“My Happy Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gecko

Gecko
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pottuvil
Gecko
Ranked #21 of 28 Pottuvil B&B and Inns
sydney
“My Happy Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

I have stayed at Geckos twice, the first time last year and again just last month. Located a 10 minute fun walk along the beach from the point break, Gecko is easily the best place to stay in Arugam Bay. The staff are helpful and will go out of the way to make you feel comfortable and nothing is too much trouble. The food is sooooo good....fresh fruits, great curry's and a top club sandwich.....and the prawns...holy hell take me back, i love those suckers!!! Its such a relaxing place to hang out and to be honest its hard to drag yourself to anywhere else once your there because its so good.....I will be back next year for sure.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Breckenridge, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

I loved staying at the Gecko! Right on the beach with very nice rooms with air conditioning. The surfing waves a short walk away. At night the restaurant is a hang out spot for tourists and laid back locals and sometimes a fire on the beach. The food is amazing! After almost a month in Sri Lanka, the prawns were the best meal I had in Sri Lanka. Run by a nice couple Liz and Ramesh. Liz is from the UK and was very helpful.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem pretty similar.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Jalalabad, Afghanistan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

Far and away the best place to stay or eat in Arugam Bay. I want to make it clear that this is not some 4-star hotel, it is a 3-star guesthouse with an awesome restaurant/bar. But it's literally the best place to stay in Arugam Bay (believe me, I stayed at other places when I was in town). If you're a broke surfer who doesn't care about mosquitoes, this is not the place to stay (but you should come eat a nice cheap lunch like everybody else). This place costs (slightly) more than some of the shanties around town, but you get what you pay for: Air conditioning, clean rooms, mosquito nets, excellent bathroom facilities.... BTW, if you've never been to Arugam Bay, you should understand that this constellation of amenities is pretty amazing. And did I mention you are ON the beach? This place has less than 10 rooms, and basically the owners (Liz (from UK) and Ramesh (from SL)) make you feel like you're a member of the family from day one, and their kids are hilarious and amazing. There are a few Sri Lankan surf instructors hanging out at the bar, and there will be an Australian or two, but what's amazing is that it is a chill place to be at any time of day. Although there are plenty of food options, I have to recommend the amazing Sri Lankan breakfast of rice, dahl, and coconut hot sauce, which is incredible. When I was there, the veranda with the thatched roof and fans was considered the primary social center of Arugam Bay (I realize that in July/August the tourist market may create some changes), and I met people who were staying at many other guesthouses, almost all of whom wished they had stayed at the Gecko.

Do yourself a favor and book in advance, because this place is popular. Try to get one of the Gecko's A/C rooms, which are among the most sought-after accommodations on the island (don't tell anyone). Spend an evening drinking with Liz and Ramesh, and spend the day in the company of one of their many surf experts. Or just nap and read cheap novels like I did. Any way you slice it, the Gecko is pretty much the best guesthouse around.

Room Tip: Make sure you get A/C!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

We arrived at Gecko thinking we'd stay for a night or two and move on. I think we decided within 5 minutes of being there that we'd stay for much longer. It's a brilliant place run by the lovely Liz and Ramesh who do their utmost to look after you in every way possible. Liz cooked great food and always helped with our questions, and Ramesh was an absolute gentleman, who did everything from building a wooden structure to give us some shade, to getting us to where we wanted to go, to coming running with water and a smile when all the G+Ts made us sick... They're doing a fantastic job.

They've created a lovely and safe haven and you'll have a great time. Say hello to Jay and Millie too when you're there!

Love, the noisy english girls

1 Thank Lucy R
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

We had a fantastic stay at Gecko- really relaxed and homely and they went out of their way to accommodate us in every way, making recommendations of things to do, organising transport, delicious food, even building us a lovely shaded area on the beach when we couldn't handle the blazing heat! Ramesh and Liz are really lovely. We really enjoyed our stay there and didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cabana which was great for a bigger group but other rooms for smaller groups seemed...
1 Thank jossiestevens
Colombo, Sri Lanka
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012 via mobile

Whilst we have had super food experiences at Gecko's in the past, this time it was more than disappointing. The burgers we ordered were dry, and the Greek salad ordered did not contain any olive oil. On requesting for olive oil to add to the Greek salad, we were brought a bottle of 'olive oil' which in actual fact was VEGETABLE OIL. The staff insisted that it was olive oil even though we knew very well the flavor and taste of olive oil and were one hundred percent sure that what they brought to the table was in fact vegetable oil.

Overall, a very disappointing experience. I hope the management takes appropriate measures to correct the situation with the food.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank hishamshums

Travelers are raving about these Pottuvil hotels

Ulladulla, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

Although I didn't stay at the Gecko when asking around for somewhere good to eat everyone said I had to try the Gecko, especially their famous ice cream.
After 3 weeks of curry and rice (which I love) it was a treat to have a homemade hamburger - they make their own bread on the premises, the other ingredients Liz (chef by trade) sources from Kandy or they grow themselves .... and the ice cream ... you definitely have to leave room for.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Rebecca M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pottuvil
Amaranthe Bay Resort
Paper Moon Kudils
#2 of 17 in Pottuvil
Kottukal Beach House by Jetwing
Bay Vista Hotel Arugam Bay

Been to Gecko? Share your experiences!