“beautiful, great location, lively atmosphere”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pottuvil
SVH - Siam View Hotel
Ranked #9 of 29 Pottuvil B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is a great choice for a stay in Arugam Bay. It is one of the defining hotels in Arugam and has been there for quite a while now. It has been hit very hard by the 2004 tsunami, but they did a great job rebuilding the place (although the brand new villa's that they had finished a week before the tsunami hit have not been rebuild yet). There are definitely cheaper options (next door), and there are nicer and more beautiful and expensive guesthouses (across the street), but Siam View Hotel just hits the sweet-spot :) Good value-for-money, perfect location, great (Thai) kitchen, excellent beers, very relaxed atmosphere. The bar and restaurant attracts a lively and fun crowd, but the rooms are still quite and relaxed. We cannot give the full five starts mainly because of the humidity in the rooms. It might be something unavoidable in the Arugam Bay climate, but it made our beds and pillows quite damp and soggy :) Also, there were no chairs in our room and because the beds are continuously wrapped in mosquito nets there basically was not place to sit or hang our clothes.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were asked to pay a total amount for a room a month in advance. When we got there the room we paid for was unavailable and the owner offered us a room which looked like hell! I was travelling with my family and honestly we would not stay in that room free of charge as it would be the worse nightmare - dark, everything broken, ... two caged birds were all we could look at. I requested our money back and fortunately we got and left. The German guy - the owner said, I quote: "This is the only room I can offer you right now and there is no problem for me to give you your money back because I will find other people quickly. Anyways, you won't find a better room here in Arugam Bay as this is not Colombo." What!? Of course I didn't believe him because the room he offered us was the worse room I've seen in South East Asia, where I've been travelling for the last 20 years. Two days later the owner got back to me via e-mail providing me with numerous excuses (some other guests extended their stay, lack of time, broken A/C, ...) Dear co-travellers, please, do not make a mistake and book this place as it is the worse, not only in Arugam Bay but in whole SE Asia. I didn't even mention that the rooms were extremely overcharged! I spoke to some other guest from SVH and they didn't have a single nice word to say about this "hotel". They said that it was dirty, unfriendly, ... but they didn't succeed to get their money back. I expect the owner to get back on this review as well providing the same nonsense and lies he did when he e-mailed me. I believe that all the good reviews written here, on Tripadvisor, are coming from him or his "friends". I cannot find other explanation for it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank nera1
Arugam, General Manager at SVH - Siam View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Interesting.
Shocking!
But:
We have no record of any booking in the name of "nera 1" .....
Was it done tru Tripadisor?

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We didn't stay here, but went a number times during our three-night stay in Arugam Bay as it was the liveliest option for beers before a beach party. They serve Three Coins on tap, and it's a great lager. The atmosphere is up-for-it and good fun, without being the sort of place where 19-year-old Swiss boys dance naked on tables. And during the day it's also a good place to head for a thai curry and a lime soda.

So, before you head out for a beach party at Mambo, I'd recommend you take down a few beers and Arrack at SVH. It'll get you in the right sort of mood.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Really authentic Thai food, lots of nice people and free Popcorn. Just a honest place with good price value ratio. Its right next to the Beach and even has a Popcorn machine and Cinema! The self brewed beer tastes excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We spent a couple of days in Arugam Bay and we checked out the local restaurants. Now we can really say, that the Siam is one of the best houses in Arugam Bay. Very nice staff and a beautiful place to relax.
We watched the championsleague final there and it was even the only place to watch it.

so, if you are in Arugam Bay, have a stay in the Siam View!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Craft beer in Asia? What?!??? We were so happy to see that the menu offers home-brewed beers, including a delicious light lemon Belgian-esque beer and a dark, strong Malbock. We tried all the beers, as well as their Penang Curry and Pad Grapow, pretty good for dishes ordered outside of Thailand. There was live music (a girl from the states on her ukulele), and it was nice and relaxed, with groups of travelers chatting around big tables and couples (like us) sitting at smaller tables enjoying each other’s company. Great environment, attentive service, good food, and REAL BEER! Awesome find in Arugam Bay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2013

we stayed a couple of days in arugam bay and loved it!
siam view can really be recommended.
the family who owns the siam is very nice!
we spend the evenings in the relaxed bar with very good home brewed beer (they got awards for it...) and very good thai-food.
they provide also free wifi.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple