“Not that clean and not a great price”

Sunhill Hotel Nuwaraeliya
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I took the bus from Colombo to Nuwara Elia without a hotel reservation, and the Sri Lankan guy next to me recommended I stay at Sunhill. He was trying to be nice, but there must be better options out there.

The room did not have heaters and it gets quite cool in the evenings. Also, the rooms aren't clean or modern, and the restaurant was pretty damn forgettable. I asked for some Sri Lankan food and was told I had to order from the western or Chinese menu because it takes too long to make Sri Lankan food. I ended up getting some Chinese cuttlefish dish that didn't whisk me away to shores of Hainan Island.

I've lived in some remote parts of the world, so I don't mind staying in places with no heat, in dingy rooms or in places with lackluster food, but I expect the price to be comparable to the amenities. At $35-40 a night I expect a little bit more.

On the positive side the staff were pretty friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Alex B

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Our Stay at Sun hill hotel was disappointing. We were stuck in this hotel as we could bot secure reservation for better Hotels like Grand. The rooms are dated and in terrible shape. The old carpet in the room had wet patches. Bed was shaky with very old bed sheets and blankets. There was a constant smell associated with old and closed buildings. Breakfast was inadequate. Hotel staff were helpful with the limited resources they had. Wi-Fi did not work. Hotel however, is located near the main market.
Not Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Arvind S
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We've spend there just one night.Nothing noticeable. Not bad but not adorable. The only thing that really disappointed us was piercing cold. My wife was also disappointed with shower in the room it appeared too uncomfortable for her. But for it was enough to take hot shower before returning to cold room. We asked for additional blankets but still felt frozen in the night

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Roman L
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed in the guesthouse with my driver. the stuff was quite helpful and actually was a decision making for me to really stay. The property is not bad, but not overwhelming too. I would not stay there for longer but for the overnight stay through the country the price was reasonable. The karaoke was loud till late night, good luck i can sleep whatever is going on. Nice location with a nice view.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank hanaduchackova
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Oh holy jeebus this place is special!! We stayed here as part of a trip organised by Rail Tours. From the moment we arrived I wanted to leave. The smell of cat wee in reception was overwhelming and matched by a smell of damp or mould in the tv room nearby. Part of the hotel roof was made with corrugated iron which didn't seem to cover everywhere it should so the stairs were quite wet and dangerous. We were up a few flights in room 303 which has another interesting smell in the bathroom. So interesting that we decided we couldn't bare to wash in there. We ate in Nuwara Eliya as we wanted to spend as little time in the hotel as possible. So we walked, in the rain, into the town, only returning coz we had to! We stayed in the tv room for a little while and witnessed a very irate German tourist who had waited more than 30 mins for 3 beers and was not happy with the service. We were glad to only be staying 1 night. The beds were actually ok comfort wise but there was a little stain on one and the room was quite grubby - badly needs updating. Even a lick of paint would make a huge difference. The next morning on the way to breakfast I was greeted by a member of staff who directed us to the breakfast room. When I turned around I was greeted by a furry member of staff! Ok, maybe the 2 one wasn't on the employee list!! It was either a big mouse or a you know what! (I shiver at the memory) We were so glad to be leaving that morning. Breakfast was interesting! Eggs, some weird sausage things, toast, coffee / tea and juice. In fairness aside from the sausages and the flies it was ok. Service was a little slow though. Plenty to improve but I'm not sure I'd ever re-visit!

Room Tip: Not sure there are any!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Not recommended for a long time, but if you are in the region of Nuwara Eliya just for one night, what it offers is enough. There's no hot water in the shower enough, the bathroom is poor and linens smell musty. The hotel is plenty of mosquitos. But the breakfast was reasonable. The service was very friendly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Seems like this hotel is in terrible decay. Our room seemed okay to start with (on the top floor with a great view) but after the checkin and and staying in the room it wasn't really up to standard. First of all there were loads of mosquitos in the room and no net or plug with mosquito repellant. When we contacted the front desk they said that there were no mosquitos and when we insisted that there were, he said that he couldn't find the plug thing. Furthermore, the room felt very damp and the view, although gorgeous could have been better if the windows were clean and not filled with dead insects. The TV in our room didn't work because the plug was jammed into the wrong socket. We had to access the room through lots of stairs, which wasn't really if it had not have been for the leakages all the way up creating puddles of water and an accident just waiting to happen. After a really long day all we wanted to do was just relax in the hotel for a bit before going out to eat. This was, however, impossible because all of a sudden all you could hear was really loud karaoke. We only had breakfast there and it wasn't really that great. The hotel was barely okay for just a one night stay and I will definitely not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple