“Old colonial style” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Budapest
“Old colonial style”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I really liked this hotel because of its old colonial style and charm. It is located right in the city, but it is still a quiet, peaceful place. We had quite a big room, which was ok, but the bathroom could have been a bit better/newer. I appreciated the heater in the room, it was really needed.
I arrived here with a strong headache, so I couldn't try the bar. Dinner was a set menu, but wasn't really good, it looked better than it tasted. Breakfast is with a wide choice, good quality.
My boyfriend could play a game on the old snooker table with a member of staff, he enjoyed it a lot. I am sorry we couldn't go to any programs offered by the hotel (for example, hiking or frog watching :-)).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing St. Andrew’s, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the review and we are happy to know that you enjoyed most of your stay with us. We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the dinner from the set menu, we will have our chef look into it more carefully. However we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and game of billiards your boyfriend played. Hope to see you again in the future so you could experience all our nature trails and excursions done by our naturalist.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

Upul Leukebandara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
MACCheshireEngland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night only as part of our week long tour, and I am sorry to say this was the only hotel we did not care for. The hotel was cold, our room was cool (there was a heater for use if nec) the dining room was for me very cold, and I could not wait to eat up and leave. Other reviewers have mentioned buffet meals, we chose ours from the menu (no buffet) and I have to say the food was very good. but the main reason I disliked this hotel was the overpowering smell of Clove Oil everywhere, the staff had even placed a small bowl of it in our room, which we poured away and placed the bowl in the corridor, I am sure all our clothing must have smelt of clove oil yuk! The town is quite close to the hotel, but there is not a great deal to do here, apart from a snooker table, the gardens are small, and it was too cold to sit out when we visited, We would have preferred to have spent another night at our lovely hotel in Kandy, so folks! Finally the only saving grace for this hotel were its very friendly staff. Perhaps management would like to comment on the Clove Oil smell?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments on Trip Advisor which is most appreciated.

I would like to apologize for the experience you had at our hotel in relation to the overpowering smell of clove oil in the room which you had mentioned, we will positively look for changing the fragrance. I am sorry to hear that you were not provided information on the tremendous nature trails and excursions arranged by the hotel which, however, require more than a one night stay. I would also like to thank you for your praise to my team who looked after you whilst staying with us.

Wishing you a very pleasant day.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We booked one night at this hotel because of the good recommendations we received from tripadvisor .. We were reaching Nuwara Eliya from Ella by train, so our tour driver had our luggage with him & dropped them at the hotel around 3 hours before we reached .. When he picked us up from the train station he told us that the reception staff informed him that they didn't have any rooms for us!!!! Although we had booking confirmations & the hotel had deducted the room rate for one of the bookings (despite the fact that our booking was a FREE booking, which was made via booking.com)!!!! We thought it could be a misunderstanding, yet when we reached the hotel we were told the same thing, & their reason was that they were doing some maintenance for our rooms & thought they would be ready by the time we reach, yet they weren't!!!! I didn't believe this, cuz they only said so after an argument!!!!

They compensated us by booking us at The Hill Club, which was 5 minutes away, with half board (our original booking was with breakfast) .. This was a nice thing to do, yet I can not understand how would a hotel accept online bookings only to shock/disappoint their guests with such excuse!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Jetwing St. Andrew’s as part of your visit to Sri Lanka. My sincere apologies for all the inconvenience caused in regards to the room reservation which you had made with us. It was never our intention to change your booking to another hotel. Most of the hotel, including some of the guest rooms has been existence for a 100 years; nevertheless the management have been making improvements and upgrading the rooms to meet the expectation of the guest. Should you be coming to Sri Lanka in the future, I request that you please forward your details to my email address leuke@jetwinghotels.com as I would like the opportunity to show you what Jetwing St. Andrew’s really is about.

Once again accept our heartfelt apology and waiting to welcome you back to Jetwing St. Andrew’s.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We spent an amazing night here as part of our 2 week trip to celebrate our anniversary. We emailed the manager in advance just to request a refurbished room (after reading other TA reviews)
When we arrived it was like going back in time, wooden floorboards, a real fire in the living room, small cups of soup on arrival and a lovely bouquet of flowers for me that had been picked in the garden. The manager came and met us personally and wished us happy anniversary, we were then showed to a suite (apparently the best room in the hotel) which had been upgraded with the managers compliments!
What a beautiful room. High ceilings, big windows, a four poster bed, a mezzanine area with extra beds, flat screen TV and huge bathroom. All the furniture looked antique which added to the charm of the place.
The dining room was dimly lit with wooden panelled walls. The buffet had an excellent choice of western and Sri Lankan foods and the waiters were incredibly attentive and pleasant. Halfway through our meal, the lights went down and we were brought a cake and wished a happy anniversary by all the staff, which was so touching and genuine.
We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a real colonial style experience in the centre of Nuwara Eliya.
A big thank you to all the staff for an unforgettable stay!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your detailed review on Trip Advisor from your recent stay, and I was happy to read that you chose to stay with us to celebrate your anniversary. It was very enjoyable to read your review, and I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel, its facilities and food. You have also kindly given praise to our associates who looked after you during your stay and I will ensure your compliments are passed on to them. It gives me and my team great pleasure to know that your stay with us was memorable one.

Hope to serve you soon in the near future.

Upul Leukebandaara
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Amazing old hotel. We felt at home immediately. It was chilly when we arrived and we were welcomed with warm pumpkin soup and warm hand towels. The staff are friendly and attentive! Very close to town but far enough away to feel relaxed with no street noise. The room was quaint and clean. The only down side to the room is that it wasn't 100% secure. Wooden and glass doors and windows with locks that were a bit dodgy. Turn down service included a hot water bottle under your bed covers.

The food was absolutely amazing, the best quality we had in Sri Lanka by far. Brekkie, lunch and dinner were all great. The wait staff in the restaurant were efficient and curtious.

Bring some winter Woolies when heading here, it gets chilly at night!!!!

All in all, fabulous stay. Recommended 100%!!!!!!!!!!! Wouldn't recommend for children.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest review and recommending Jetwing St. Andrew’s on Trip Advisor. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the soup on arrival and all the associates made your stay comfortable. I will ensure that your compliments will be passed to the chef for the amazing food you had during your stay. We look forward to your return during your next visit to Sri Lanka.

kuala lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Booked this hotel as part of our tour with jetwing travels across sri lanka. Very cosy place added with a good heritage value. Buffet dinner was worth every penny. Every room has got a nice feel. I would suggest to get the newly upgraded one. Down side is most double bed are actually 2 singles joined as one. Otherwise staff are attentive and caring. There are o many nooks and corners in this place you would need 2 hours just exploring this place. I stayed here in september. Its the best hotel i experienced in sri lanka.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank reu_g
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure to read your review on Trip Advisor, and I was happy that overall you had an enjoyable stay. I would also like to thank you for your praise of my team who looked after you whilst staying with us. I will definitely ensure that your compliments are passed on to them. I look forward to welcoming you back to Jetwing St. Andrew’s in the future.

Australians in Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The room was charming, but the mattress on the 4 poster was hard and the pillows were lumpy. The rain was relentless and the roof leaked in many places throughout the hotel which unfortunately gave it a dreary, uncared-for atmosphere. The dining room, however, was cozy and the dinner and breakfast buffet were excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I would like to thank you for your kind words in relation to the room, as well as the restaurants and food. We regret that you weren't comfortable with the mattress and pillows in the room and we will look in to it. Most parts of the hotel have been in existence for many years, we have been maintaining the building and making improvements to meet the expectations of our guests. We have already resolved the problem with the leaky roof and as renovations take place all areas will be covered.

Thank you and hope to see you again at Jetwing St. Andrew’s.