“Lovely”
Review of Haven Vietnam

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quy Nhon
Haven Vietnam
Ranked #1 of 52 Quy Nhon B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed here in February and had a lovely time. We only stayed two nights but would happily have stayed longer.
Gavin and Steve were excellent hosts alongside the other staff members. They made us feel welcome from the outset and responded quickly to our e mail queries prior to arrival.
A pick up from the train station was arranged and we were taken straight to the Haven. On arrival we were lead through the village, we really did not know what to expect, but a huge welcome and lovely views met us.
We had the meals provided in the evening which were delicious and well worth it, the hosts were chatty and interested and gave us good advice for our further travels...thank you.

The beach was quiet and the village was a real treat at lunch time. The locals were friendly and although they do not speak English, there was plenty of chatter!

We would highly recommend staying here for a relaxing stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Rosemary C, Manager at Haven Vietnam, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review
for Haven. We are so happy you enjoyed your
stay with us!
It's the guests that help to make Haven special,
thanks so much for your company and we hope
to see you again soon.
Safe travels
Gav Steve and all the Haven family

There are newer reviews for Haven Vietnam

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We loved everything minute of our 4 night stay in Haven. Nice rooms and a fantastic view over the sea. The food was delicious and everything day a surprise again. Gavin, Stephen and the rest of the staff are very friendly and helpfull.
Haven is situated in a non touristic area! We loved it there. For sure we shall recommend this little paradise to family and friends.

Henk and Wil hoevenberg

Stayed: March 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words about
your stay at Haven. Our co managers Gavin and
Steve would also like to thank you for recommending
Haven to other people on your travels, they have
also been wonderful guests. They also very much
enjoyed your company!

Safe travels and we hope to welcome you again
to Haven
Kind regards
Rosie Huw Gav Steve and the Haven family

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Haven Guesthouse
To 2, Khu vuc 1, Bai Xep
Phuong Ghenh Rang, Thanh pho (10 kms south of Quy Nhon town)

Website: http://havenvietnam.com/ Email: info@havenvietnam.com

GPS Coordinates: N 13º 41’ 08.6”, E 109º 13’ 52.2” (position format degrees, minutes, seconds)

Dates of Stay 02-10-14 to 02-20-14

This is a review or room #4 (Double with private balcony)

So to be fair, I want to try and provide a balance for all the reviews here that provided high marks. I struggled for days after we left about the pros and cons of this place, a guesthouse, B&B, or?

I can see how a person might give this place top marks if he booked a dorm bed, inclusive with a morning meal and only paid 200,000d for the evening, which must be often the case. We had booked the 2nd floor, private balcony room at a confirmed 700,000d last April but only found out after we arrived the rate was 750,000d. Granted, $2-$3 more was not the issue. The issue was that we were not notified of the price increase prior to arrival. Looking back, I suppose this left a sour taste in our mouth for the beginning of our 10-day stay.

Bear in mind, there are many hotels in Quy Nhon town that can match this price-point, some with ocean views as well. (We stayed in Quy Nhon town for four nights prior to traveling out to Bai Xep, where Haven is located.)

A lot of the Haven rules and regulations don’t align with most any hotel, B&B, or guesthouse I’ve ever stayed in. That being the case, the guesthouse should publish these on their website to make people understand what they are before coming here.

Check out is 10 AM, which is sort of early in the hospitality world, where noon or even later is the standard. This was no major concern for us as we checked out at 7:20 AM on our last day so we could get an early start for our drive to Nha Trang.

Laundry is 40,000d/kilo (absolutely no washing of clothes in the room’s sink, bath, or shower I was told). However, the regulation reads, “Do not hang wet washing in rooms or dorm room, it damages furniture and is unpleasant for other guests.” So for me, the rule doesn’t prohibit washing or rinsing of clothing in the bathroom sink; it merely says not to hang it in the room for drying because it will damage furniture.

Hanging rinsed out laundry on the second floor balcony room isn’t specifically mentioned and a private balcony, where damp clothing is hanging, doesn’t damage furniture and can’t be unpleasant to other guests because it doesn’t have an odor not can it be easily seen (see picture of the second floor balcony). If the least bit of water drops on the balcony tile flooring from a drying piece of laundry, how is that more damaging than the water that pelts the balcony floor during a rainy day or typhoon? No, this is nit-picking in my mind and perhaps a better directive for the backpackers dorm. The laundry rate is more than double that of what they charge in the Nha Trang tourist area (16,000d/kilo). But you’re a captive audience when you travel to Bai Xep.

What I found unpleasant was not having hot water delivered at the sink to wash my hands after using the toilet. It's only a cold water tap. It’s sort of unpractical to use the shower handle for hot water to clean your hands.

All rooms and balconies are no smoking, which wasn’t a problem for us because we don’t smoke.

Because Haven wasn’t opening until 10 days after Tet, we stayed in town at the Muong Thanh Hotel. Our private car driver, Vinh, picked us up at our hotel in Quy Nhon town around 11:45 AM and drove us south, about 10 kilometers to the village of Bai Xep, where the Haven Guesthouse is located. We had taken the advice of Huw and Rosie to use Vinh’s services, not only because he knew how to get to Haven, but also offered to help us take our luggage and walk the final couple hundred meters to the guesthouse, which narrows to a cement path winding through the village to Haven right at the beach sand. A car cannot travel right up to the property. Keep this in mind if you have lots of luggage and you arrive by any other public transport.

It is highly unlikely that any other taxi would provide the service that Vinh did, much less provide portage service! Any other taxi might drop you off on Highway 1 to leave you on your own. We had two large bags and three smaller bags due to our extended time in Vietnam, and I don’t know what we would have done without Vinh. Haven has nobody that can help with luggage I was told. This is okay for backpackers but not for folks with more bags. To be fair, on our departure, one of the two stand-ins for the owners, who went on holiday, helped us with our luggage along with Vinh. Thanks Steve!

Room

Room #4 is the most expensive room and located on the second floor. It has a wide private balcony with excellent views of palms and the ocean a few meters beyond. The location cannot be faulted once you’re installed in your room. Huw and Rosie were there to greet us along with their very friendly and accommodating staff.

The room is of medium size with a separate bathroom sink, toilet, and shower (no bath). There were also two stools in the bath and one of them had dirty footprints on it, which my wife cleaned up arrival. The bathroom had no odors and was otherwise clean. We still wonder why the stools were in the bathroom and for what purpose they served.

The shower hot and cold faucet (regulator handle) was difficult to adjust or regulate. One had either cold or very hot water. Finding the right spot to turn the handle was difficult. When we found the point that either wasn’t too hot or too cold, the water pressure was not optimum and was rather weak.

Bedding and towels are only changed when you requested so. Otherwise, they are changed once a week if you are staying longer. We had ours changed after five days.

We were disappointed not to find a closet or free standing armoire to hang our clothes, so we more-or-less had to live out of our suitcases or place clothing on chairs, tables or wherever. Each side of the large bed, had two nightstands, each with one drawer and a single shelf cabinet below with a locking door. It wasn’t clear if this was meant to be a safe of sorts or just a place to store your clothing. An armoire is required for their larger private rooms, especially for guests staying for many days.

In addition to a high up, wall mounted air-conditioner, there is a powerful fan, which was adequate for the time of our stay. The weather was mild with several overcast days and many clear ones as well.

The room did not have a refrigerator, probably because guests are not allowed to bring food or drink into Haven rooms, although I saw one guest take his bag of food from the guesthouse refrigerator to his room. Actually, the room regulation reads, “Do not bring food or drinks into Haven - we are not self catering.” So if I bought a 400,000d bottle of wine from Haven, could I bring it up to my room and pour my own glasses while sitting on my private balcony? I would say the answer would be yes. If Haven didn’t have my favorite wine, could I buy my own bottle and drink it from my private balcony? The rule says no (because it’s “not self catering”). That is too rigid if true. Same goes for beer or any other favorite drink a guest might like to enjoy during his alleged vacation stay.

There is a large bottle of water in the room that contains as much purified drinking water as you need. If you run out, you can ask for more. Unlike most hotels, you will not find a water cooker, hot water pot or tea bags in the room. Tea or coffee is included with breakfast and optionally with dinner (150,000d/person). There is a charge for tea or coffee outside of these meals.

Our room, which again was the most expensive one, had two chairs and a table inside the room, two stools inside the bathroom and one chair and one small table on the balcony. There was also a five foot wide bench chair in the room. It’s difficult for me to sit directly on anything without cushions. I’ve stayed at B&B’s, guesthouses and hotels costing a third less that provide soft couches and chairs in the room. (We’re currently at the Carpe DM hotel in Nha Trang, and our $22/night Superior room has soft a padded couch and chairs, http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293928-d2244757-Reviews-Carpe_DM_Hotel-Nha_Trang_Khanh_Hoa_Province.html and much more.)

Outside the room at Haven, there are loungers and hammocks in the courtyard. Smokers can sit at a table along the fence line separating the property from the beach sand.

The room had no proper safe and guests are meant to store their values with the guesthouse. There was no hair dryer in the room but my wife was able to borrow one from one of the staff. Passports were not kept after they were copied and handed back to us shortly after checking in.

TV

Our room, I suppose like all at Haven, had cable TV with many channels. For early evenings in, there were dozens of TV channels. the vast majority being Vietnamese as one would expect. With cable and satellite, there is no shortage of other channels, and I found several channels being broadcast in English, including:

Animal Planet
Star Sports
TLC
TV Australia
and more

This is a very large selection of English speaking channels for any guesthouse or hotel in Vietnam. But how much TV does one really watch while on vacation?

Breakfast

The breakfast is fairly basic. It’s primarily a set menu of high carbs (things like a few pancakes, a baguette, oatmeal). Most hotels I’ve stayed at in Vietnam, at a 750,000d per night price point, offer much more variety buffet style, which means if you want more eggs, soup, congee, they are available buffet style. The amount of food served at Haven’s breakfast appears to have been meant to serve everyone eating and not much more. Here are some samples of what was served for breakfast during various mornings:

Bacon (not much)

Hard boiled egg

Bacon
Scrambled egg

Yogurt

Everyday, the following was also served:

Butter
Jam
Coffee
Tea
Vegemite
Marmite

One morning, my wife, who is a bit picky (but eats healthy) was faced with eating a baguette, scrambled eggs, and mixed fruit salad (we ate this same salad the night before at dinner). So she could eat the baguette but only took a little of the scrambled egg (perhaps a couple teaspoons). She didn’t care for the mixed fruit salad. Somehow she came to learn from one of the kitchen staff, there was some stir fried vegetables left over from the dinner (we had bought and participated in the night before). They warmed it over for her, and she was satisfied with a baguette, leftover stir fried vegetables and a couple teaspoons of scrambled eggs. Not much. Nobody was really put out, and it wasn’t like anyone asked for something they didn’t pay for the night before.

When we returned from town the same afternoon, I was approached by management, who told me that it was unacceptable for my wife to ask if there was something else to eat, which a member of Haven’s staff readily offered! Huh? I wondered why I being admonished? This was a management problem and not one for the guest. If it was unacceptable to offer a guest leftovers from the previous night (a dinner for which we paid for), why aren’t staff directed not to offer such food? Instead, I felt like I was being blamed for the entire problem. Unacceptable in my book.

The dinner above is optional at 150,000d per person, you can have dinner served family style and eat with Huw, Rosie, other guests and one or two other staff. The Vietnamese style food and cooking was quite good and the fixed menu changed daily. Much of the food is sourced locally within the village. Staff seem to cook just enough, so there will not be much if you would like a bit more, like steamed rice. How much does rice cost in Vietnam?

For the first two nights, and one later, we took the dinner meals but we opted to take the bus into town and eat there from the many very good and inexpensive restaurants for the balance of our stay. Even after paying 18,000d for a trip into town and 18,000d for the return bus, a couple can eat nicely in town, even seafood, for less than 150,000d/person, not to mention to see or take care of other things.

The only cautionary note about going into town by bus is that the last bus leaves Quy Nhon town for Bai Xep (where Haven is located) at 18:30, so your evening meal will more likely be a late afternoon affair if you want to take the bus back. Otherwise, taxis will gladly take you back to Bai Xep for the sum of about 200,000d. Factor this into your decision for late evening meals. Saving a few dollars wasn’t our motivation for not taking more meals at Haven - choice and variety was.

Common Areas

Haven appears to have two main buildings divided into various types of rooms and a common outside (under roof) sitting area, dining area, bar, small sharing library all combined into one more-or-less open air room. It’s quite nice. The only problem in the evening is the mosquitos or mozzies. Even the mosquito coils they light up in the evening didn’t seem to deter these creatures. I was bit up badly, even when using repellents.

The sitting area can easily handle 10 guests and the bar another four or five. The dining table can handle perhaps eight guests or 10 if required.

An honor system of helping yourself to drinks and snacks is in force. It’s not clear if snacks can be taken into rooms, as we were told that food in the room attracts bugs. Each room has a book by the refrigerator and you record what you take from the refrigerator during your stay.

Beer, Spirits (presumably a shot) and Soft drinks are 25,000d
Wine - 400,000d bottle
Snacks, like Snickers, M&M’s, Pringles, etc. - 25,000d or as marked
Tea and Coffee - 15,000d outside of breakfast and dinner

Items listed on the chalk board included:

BLT (bacon, lettuce and tomato) sandwich for 70,000d
Coffee with coconut ice cream 40,000d
Hummus & crackers 40,000d
Fruit smoothy - 40,000d

The management tallies up everything you’ve consumed for the day and places your total for the day in your book nightly. This includes everything consumed including room rate, optional evening dinner taken, laundry, drinks and snacks. It’s quite good and not many proprietors now-a-days have such an honor system in place.

If you bought a bottle of wine that you did not finish, I was told you could mark your name on it and store it in the kitchen refrigerator. I highly doubt that thieves ever come here, much less anywhere in the village. Then again, cold beers can be had in Quy Nhon for 40% less at any outlet or restaurant, which I presume makes a profit. It’s about being a captive audience.

Pros

Location - Beautiful setting
Ideal for backpackers and good price at 200,000d for dorm room with breakfast

Cons

Once there, you are somewhat of a captive guest for food, drink, and transport
Breakfast is served at a fixed time (8 AM) and items are limited but might suit some

Summary

For me, Haven seems like a place well-suited for backpackers. You can’t go wrong for a 200,000d dorm room and the morning meal. Other than the idyllic location, guests that require a private room might be better off opting for a double room in Quy Nhon for a little more money. I would choose the later for these reasons:

1. Quy Nhon a beautiful walking town. It’s nothing like Sai Gon, Ha Noi, Da Nang, or Nha Trang for starters.
2. Traffic is minimal.
3. There are many hotels offering a wide choice of foods with the included buffet breakfast.
4. We found seafood-based dinners for two quite reasonable and cheaper than 150,000d per person.

There will be many options to chose off a menu (including seafood) for the same price. For example; four of us had a large menu consisting of whole roasted fish, fish soup, sweet and calamari, two dishes of stir fried on-choy, four clay pots of rice (com nieu) and drinks, including beer for 404,000d (less than $5/each).

5. There are many hotels on the beach or one street off the beach.
6. At beach hotels, there are no restrictions of what foods one can bring into your room and placed in your refrigerator (except for Durian). You can buy foods and beverages to stock in your room refrigerator and take them any time day or night. Haven, as the rules and regulations say, “is not self-catering”, which means that you’re not meant to bring in your own drinks and food. Besides, the room doesn’t have a small frig.
7. Few restrictions of washing or rinsing a few clothes items and hanging them up in your bathroom or room to dry everyday. Most hotel room floors are tile now.
8. Eat breakfast within a three-hour period and take your evening meal more-or-less whenever you feel like it at a local restaurant or the restaurant’s hotel.

In my opinion, Haven should rethink its rules and regulations; they are vague and should be written more precisely. The guesthouse shouldn’t confront and admonish guests for problems allowed or created by their own staff, even it they were well-intentioned. My wife and I are equals. If the guesthouse has a problem that my wife allegedly caused, they should approach my wife and not me. This particular guesthouse should definitely place all their restrictions and regulations on their web site.

Worst yet, and unforgivable, don’t quote a room rate for a guest and then raise it 7% without his acknowledgement and approval until after he arrives. Saying that you thought you emailed all guests about this increase doesn’t cut it. We made our reservations 10 months in advance. I have my email with the confirming rate but Haven could not produce the message they allegedly sent me (or maybe didn’t). Even if it’s only an increase of $2-$3, it’s the point and not the amount.

Buses into town run more-or-less every hour and the same coming back. The ride is 9,000d and the same back (18,000d for two people - each way). The first bus stops at the top of the turn off to the village around 6:30 AM. One would be wise to be at the stop 10 minutes early as the bus could arrive a little earlier, a little later or not at all like we experienced one day. Also understand the first bus in the morning will be quite full and one might have to stand the entire distance into town. Same applies for the last bus coming back, when working folks return to their villages and again around 1 PM when many students are finished with classes for the day.

Haven has a bus schedule. I took a picture of it and stored it on my phone to refer to during our stay.

05:30 and then approximately hourly until the last bus out of town departs. If you miss the last bus out, your next best choice for a trip to Bai Xep would be by taxi for around 200,000d.

TIP: If you are going into Quy Nhon, and there is no urgent need to be there early in the morning, take the 11:50 AM bus from Bai Xep. All of the morning crowds going into the city will have dissipated, and you will be more likely to get a seat rather than have to stand.

However, and this is important, buses up in this area do NOT adhere to a strict schedule. On our last day in Bai Xep, the bus appeared at 11:30 AM only a couple minutes after we had walked up to the stop. It was 20 minutes early! Then again, maybe the schedule has changed.

3  Thank Richard G
Rosemary C, Manager at Haven Vietnam, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Thank you for providing such detailed information for other guests. However the information in your review is already on our website.
There are so many inaccuracies in your review but we will address just a few to enable other guests to have your comments in perspective.
We did apologise for the 2$ a night rise in rates. This occurred 8 months ago as a result of vietnam electric making a huge increase in the cost of electricity. We did offer you the lower rate should you not feel your room good value.
Yes, food is not allowed in the rooms at Haven. As clearly stated it attracts pests which then requires pest control and may result in unavailability for incoming guests.
There is lunch and dinner great street food available in the village, also at Avani Resort. We encourage guests to have the village experience and most do.

It's a shame you chose to eat only twice at Haven in ten nights, although we do remember how much you loved the food and stated you couldn't possibly eat any more!
Most people complain about putting on weight at Haven!

We adhere to strict health and hygiene policy which certainly ( nor would we ) does not permit us to serve left overs at any time.

Unfortunately you approached a young Vietnamese member of staff asking in Vietnamese to heat up left overs for breakfast. As you would be aware it's culturally difficult for a young Vietnamese person to say no to an elder.
We don't believe any hotels would allow you to walk into the kitchen and cook food, or wash a pile of washing and hang it on the balcony for other guests to see. The fact that it was clearly visible alerted us to the issue.
We had over ten emails back and forth many months before your arrival where we advised about TET and suggested you may be better to stay in Quy Nhon. We suggested you may prefer to stay elsewhere that would provide the wide selection of choices you seemed to require.

Indeed the village experience and it's location was clearly as we suggested not what you were really looking for and staying in Quy Nhon might have provided more the Hotel experience you were seeking, and made it easier to visit your relatives and friends.
Haven is our home and we stand by our commitment to provide a caring family environment for all our guests.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I wrote an email at the end of last Summer and I just found room for a three night stay. So I thought the address had a special feeling, reshaped my plans in Vietnam, and last week experienced this guesthouse with my wife. Location and service are the plus that mostly impressed us; when I say location I mean both the beautiful beach and the fishing village; when I say service I mean an attentive staff acting professionally with a remarkable touch of understatement.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Rosemary C, Manager at Haven Vietnam, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts! Everybody
at Haven is so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us!
We hope to see you again in the future, safe travels until then
All the Haven family

Reviewed February 17, 2014

My wife, two adult daughters and I had 4 nights at the Haven. It deserves it's high rating on TA. The location, tranquility, service and attentiveness of the hosts, the conversation when sought, the wonderful food and the interesting village make it a very, very nice place to spend some time. We spent 4 days doing little else than swimming, turning the pages of our books and lifting a glass to our lips but the time just disappeared. The rooms are clean and very comfortable, though a caution about the ground floor room if you sleep lightly. The alley that runs beside it is a thoroughfare for the village and life starts early. My wife wasn't overly bothered and I wake up early so it was not a particular problem for us. If you are a light sleeper in Vietnam you'd have ear plugs anyway I guess. The pluses far outweigh that minor negative.
The local lady, Mi, who prepares the dinner wil be having her baby any day but Yin proved to be a wonderful replacement. The food was very good.
We'd certainly come back.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Nobbo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review
for Haven. We are so happy that all of your family
enjoyed your stay with us. It was great to meet
all of you and have some fun around the
dinner table! Safe journey to all of you
Warm wishes
Rosie Huw and all the Haven family!

Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights on our tour of Southern Vietnam. We wanted somewhere off the beaten track, somewhere small and friendly and oozing local culture. Well we were certainly not disappointed. Our stay at the Haven certainly exceeded our expectations, we only wished we could have stayed longer. The relaxed, friendly atmosphere is one of the points that really makes this place stand out from the crowd. Having only spent a short time there we were so sorry to leave. Thank you Rosie and Huw and all the lovely people in Bai Xep who made our stay so memorable, we hope one day to return.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Rosemary C, Manager at Haven Vietnam, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words about
Haven!
We are so happy you enjoyed your time with us
and especially that you took the time to wander
through the village!
Best wishes for your travels
Warm regards
Rosie Huw Diem Mi and Sau

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We planned to spend 3 nights, ended up staying 6. great place just to chill out and relax without the sounds of cars or bikes. Dinner was great, the room was clean, and the location was amazing. with just a few rooms, you really got to know the other travelers and if you get the chance have Huw take you to the waterfalls or play a game of spoons after dinner. Biggest challenge is figuring out when to go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple