconvenient in that the parking garage is a block away.

• Liked — location, spa, breakfast buffet, music in lobby, history of hotel, price
  • Disliked — motorcycle noise, inconvenient parking, lack of internet, rooms need some renovation
2 Thank JudySlidell
Burleson, Texas
Reviewed September 15, 2007

I too was a little worried about staying at the Arlington after reading some of the reviews, but luckily we had friends that have stayed there multiple times over the years and they highly recommended it. I wanted to surprise my husband with a trip somewhere different for his 65th birthday so off we went to Hot Springs and the Arlington resort. We were not disappointed at all. The reservationist I spoke with was very knowledgeable about the hotel and was very easy to work with. I asked if they had any rooms with a balcony and they only have two but luckily one of those was available. It was not just a balcony it was a huge patio on the 10th floor overlooking the city with a magnificent view. The customer service we received all over the hotel was first class and made our visit to Hot Springs a pleasant and memorable experience. Yes the hotel is old, and certainly they could do more with it to keep it in good shape, but nothing that ruined our stay there at all. I am glad I did not book their package that includes the Belle Riverboat Cruise (I booked that on my own and took another package) since they canceled that at the last minute on the day we were to have our dinner cruise for my husband's birthday. The hotel needs to close out offering that package so the Belle's poor customer service and practices don't hurt their reputation.

• Liked — The atmosphere and history of the hotel
  • Disliked — The food for breakfast which is complimentary with each room reservation - it could have been better
2 Thank vr0811
Lyon, France
Reviewed September 14, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the "Arlington" over the Labor Day weekend. After having read all the previous negative reviews I was very worried, but decided to give it a try after all and am very glad I did! We have fond memories of this hotel and used to come here often with our children 17 years ago when we lived in the USA. First of all it is an OLD hotel with lots of character. If you want a brandnew modern place then you are better off in one of these anonymous hotel chains. Our room (non-smoker, fourth floor facing the road) was spacious and clean and nicely decorated. The only negative side was the entrance door to the room which is not at all soundproof and some very noisy guests who came as a group, checked in way after midnight, woke us up and kept us awake through their inconsiderate behaviour for quite some time. Admittely, the bathroom could do with an overhaul! The old basin was cracked and so was the tub. Surely it can't be that expensive to replace them or at least re-spray the tub!

The staff was friendly and the breakfast reasonably priced and absolutely wonderful. I did not find the pool dirty! Used towels got removed immediately.

We wanted to extend our stay but were told they were fully booked. What a pity - we will definitely come back!!!!!!

• Liked — The lobby and the pool area
  • Disliked — Outdated bathroom and lack of soundproof in room
2 Thank hirondelle11
Cincinnati
Reviewed September 11, 2007

I recently had to attend a trade show at the Convention Center in Hot Springs. From the website this hotel looks awesome. Free parking is a joke, it is two blocks down the street in a creepy garage that no woman should be in alone so I decided to pay the $12 for valet. The lobby looked great but the room was horrible....furniture looked 30 years old, soft mattress, tiny bathroom and the window frame was rotten and split on the outside. Lots of sirens and motorcycles woke me up several times each night. The decor was from the 70's complete with a 19" television. First day I called to give my valet number to have my car brought up and was told "We get your car when you come down here". Others attending the trade show either moved over to the Embassy Suites or stayed like me and put up with it. Food is over priced in the restaurant and not all that good. Mineral bath was nice but if you are modest wear a bathing suit. I didn't know that and had to be naked in front of my bath attendant in and out of the tub and when she washed my legs, arms and back. Also naked when walking through a shower, turning around and walking back to then be draped and taken to massage. Women get female bath attendants and men get males so beware if you are uneasy about it. Massages are done in cubicles so not serene at all. Also, forget about modesty in draping, they just uncover you and tell you to turn over. They use a cheap, hot oil for massage. When it was over my LMT patted me with a sheet and told me I was finished. I asked where the showers were and was told I was "done" to put my clothes on (my oily body) and go. Not at all like other resorts I had other massages! Locals think this place is nice for getaway weekends and such but I truly think they have not seen other places. If you like elegant rooms, restaurants, bars in historic hotels try the Brown Hotel in Louisvillel, KY or the Canterbury Hotel in Indianapolis, IN. Luxury abounds in both and although the Canterbury's rooms are small, they are so warm and cozy you would think you were in a hotel in London. Get with it Arlington or close the place! I left early and stayed my last night at the Peabody Hotel in Little Rock. It was awesome! The room was so beautiful and everything new and tastefully decorated. It was my "saving grace". Without it I would have thought there was nothing good about Arkansas!

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank CincinnatiCarolann

Travelers are raving about these Hot Springs hotels

Mississippi
Reviewed September 7, 2007

We stayed in hot Springs the first weekend of August. Our trip was planned for 3 nights and 4 days. I had wanted to stay at the Arlington, since the "family rate" was only about 20 or 30 more a night than at a "cheap" hotel down by the lake. Still, we stayed at the other place the first three nights. After checking out there we all decided to go stay one night at the Arlington. WE ALL wished we had stayed there the WHOLE trip! Yes, we had some issues, but I will tell you how you can avoid them!

This hotel is old, and some of the rooms have not been updated. Two of our rooms were on the second floor for the smoking rooms, and one we decided, since they were non-smoking anyway, to ask for a room on the same floor as the pool. That was the 7th floor. the 2nd floor was pretty bad, honestly. Although the stuff some people here have said about it being noisy from the street, etc was untrue for us. And what one reviewer said about the 25 fee for a lost key - HELLO it was ON the keys!! This hotel is old and beautiful and has REAL keys, not stupid cards - what did you expect?

So anyway, like I said 2nd floor has not been updated, and the air conditioning was awful It did make for difficult sleeping on that part. If you go, STAY ON THE 7TH FLOOR. That one I can say for sure has been updated, and the air works there! There are other floors as well that have been updated, but I can't recall which ones and don't want to tell you wrong.

The pool is WONDERFUL as is the hot spring water hot tub.
The breakfast!!! WOW!!! I mean every possible breakfast food you can imagine, served in the most lovely eating area, everything was beautiful and delicious! AND FREE except for the top for your wait person. And oh what a wondrous waiter we had!

So, all in all, I would DEFINITELY stay here again! Just would rather be on a floor with air conditioning that works, so watch that. My other review from this trip was from the Super 8 down the road, and what a joke that was to have only paid at most 30 dollars less a night!! With our crowd of 5 adults and 4 children, the breakfast alone MORE than pays for that!

Oh one more thing - the desk staff was wonderful It was after 4 before we got there to see if they had any rooms open, and when I asked the lady about maybe getting a late check out they said we could have til 1 instead of 11 and for NO additional charge! Now THAT is service!! Like I said sooo much worth the additional money and to be able to stay in the downtown area right near everything was a plus as well!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank MississippiFamily
Dallas
Reviewed September 4, 2007

My wife and i stayed at the Arlington for 2 nights this past labor day weekend. Even after reading some of the earlier reviews we decided against our better judgement to stay at this old 1925 hotel.

It was ok once we got used to everyting around us being old, broken and dirty . The pool was dirty and the wall tile was gross enough toi keep me from touching it, needless to say i left in a few minutes. I have seen better rooms at motel 8 then the one we had. The toilet was old and dirty. The so called "free parking" is very limited and a nightmare.

We originally had booked the stay for 3 nights but decided to check out early and leave as on the 3rd morning i worke up to bug bites on my hands and legs. Earlier i discounted that due to the fact that we had visted the Garavan Gardens nearby. After seeing my doctor i learnt these were bed bug bites. I brought this to the notice of the hotel management and asked to be reimbursed for the 2 night stay to compensate for my doctors visit and medication but they quickly decided not to do what was right, why would i want to waste my breath to explain a stupid situation like this and justify myself......as if this is some scan that i use after every vacation.

All i will say is "NEVER AGAIN'. Good Luck if you decide to stay there and dont let the bed bugs bite

• Liked — Lobby and Food
  • Disliked — Everything else
2 Thank popo-tx