“I wanted to like it...”

Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Hot Springs
Angleton, Texas
“I wanted to like it...”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

First, the good. The hotel is clean and quiet. The view is also great if you are facing the lake. There are, however, some big downsides. One, there is not nearly enough parking with the hotel is at max capacity. Also, the breakfast area is very small. You really had to get the food and go to your room.

The bigger problem I had with this hotel was the fire alarm does not go off in your room!!! For some reason, the fire alarm went off at 10:30 PM when we were staying there. We heard someone had been smoking in their room. Okay, that happens...but we barely even heard the alarm!! It was going off in the halls for a long time, and we had no idea. If it had been a real fire and we were sleeping, I am sure we would have not waken up. I have some tiny kids so I really was bothered by that. Otherwise, we had a fine stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Staybridge S, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Hot Springs, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
I apoligize you were not able to find parking at our hotel however, we do have limited parking spaces because we are right on the hill to overlook the lake! If guests bring more than one vehicle per room, our parking does fill up quickly.
Our smoke detectors are VERY sensitive and if anyone is smoking or even cooking in their rooms-It sets it off. You probably did not hear it because we turn it off directly after it goes off if there is not a fire. If there was ever a real fire, I can assure you that our hotel staff would make sure that you and your family were to get out safely.
If you would like to speak to me more about your concerns, please feel free to give me a call at 501-525-6500.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Booked in March for a stay in late July. Taxes have gone up around $20 for our 2 night stay but we were told they were still lower than closer into Hot Springs. Hotel was more busy on Friday night than Saturday. The location was good and close to some restaurants. We had a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom room, which for 4 adults was nice. The counter was sticky and the air vent in the room was dirty, had alot of fuzz debris. Also, on the weekends, you do not have daily maid service. Our used towels were taken & new towels were not returned, so we had to find the cart in the hall and ask for new ones...I don't know if this was standard, but just what we experienced.

We used the washer/dryer after we picked up my son from his 2 week camp...Figured might wash it here with the free washer/dryer. I will say it was very nice to complete 7 loads of laundry in less than 2 hours. However, the HE washing machine was moldy and smelled like cigarette smoke. I imagine the cleaning crew does not maintain the machines.

Overall, location was good...parking was not a problem. Facilities were newer but could be more attention to detail is needed. Everyone enjoyed the breakfast buffet which was more comprehensive than your standard continental breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Staybridge S, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Hot Springs, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your most recent stay at our hotel in Hot Springs, AR! We apologize for the inconveninece you had while at our property. Our housekeeping staff does service daily. The only time they do not go into a room to do service is when there is a Do Not Disturb sign or a Later Please. The laundry person goes in first to remove the dirty towels and the cleaning crew comes in after to service the room. Our maintenance staff does daily cleaning on all of our ammenities we offer at the hotel but thank you for letting us know about the issue. We appreciate all feed back from our guest, that way we can work harder to please you. Our scheduled monthly deep clean on the hotel is August 5th, 2013. We hope to see you at our property next time you are in the Hot Springs area!
Plaq. Louisiana
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My recent experience at Staybridge Hotel, HotSprings was not one I would like to repeat. The manager and some of her employees were crude and very racial towards me and my fellow travelers. I was horrified at some of the things that were said to us and done to us. In particular, the pool was closed down for the duration of our stay, because she stated that there were "oils from people's skins and hair in the pool and it needed “maintenance”. We were accused of trashing their movie room and a variety of other things. We were called on several occasions, reference to stumping in our room even when the room contained adults sitting on the floor. A number of other things occurred that caused us to have to modify our vacation mode and switch to a mode of caution. We are a church group and in 10 plus years have never had a problem, in fact, our children have always exemplified behavior indicative of who we are. They are well mannered and well behaved. This hotel received over $12,000 from us and treated us as second class citizens. We were promised certain amenities and they were not available to us. Our rooms were to have sofa sleepers, but we were told that the rooms we were in did not have them. We were also charged an additional fee when we arrived after having paid in full two months prior to our arrival. The pool, which was an integral part of our vacation, was closed and said not to be opened until 12:00 on the day of our departure. This also was not true. We checked out at 10:am and the pool was open shortly thereafter with people in it. As you probably have determined, we are an African American group and I feel we were truly discriminated against. This experience placed a dark cloud on our week long vacation that we had worked so hard for. I should add that we were not the only people at the hotel, nor were we the only people of color, but it appeared that we were the only people charged for these offenses; we certainly were the only ones who seemed affected by them. We were even accused of causing the air conditioner to freeze up by running it....imagine that. And, one other thing, the manager also told us that during our social, which we were told we could have, everything would be ok as long as we did not make any noise after 10:00 because at that time she would be able to call the Police. Wow! Really! Call the Police for your guest...The discriminative behavior was blatantly obvious and felt by all of us, children included. No, I do not recommend this hotel and would like other African Americans who venture there to be very leery. I am not sure if this attitude exemplifies the overall culture of Hot Springs, but what I am sure of is, and it is a fact that everything that looks good to you is not necessarily good for you! A valuable lesson learned for our children and for us.

Room Tip: Make sure you choose wisely the hotels you stay in.
1 Thank Wanda J
Staybridge S, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Hot Springs, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
I apologize that you and your group felt discriminated against, that was not our intention in any way.
Our pool needed maintenance because the bather load of our pool is 20 people and your group had 70+ people in our pool at one time. The pool was actually not opened up to our guests until 4PM on Friday, July 26 due to the chemicals still being out of balance. Your group was not the only group that was not able to experience the pool-The whole hotel could not swim either.
There were children running throughout the hallways throughout the night and a member of your group did call down complaining about those children. We did call up to your group coordinator and then members of the committee came down but once you found out it was a member of your group that made the complaint, you quickly apologized.
Only certain room types have sleeper sofas and your group coordinator should have been responsible to make sure that every one had a bed to sleep in. We cannot control how many people your group coordinator put into each room. We also showed her the email where she was made aware of that fact.
The additional fee was a tax rate change. That was for the State of AR and it was not just from Staybridge-It was the whole state and every reservation coming in will have another charge-This was not just for your group.
One thing that I would like to bring to your attention is the fitness center and how we not only were taking care of the children in there but also keeping them from getting severely hurt because we did not know where their parents were. Your group had multiple children in our fitness room misusing the equipment. It was brought to Adam's attention twice within 45 minutes with some regular guests that were concerned for their safety as well and he did remove the children from the room.
I told your group when we had our meeting that I treat this hotel as my HOME. Not only do I treat this hotel as my HOME but my entire staff does as well. Not only I, but my staff is also very disappointed that this has been brought down to it being a discriminatory matter as we have a hugely diverse, even worldwide, clientele which we strive to not only satisfy their expectations but exceed them.
Please feel free to call me at 501-525-6500 if you would like to discuss this further. I honestly thought we had already taken care of all of your groups concerns before your group left the property.
Gaylord, Michigan
Reviewed July 29, 2013

How could someone make this a 4.6? Not sure how some one could give it a low score. The hotel is located at the end of Central Ave across the 3 bridges that lead a person into town. The only thing that could be changed is the entry way, but the hotel could not do anything to change that, only the Highway Department. We had a wonderful time there. When you stay there make extra sure you go by Shipley's donuts for an extra little treat. Shipley's is on one of the islands you will cross to get to the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed 3 nights and the hotel gave us a 'handicapped' room 2nd floor. I'm, not sure w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Staybridge S, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Hot Springs, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel in Hot Springs, AR! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again at our property next time you are in the area!
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The location was great. It was easy to find & close to everything. Great view of the lake. The property was well maintained & the staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were very spacious and very clean. The complimentary breakfast had a good variety of food.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel in Hot Springs, AR! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your view of Lake Hamilton. We hope to see you at our property next time you are in the area.
okla
Reviewed July 17, 2013

What a great room, great view, staff was friendly and helpful. Only thing I wish is they had more parking space, to take a boat it makes it a little tight on parking. We parked in the parking lot first couple of nights, the last night we parked on street, and someone still parked so close to us that it made it hard for us to manouver our boat and truck out. But the hotel is wonderful.

Room Tip: I requested upper floor away from noise. was perfect.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Staybridge S, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Hot Springs, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay in Hot Springs, AR! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your room and our staff! Our location provides beautiful views of Lake Hamilton, however it does make the parking lot somewhat difficult to maneuver at times. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Hot Springs!
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Don't bank on room service, I was there for one week and never saw the Room service staff. Which is surprising because motel 6 gives you daily room service. I ended up cleaning the place myself. Not so friendly staff. To sum it up, I will not be a guest here for the price I paid EVER AGAIN!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ahhhh113
Staybridge S, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Hot Springs, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel in Hot Springs, AR! I am sorry to hear that you had to clean your room yourself. Our housekeeping staff is here daily however, if you have a later please or do not disturb sign on your door our staff respects your privacy and will not enter your room. We hope that next time you are in the Hot Springs area you come back and give us another try.