“Loud karaoke and moist rooms”

Sunhill Hotel Nuwaraeliya
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Seems like this hotel is in terrible decay. Our room seemed okay to start with (on the top floor with a great view) but after the checkin and and staying in the room it wasn't really up to standard. First of all there were loads of mosquitos in the room and no net or plug with mosquito repellant. When we contacted the front desk they said that there were no mosquitos and when we insisted that there were, he said that he couldn't find the plug thing. Furthermore, the room felt very damp and the view, although gorgeous could have been better if the windows were clean and not filled with dead insects. The TV in our room didn't work because the plug was jammed into the wrong socket. We had to access the room through lots of stairs, which wasn't really if it had not have been for the leakages all the way up creating puddles of water and an accident just waiting to happen. After a really long day all we wanted to do was just relax in the hotel for a bit before going out to eat. This was, however, impossible because all of a sudden all you could hear was really loud karaoke. We only had breakfast there and it wasn't really that great. The hotel was barely okay for just a one night stay and I will definitely not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed in a triple room, it was smelly and water spilled on the carpets, only God knows from what. Its not a star class hotel. we only stayed one night. The staff seems to be friendly. But not a lot a attention given to details. It is ok to stay one day,no more..!! If you really want to see a silver line is, close proximity to the city. Just walking distance.

worst part is that there are not standard prices, each time you call for reservation you get a different prices. I dont think that is cool. However it is my opinion that it is not worth the price you pay.

Room Tip: Better to see the room before you make a reservation. If possible quote the price is too high, you m...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Zihanjj
Reviewed March 14, 2012

During our 31 night tour of Sri Lanka this was BY FAR the worst hotel we stayed at, It was absolutely filthy, noisy 24hours a day, the electrics clearly unsafe and all meals were at least 90 minutes after the stated time. The staff (on the rare occasions when they could be found) were most unhelpful.
This hotel has no redeeming features - avoid like the plague!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CLAVERIE1210
Reviewed March 10, 2012

on fébruary 2012, we booked for 3 days on helf board in this hotel. When we arrived, we were terrified by the standing of this hotel. It is very durty even in the entrance and the corridors and stairs. The bedroom was inacceptable: very bad smelling of dust, carpet durty broken in many places, curtains also dusty and on the windows lots of marks of painting....we try to visit others rooms but it was the same. So, we leaved and found another hotel.
we tried to get our money back or part of it but we did not get it. So, I can say that the manager of this hotel is unfair because at least, we should have got our money back for the half boarding..bad choice and sad experience.
Gérard et Janine, des français bien décus de cette expérienc

Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GERARD F
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Worst hotel on my trip...
Bedsheets, pillows, carpets were all moldy and dirty.
They didn't even provide towels... and even if they did... they too would be too dirty to use. I'm surprised that there were no cockroaches.

The new manager was accomodating and friendly, so perhaps he will help to turn things around because this hotel needs a serious revamping.

I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: don't stay here... there are no good rooms out of the 3 that I saw.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank sfernand0
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I went to Nuwara Eliya with my family members (12 adults & 4 kids) while I am in vacation. We went to the Sunhill (They called Hotel) November 12th around 8.30 pm. We got 3 tripple room(each Rs. 4200/=) and 2 double room(each Rs. 3500/=).Same time I said we gonna have dinner here, just arrange for us.They start to arrange the table around 10.00 pm after I have stay at the restuarant and gave the direction to the kids(They called waiters). Finally we got foods 10.45pm. I think they went to shop after I gave an order. That time nother young couple came to reception and ask for double room. They got a room next to me(Room 202) only Rs. 2500/=. I have got really shock.There is no standerd price. Are you still call that a hotel.
Room is smelly. Bed and blanket ice cold.There are TV each and every room, but 4 of them not working. The other one didnt have a remote. more than 3 time we ask for it. Couldnt help. They have lots of kids working without experience and respect. They just came in side the room without asking.
Next day we went to breakfast. We had string hoppers and few curries.After eat my wife ask for a finger bowl. One kid ask her to go to kitchen and use that sink. Then I have looked around and I saw next table had finger bowl. I ask him about it. He said we have only 6 finger bowl. They have charge me Rs. 700 + 10% for 1 mega soda and 1 mega coca cola bottle.
They still call this place "A Star class HOTEL". But its not any more. Few years ago they had one star. Now hotel board took that star awy. Can you imaging how good there service and cleanliness.

If any body want to contact me: I am Mansil Kamburugamuwa, e-mail: montel73@hotmail.com

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
12  Thank Nate K
Reviewed June 4, 2011

The rooms were not good and the food was very expensive. The hosts were very unwelcoming. :( evey evening after 6 you hear a loud prayer going on the kovil or something nearby and its annoying we couldn't sleep.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends