All reviews the owner delicious cocktails arugam bay pizza off season beautiful garden common areas sri lanka unique place guest house recommend this place outdoor shower the main road rooms are spacious main point curry saman
Selected filters
Reviewed January 6, 2020 via mobile

Look for more reviews and you will find out that many people says the owner (man called Saman) is aggressive and rude with gusts!

He is actually just the son of the owner who never worked hard to get things, but earned everything from his dad. So that is why he acts as a little snobby prince..

My experience on December 25th, 2019.

I booked the premium villa for 32USD/night on booking.com. Drove 4 hours and when arrived at the property a man calling himself the place owner (found out later he is JUST the son of the owner) came to talk to us.
He said they did a mistake on booking.com and put a too low price for the premium villa, so he said he could not check us in with this price, he offered a lower cabbanna room, which did not look nice at all and was VERY warm, I denied, he then offered us a “discounted price” for the premium villa.
Here is the summary
- I booked for 32USD
- He said the normal price was 130USD
- He offered a discounted price for 85USD: I refused
- I understood his point and offered to pay 50USD ( I was supposed to pay only 32USD): he refused.
He was very unfriendly and scary, he literally got angry at me, saying that he puts the price up and down on booking.com as he wishes. Then I questioned him, “...so you put the pice at 32USD and I booked it, now you change your mind? Or are you getting more requests for the room and realized you can sell it for a higher price?” He had no argument and simply turned his back to me and walked away.
Then I texted booking.com via the app ( highly recommend to text them if you have any problems with crap hotels)
A representative of Booking.com called him straight away while I was at the reception and he was somewhere else.
He said to booking.com on the phone that he would give me the room. I instantly got a message from booking.com saying the same.
2 minutes later he came to the reception shouting at me, he became VIOLENT and even scarier, he SHOUTED: I WILL NOT GOVE YOU THE ROOM AND GET THE F***K OUT OF HERE, I calmly said why are you shouting, this is your mistake and you just LIED to me and to the bookin.com representative.
He simply destroyed our Xmas evening. I travel a lot and never seen such bad education or dealt with people of a such low level.
I left the property and tried to find another one near by. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE FORCUS HOTEL, just across the street, MUCH BETTER ROOMS AND WAY CHEAPER! above of all friendly, fair and not scary people.
After 2 nights in ARUGAM BAY, My conclusion is that the beach is very bad, ugly and dirty. Some weird people around. Definitely not a relaxing place. GO TO TANGALLE or other beaches in the south.
Note: always complain to booking.com if you have such experience with low level people. I got a money refund from booking.com and they will probably penalize the property.
I Hope the REAL owner of this place reads this review, and EDUCATE this scary-vialoent-pseudo owner.
DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE, go to FORCUS HOTEL, CHEAPER AND NICER!

Date of stay: December 2019
Reviewed December 3, 2019 via mobile

We've really enjoyed our stay at this resort. The bungalow we were in was really nicely decorated and comfortable. The king size bed was even big enough for my husband (196cm) which is uncommon. Honestly it's been our best stay in Sri Lanka during our honeymoon. In December you won't really need the ac if you are a little bit used to hotter climates.

Date of stay: December 2019
Reviewed November 28, 2019

Really enjoyed my stay at surf and sun. This place made me feel like I was in another world Loved the vibe and ambiance. The owner was pleasant and took the time to speak to us and told us about the history of his place which has been around for 20years and about his family and their culture which was really interesting and inspiring. The rooms are clean and very comfortable and very beautifully designed. There is a restaurant here as well with really yumi pizza ❤️ This place is very mindful about nature and being eco friendly which was perfect because it is something I look for in places I stay. Overall best place for me in arugambay.

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2019

This summer we had a great stay at the hotel Surf n Sun. When we woke up we first enjoyed our meal and afterwards stayed a little longer to have a coffee or milkshake in one of the cosy relax-spots. The staff was very kind and we had nice conversations with the staff (including Isuru). They did their best to make the holiday as comfy as possible.

Date of stay: July 2019
1  Thank BartF_Dutch
Reviewed September 6, 2019 via mobile

Would love to have given this place a 5 star review for the accommodation as it is one of the best we stayed at in Sri Lanka. Beautifully designed cabanas with plenty of space to chill out plus an on site yoga studio. The room was spacious and very clean.
However, the restaurant is very average and not great value for money so I’d recommend going out if you stay here.

Date of stay: September 2019