“Some yummie BBQ”

Old Canal Smokehouse
Ranked #1 of 86 Restaurants in Chillicothe
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chillicothe, Ohio
“Some yummie BBQ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

We went for lunch. Our server was great. started out with potato skins. They were good; could use more toppings. My husband had the pulled pork and brisket with the macaroni and cheese. I had the pulled pork and the homemade chips. Our meal was good. I enjoyed the different BBQ sauces on my pulled pork. Only downfall is the price of your pig wings. There is a bar in Chillicothe that has them for a better price and at Johnny Rockets there a little cheaper. Would be nice if they had burnt ends and pulled chicken.

Columbus
“Love these small town restaurants”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stopped here, ate on the patio on a gorgeous, sunny spring Sunday. Had just visited the Hopewell Culture NPS. Had husband and two kids in tow. Patio was clean and spacious. Seemed like there were lots of muffler-free vehicles out on the road in Chillicothe, but otherwise a perfectly pleasant patio. Had the brisket which was a bit tough but fairly tasty. The corn pudding is interesting. Rather more of a really thick creamed corn. Slaw was good. Kids had burgers which were quite good, but the star of the dinner was the homemade potato chips. They were fabulous! Service was attentive, quick, and oh, so friendly. Would absolutely go back should I find myself in Chillicothe again.

Pomeroy, Ohio
“Great Food and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

My husband and I like to ride our motorcycle and try to find new places to ride to and have lunch or dinner. We took the scenic route to Chillicothe, OH and found the Old Canal Smokehouse to be a great place to eat. We ordered the sampler appetizer platter that had amazing coconut onion rings, 2 loaded potato skins, 2 giant stuffed mushrooms and 2 monster size chicken wings. There was so much food on this platter that we could have shared it as a meal and been full and everything tasted so good. My husband ordered a rib eye that he says was grilled to perfection. I had the baby back ribs which fell off the bone. They had a hint of smoke flavor and the sauce was really good. Our server was very pleasant and he stayed on top of things. We didn't wait for our salads, appetizers or main course and he made sure our glasses stayed full. There is plenty of parking around the restaurant as well as out door seating. This is definitely a place that we'll be visiting again.

Chicago, Illinois
“Great smokehouse flavors!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Although we live hundreds of miles away, we've had two chances to visit. Our first time, in spring of 2012, we pulled up in front of the restaurant only to learn that it had suffered a fire. Really bummed after going out of our way. Back again in spring of 2014 - they're open again. Stopped in for dinner on a cold Tuesday evening. Would have loved to be able to sit outside in the patio, but not to be. Instead we sat inside a warm restaurant to enjoy a delicious smokehouse meal. I got the chicken while my wife got the brisket and pork. While the meat gets the headlines, I think their sides are equally amazing. Great service, delicious food, historic location: hope we don't have to wait two more years to go back.

Ohio
“The Smokehouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have been eating at The Smokehouse ever since it opened. A friend of mine taught the first owner (I don't know if he still owns it, I haven't seen him since it re-opened after a fire) so we were two of the guinea pigs for his new brisket dinner -- this was L-O-N-G ago. It came as close to melting in your mouth as meat ever can or will. Their smoked pulled pork is also incredible. And don't forget the homemade chips -- they are indescribable! They have great portions too so the review that suggests being ready for a takehome box is right. And to top it all off, they don't overcharge -- a meal that would cost $50-$75 in Las Vegas (IF they had comparable meals) will cost less than $20 here.

• Visited March 2014