“A day at the beach at Lake Catherine”

Lake Catherine State Park
Ranked #12 of 84 things to do in Hot Springs
More attraction details
Owner description: Offers good hikes, but it can be humid.
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Lake Catherine is absolutely beautiful. The camping areas looked like they are kept very clean and the beach and pavilion was very nice.

All reviews
in 28 reviews
"sites"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We spent a week at Lake Catherine with our grandchildren. We will be back! The campsites were spacious and well designed. The restrooms were remodeled and kept clean. There were free organized daily activities for the children. There was a clean swimming beach. The trails were well laid out. Note: for a short walk to the waterfall, run the trail backwards. There was a nice swimming hole at the waterfall. There were good fishing spots for the kids, and friendly help at the bait shop/marina.
I had booked our site on line, and when we got there our trailer wouldn't fit. Even though the park was full, Clint in the office was able to find us a cancellation for the first three nights of our stay, and then worked his magic and found us another site for the rest of the week. Overflow with electricity would have been available , but a regular site was so much nicer. Clint was truly a wonder. He was calm, collected, organized and had such a nice friendly manner as he helped everyone at the check in desk.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husband and I took our family on a hike and discovered beautiful waterfalls and the best trails around.

1  Thank Daffodildawn
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My buddy and I decided to use Lake Catherine as our homebase to enjoy hiking in several of the state parks: Lake Catherine, Lake Ouachita and Petit Jean. The campground was nice overall, but there were several things that disappointed me. First, if you are looking for privacy, this is not your place. We were one of the very few tent campers, and with the number of vehicles crammed into the area with very little vegetation between sites, I sometimes felt like I was tailgating for a football game instead of camping at a state park. We could see the lake from the cul de sac where we were camped, but we also got good views into everyone else's campsite (and vice versa). Secondly, the bathhouse was very messy and often out of toilet paper. I found this very disappointing given the number of park officials riding around in golf carts checking sites. On a positive note, the campground was pretty strict about noise, so even though crowded, the fully occupied park stayed pretty quiet at night. And we did see an abundance of geese and ducks roaming around the waterfront.

The part I liked most about Lake Catherine was the hiking, especially the beautiful waterfall. My buddy and I avoided the crowds by hiking the longer, more challenging and far less traveled Horseshoe Mountain and Dam Mountain trails, which both included stops at the falls. Both have nice overviews of the lake and elevation changes that sufficiently tired me out. By combining both trails, it made for a long, but satisfying day of hiking. One note: the trails were vary narrow in places, and the grass was very high at the higher elevations. Hikers may want to consider wearing long pants if tall grass is a problem. I also wish I had brought my hiking poles because parts of the downhill were a bit steep. Still very nice hikes that were very easy to access from our campsite.

I am still rating this experience as Very Good because some of my issues with the campground come from being inexperienced as a tent camper in a busy campground dominated by RV/campers. Had we tent camped in an RV site that backed up to the woods , I may have been singing a different tune.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This place is about 30 minutes drive from lake ouachita state park. There is a small swimming area, I didnt go in the waters but did see a bunch of people there either playing or floating. I did see people kayaking and paddling too.
I wouldn;t call it a snake show but they do have some snakes which you can hold and take pictures with. I did get a snake scarf i.e. snake around my neck.
The best part of the trip was the waterfall, you can get to it from 2 different sides, one is a 2 mile hike and other is less than a mile walk. Most people stayed away from the waterfall, I actually went below it. Cant really explain how it feels to get below the water fall. You have to experience it your self. :)