“The Worst Hotel Experience of My Life”

Americas Best Value Inn Chillicothe
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Chillicothe
Rochester, NY
“The Worst Hotel Experience of My Life”
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Unfortunately the only choice was a smoking room as my visit was during a holiday weekend, and non-smoking rooms were unavailable. I am looking beyond the smoke stench of the room and how it permeated all the contents however, to give this review. The whole place was obviously decades old. Doors/walls had been painted many times. The carpeting was so sticky I dared not walk barefoot. The 'dresser' was made of the cheapest particle board possible, and was of course many years old as well - and ready to fall apart. Nothing appeared really clean, although there was no obvious signs of recent dirt. No hair in the sink or tub. I guess a good description would be 'dingy'. No blow dryer in room. Had to go to the front desk to borrow theirs. (Also I was given the room's TV remote at check in - sticky and old, jut like the TV and everything else.) Anyway, after about 5 minutes of blow drying, it overheated. Couldn't even finish drying my hair! Also, their internet access was very poor in the rooms and I kept losing my connection.At checkout, my bill was totally screwed up. They tried to charge me for an extra day. They even charged my account more than my signed receipt! After calling them on their attempts to rip me off, they managed to miscalculate (in their favor, of course!) how much they owed me for the overcharging they had done. Had to watch them like a hawk at checkout. Do not waste a moment of your time here!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank ewilson7864823

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Stow, Ohio
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We were passing through Chillicothe on a one tank trip out of our home town for a weekend getaway, so we had no formal hotel reservations. Upon arrival in the town, it seemed like a good place to pull off for the night and I have stayed with this chain before. The front desk clerk, albeit extremely fatigued, was pleasant enough as she handed the key under a presumably bullet-resistant barricade (standard, I presume, for this style of hotel). We parked outside our room, two doors down from the office, and went in. The accommodations were quite comfortable, with a small TV that featured free HBO and a rather modern climate control system considering the rate we were given. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the rate included a free continental breakfast (although there were also several chain restaurants within walking distance). Overall it was a convenient place to stay over especially if you are visiting the small town of Chillicothe. Be advised, NOTHING in this town opens before NOON on Sunday! :-)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Fenton, Michigan
Reviewed January 18, 2007

Ratings:

Room ** (2 stars - Furnishings old but functional. Beds were comfortable. TV worked good)

Bathroom ** (2 stars - Clean and functional. Rust stains on toilet)

Continental Breakfast ** (2 stars - Donuts, plain bagels, cereal, milk, juice)

Staff **** (4 stars - Courteous and helpful. We had a dead battery in the car when we were ready to leave. I asked the front desk for help, and they sent someone back with some jumper cables to give us a jump.)

Note: This motel has two buildings. We stayed in the back one away from the office - which may be newer or less heavily-used than the building in which the office resides. That may explain some of the less positive reviews posted here.

• Liked — Inexpensive, and location near the freeway.
  • Disliked — Bedding and carpeting somewhat worn, but not bad.
  • Stayed December 2006
    • Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2005

This hotel is the worst experience we have ever encountered. We choose this hotel for it was very late at night and we were tired from traveling from Virginia and the Holiday Inn Express next door appeared full.

The rooms are very, very outdated and dirty. A recliner in the room was stained on the seat area and the head rest area of the recliner was soiled with body oil. The shower tile was also covered of body oil.

We did not discover until the morning that our A/C was not cooling. Had to get ready with sweat rolling off our face and back.

The room had a urine odor in the morning.

The bedspread and blanket was very old, worn, and dirty.

The toliet would not flush properly and was very loud.

The front desk employee did not care that we were very unhappy about our stay.

I wished I would of checked TripAdvisor first. From now on, we will check the room first or get a refund and leave before we ever get in this situation again.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Monroe, OH
Reviewed June 30, 2004

Moldy, dirty, rundown... Be afraid - be very afraid!

14 Thank Rod V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chillicothe
Rodeway Inn
#2 of 8 in Chillicothe
Hampton Inn and Suites Chillicothe
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chillicothe
Ameristay Hotel Inn & Suites Waverly

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Chillicothe? Share your experiences!