“Historical building and grounds”

Jetwing St. Andrew’s
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Historical building and grounds”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed at st Andrews for 2 nights as part of a tour of Sri Lanka and thought the hotel building and setting were very appealing abd full of atmosphere. The log fires in the living room and bar were lovely. The hotel is well placed for going to Horton's Plain and walking to World's End, which involves a 5.30am start to get the best light. At our request the kitchen prepared a packed breakfast which was delicious. We ate out one night, walking to the restaurant and getting a tuk-tuk home; the second night we ate at the hotel in the a la carte restaurant and the service was incredibly slow - but the food, when it eventually arrived was good. Breakfast was a subdued affair in the gloomy restaurant, good choice of pleasant food. We loved the gardens although the chairs are almost impossibly uncomfortable! But the flowers, plants and birds make it a very pleasant place to while away an hour or two. We had booked a double room: tiwn beds seem to be standard in all rooms apart from the suites and we were upgraded to a suite when we pointed out we had specifically requested a double room.

Room Tip: If you want a double bed - specify this clearly as twin beds seem to be the norm
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing St. Andrew’s, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review and we are happy to know that you enjoyed most of your stay with us. We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the dinner due to slow service. I will try to rectify the issue by taking it up with the F&B team. We will be attending to all the areas you mentioned with the upcoming refurbishment program which will increase the service standard and facilities to revitalize the property and bring it to greater heights.

Wishing you very pleasant day from all at Jetwing St. Andrew’s.

Upul Leukebandara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband and I, chose to stay at this Hotel since we had heard of its unique look and feel of a colonial residence as it used to be an old country house. Since this happened to be my first trip to the beautiful city of Nuwaraeliya, I wanted to have the full "Nuwaraeliya Experience" and I must say I couldn't have picked a better place to stay than the St Andrews Hotel. It truly was a heartwarming experience. To start with, we were warmly greeted with a hot cup of soup which I must say is a very unique touch and quite suitable given the nice cold weather.. and we were escorted to our suite room through a passage which we were told was laid some 125 odd years ago..I believe details such as that really takes you back in time and also makes what this hotel is all about- restoring an old country house whilst maintaining its former glory. The suite room was very spacious and had a very cosy feeling to it, with a beautiful view of the garden. We felt like we were on our second honeymoon to see the bed nicely decorated with flowers to welcome us. The staff was very friendly and also the room service was very efficient. Hot water was never an issue which was one of our concerns reading some reviews. We really enjoyed a nice cup of tea in the evening, at the garden restaurant. The dinner buffet was extremely satisfying along with the wide variety of desserts available..(me being a sweet-tooth, it was such a delight :) ) Another nice addition was the warm hot water bottles that were kept under our sheets in the night.. which we noticed only when we came to bed :) So if you are a couple wanting to get away from the city and enjoy peace and quiet surrounded by the misty mountains and also be a part of history, this hotel is the place to be. I would also like to thank the Manger and the staff for making us feel welcome and for providing us with a very homely service. I would recommend this hotel to anybody and would love to go back soon..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Isurini
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing St. Andrew’s, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure to read your review on Trip Advisor, regarding your first ever visit to the beautiful City of Lights, Nuwara Eliya. I was happy that overall you had an enjoyable stay and also like to thank you for your praise of my team who looked after you whilst staying with us. I will definitely ensure that your compliments are passed on to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Jetwing St. Andrew’s in the future.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Looking at previous reviews, I can only re-iterate their theme. Don't stay here. We booked, and paid for, 2 rooms for 2 nights way back last year, through a reputable travel agency. Shortly before we were due to arrive, we were told that there were no rooms available for us. We, and our travel agent, were very disappointed and upset, and complained at the highest levels. Eventually we were given our rooms for 1 night, but for the other we had to stay at Plains Bungalow (see my review) which was totally unsatisfactory.
For the night we did stay here we were given rooms in the old building. They were clean but shabby and tired - as was the whole hotel. The dining room and bar areas were crammed with tour groups. We had specifically asked our tour agent to book this hotel as we thought it would have an old world charm, but this is sadly lacking. The staff were helpful and pleasant, and my low mark for service reflects the central booking staff, not them.
The hotel manager and floor of house manager were both apologetic and gave us a free bottle of wine. Better still they arranged a tour of the hotel and town gardens for us with Ishan, the hotel's resident naturalist. This was the best thing about our stay. Ishan is young and enthusiastic, and very pleasant. He is a mine of information about the hotel gardens and green 'farm', the town farms and the bird life. He walked us through the town, the golf course and other hotel gardens, all of which we would have otherwise have missed since we were only in Nuwara Eliya for a short time due to being bumped by the hotel. I recommend Ishan, but nothing else about this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bulkington643
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. My sincere apologies for all the inconveniences caused with regards to the room reservation which you had made with us.

It was never our intention to change your booking to another hotel. Unfortunately due to a booking system error we found ourselves overbooked which resulted in alternative accommodation being provided with a similar standard. We do realize you had reserved well in advance and that this was a great inconvenience. With regards to the accommodation and dining I would like to add that Jetwing St. Andrew’s is currently going through major renovations which will revitalize the property by housing additional rooms and a much larger dining area.

We are glad that you enjoyed the company of Ishan our Resident Naturalist and we will share your comments with him. Once again apologizing for the inconvenience while you were staying in Nuwara Eliya and hope that you will one day return to the property once the renovations are complete.

Wishing you a pleasant day.

mirissa
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stopped by for afternoon tea and were given a tour of the hotel by the friendly Manager
who then kindly allowed us to have tea in the dining room, as one of our party wanted something from the a la carte menu whilst the rest of us just wanted Hi tea.The service & the food were excellent throughout our brief visit and they even let us have some extra cake to take away with us.All in all an excellent experience,thank you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank thespicehouse
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about Jetwing St. Andrew’s posted on Trip Advisor. Your compliments will be shared among the team.

We would like to invite you to stay with us during your next visit to Nuwara Eliya and we will be more than happy to accommodate you and your loved ones.

Hope to see you soon at Jetwing St. Andrew’s.

Blackwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I would give comments on this hotel if I had actually stayed there!
I booked room in Aug 2012 for my Feb 2013 visit after choosing this hotel from the comments in Trip Advisor, from its location and portrayal of elegance. I was impressed with the entrance and reception area but not so impressed when I was told in quite an offhand manner I had been bumped out of the hotel on instruction from Jetwing HQ. I was told the hotel they had selected on my behalf was of the same standard. What a lie, although the alternative was OK it was like booking into a 4 star Hilton only to be shipped off to a reasonable but cheap motel on the other side of town. I also found out that half board at the alternative was $107 whereas I had paid Jetwing $148 for my stay, so much for their “generous” offer of a “free” dinner.
They soon found out that I was the wrong person to try to confidence trick and rob. After much negotiation and starting off from their refusal to do anything and eventually getting through to someone who could make decisions, which took about 3 hours of my precious holiday time, we came to an agreement (not to my satisfaction but the best I could get) which involved staying at the alternative hotel for “free” plus financial compensation. I had to sign a paper which prevents me giving details of our agreement, which I have since been told was a Jetwing standard non –disclosure document; so how many people are treated in the same manner such that they have a companywide standard agreement form??
Please don’t trust any Jetwing hotel to honour your booking, look for an alternative.
If you book with them and get bumped make sure they don’t lie to you about the standard of hotel they select and make sure that they don’t make money from you by booking a much cheaper hotel and not telling you.
Make a fuss!
Demand action!
Let others know!
Punish them until they realise that they must treat customers with respect!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve B
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing St. Andrew’s, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We apologize profusely for any and all inconveniences faced during your stay at Jetwing St. Andrew’s. Jetwing St. Andrew’s is a very popular hotel with high demand, and overbooking’s, regrettably, happen on occasion, which does indeed occur at the best of hotels on a global scale, similar to that of airlines. We regret and apologize for having to transfer you but unfortunately we did not have any other feasible options. The alternative accommodation provided is a good hotel, however, we do admit there was an issue with the pricing for this hotel. Hotel pricing for Jetwing St. Andrew’s and all hotels in general, is dependent on demand and supply. In this situation unfortunately the cost for this hotel was slightly lower than that of Jetwing St. Andrew’s.

Thereafter we did our utmost to ensure your stay was enjoyable and also in offering adequate compensation which we believe to be fair. With regards to the official agreement that was signed by you, this is purely so the hotel has a record of the compensation that was provided and an official statement that can be referred to in the future.

We regret that this complaint has still come through even after an amicable agreement. Excellent customer service and distinctive hospitality are attributes that Jetwing Hotels firmly believe in and we thank you for bringing the details of this issue to our attention, that has enabled us to learn from this experience and ensure we are able to offer a much higher standard in service to all our guests in the future.

Southampton
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our tour of Sri Lanka. On arrival we were met with hot soup and warm towels which was a nice touch and first impressions were good. Our room however did not maintain this, it was shabby and very tired although it did seem clean. We had a pre dinner drink in the bar and although the barman was friendly and helpful there was no atmosphere as we were the only people in it, probably because the drinks were twice the price we had paid in previous hotels. The restaurant was quite cramped and we were lucky to get a table. The food was mediocre and the breakfast was the worst we had in Sri Lanka.
Don't get me wrong, this Hotel is OK, but only OK. Nobody minds paying top dollar if they get the facilities to go with it, but we felt we definitely overpaid for what we got.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank molly280
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing St. Andrew’s, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor and giving us the necessary feedback to improve. All your comments will be looked at positively as areas open for improvement. You will be pleased to note that we are in the process of renovating the entire property that will include a new wing and a bigger restaurant. With regards to our pricing, it has always based on comparisons with our competitors and other basic requisites.

We hope that you will return to Jetwing St. Andrew’s to experience the improvements made in future.

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I arrived at the Hotel after booking and paying in full in August to be informed that there were no rooms available and we were being relocated to a 'better hotel'.

The Manager did not apologise for this and could not see why we were clearly disappointed by the change but moreso by his attitude and a member of staff. There was no reasonable explanation as to how and why this happened and The manager on duty, clearly was not concerned or displayed any Customer Service. Reading previous reviews it seems it is a common practice !!!!

The whole purpose behind staying there was to experience the 'colonial' atmosphere as we were only there 1 night and although service at the other accommodation outshone St Andrews the quality of the accommodation certainly did not meet their qualities.

Not what we expected after booking and paying for this in advance .... an appalling experience and I would not recommend risk making a booking...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in regards to the room reservation which you had made with us.

It was never our intention to change your booking to another hotel. Unfortunately there was a booking system error and the property was overbooked which resulted in alternative accommodation being provided. We understand that this standard was not to your liking and regret you having to experience it. We do realize you had reserved well in advance and this was a great inconvenience and we tried to mitigate the impact of this by offering you an additional person for both rooms, since you had booked two single rooms.

Once again, we are truly sorry for this experience.