“Grand” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Nairobi, Kenya
“Grand”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I must say the hotel as old as it may be has been kept very well. The hotel is located in a nice place and the gardens in front of the hotel gives it a unique feeling.
The breakfast spread was exceptional. I attended their christmas eve grand dinner was impressed with the variety of food that was offered. The staff were very friendly and always smiling.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager_Grandhotel, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your generous words on our hotel and the food and services we provide. It is indeed very encouraging to all of us when we hear from our guests that they have had a good time, as it is our singular focus to surpass the expectations of our guests all the time. Chef Arosha and his team have received many positive comments on the dining experiences they provided throughout the Christmas season, and I will certainly convey your sentiments to them. Thank you once again, hope to see you again, and best wishes for 2013, from all of us at the Grand Hotel. Sincerely, Resident Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bremen, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

When you approach the hotel for the first time you will be impressed. It looks grand and a bit colonial. It has a very nice garden and is located within walking distance from the Golf Club and some of the Nuwara Eliya sights. I travelled with my wife and my three little children and I was impressed with the huge room they gave us. The room was spacious enough for the 5 of us and it still had a dining table with 4 chairs around it in it. I was very happy with this. However they need to refurbish the place here and there. It is a little run-down and we were not very happy with the food. Also the waiters were very slow and you have to be patient when you want to place an order. But all in all an ok hotel with exellent rooms for families.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Manager_Grandhotel, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your review, and for choosing The Grand Hotel for your stay. Our property has been providing lodging for more than 150 years, and throughout that period the hotel has made improvements to meet the increasing expectations of the travelers. We will continue to add value to the property, both in terms of facilities and service, which will be evident when you visit us next. At the same, time we are taking serious note of the areas mentioned by you, which need improvement and will address them in our training programs. Thank your once again, and best wishes from all of us at the Grand. Sincerely, Resident Manager.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

After several hot and humid days on the Sri Lankan coastline, the considerably milder climate of Nuwara Eliya was something of a welcome relief, and the Grand Hotel a perfect reflection of the areas elegance and history.

The building itself is imposing and exudes British colonial opulence. As much of the building is around 150 years old and not designed as a hotel, you have to make some concessions, however our rooms were comfortable, not huge, but well furnished with comfortable bedding. Bathrooms were adequate with good fittings. All in all, very cozy indeed.

Our large group of 16 were warmly welcomed with check in and baggage handled as efficiently as possible. Service in all areas was friendly and efficient. Maintaining a property of this nature must be an absolute nightmare with timber flooring and brassware requiring constant polishing and attention, however the numerous public areas are all pristine and delightfully presented.

The beauty of this property lies in its ability to make you immediately comfortable. The large choice of lounges, sunrooms reading areas, intimate bars and a delightful billiard a room made it a most relaxing stay and we all seemed to find it very easy, just sitting around, chatting and enjoying the colonial atmosphere.

Our accommodation included buffet breakfasts and dinners over 2 days, all of which were of excellent quality with a wide variety of choices. The hotel also has 2 a la carte restaurants which were also well received.

If you are seeking a modern, slick hotel experience then The Grand is not for you, however for sheer ambience in a delightful, well run setting where you can truly relax, this property ticks al the boxes.

Would love to have spent an extra day (or two!)

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, Your review has strengthened our resolve to do even better, simply because your impression of our resort, is so close to what we want each and every guest to walk away with, when they leave us. Please accept our sincere thanks for your post, and above all for giving us the opportunity to serve you. What ever improvements we make in the future we will preserve the British colonial feel you talk about, while providing a brand of hospitality which is very Sri Lankan.
Our best wishes to you, and we look forward to serving you in the future. Sincerely, Resident Manager.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

This faux-tudor Disneyland of sorts reminded our group a lot of the movie 'The Shining'. The wood panelling and musty smell of the rooms makes this a 3star experience at best. Definitely worth a visit to the Grand Indian, where ever you decide to lay your head, despite a wait it was one of the better meals we had in Sri Lanka.

Wifi only available in the lobby. Seated in a grand waiting room, huge wing back chairs; this wouldn't have been a problem, except for the 200 rupees they slogged for the gin and tonic and the repetitively nauseating pianist doing his best to kill my childhood memories of Christmas carols (several days after Christmas, mind you). Adequate. Don't overpay.

Room Tip: Can be a long walk to your room from the central amenities. Ask for something closer to reception if...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank CameronKing
Dear Guest, Thank you for reviewing us. Please be assured that we will look into the areas mentioned by you which needs improvement. The Grand Indian restaurant continues to receive great reviews and we are happy to know that you enjoyed the food dished out by Chef Raja. Please do visit us again and experience our new Tea Terrace and other additions we have just introduced. Thank you and best wishes from all of us at the Grand. Sincerely, Resident Manager.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed in the tea country for a few days and I had to stay behind as I wasn't well, so ended up staying for unplanned few nights. Firstly, the room service staff were just superb, after about 2 goes, the kitchen churned out consomme type soup (amazingly difficult exercise to persuade the kitchen not to add cream or spices but a success in the end), they were super kind to me. However, being so unwell, and sleeping, I just did NOT appreciate continuous calls from front desk, i assume, asking me to order at their cafe or restaurant and proceed to tell me about the various eateries they have at the hotel. It went on for all the days I stayed there! I had "do not disturb" sign on my door, unfortunately I could not mute my phone and get them not to disturb me by calling and calling on and off without me being able to rest/sleep when ill. I told them I don't want anything, I am ill, they just continued with, "what about a sandwich?", it was unreal! Have stayed all over the world, but never experienced this sort of harassing marketing anywhere! In the end I had to take phone off the hook and risk my family not being able to contact me so that I could rest. Housekeeping, on the other hand, were very kind and continuously supplied me with bottles of water.

As to the hotel itself, the common areas were really lovely, and attest to the former colonial splendour, which is advertised in photos and paintings all over the hotel (so if you after some authentic Sri Lankan feel, this is not the hotel for you, but if you are after reliving the past, then this sure works). That is pretty much where the splendour ends, at the common areas downstairs. The rest of the hotel simply does not match what meets you downstairs.

The first night i had a double room, which was average, bit dingy, worn out, dark and cleaning left a lot to be desired (including pubic hairs in the wet areas, dirty taps, un-vacuumed carpet, dust etc. TVs are ancient and impossible to watch, aircon loud (I slept with an open window instead and use earplugs). The tea making facilities in the room were very welcome, but choice of tea non-existent, which is poor considering one is in the heart of the tea country! There was just one choice of black tea of some commercial brand (doubt if it even was Sri Lankan) - why not use a local producer with so many wonderful ones on hand?? I was moved for the remaining nights because my double room was right next to housekeeping pantry and the phone rang non-stop, one could hear it even through ear-plugs, sound-proofing generally at the hotel was poor, so sleep quality was also very poor. My second room was a single, tiny, though with double bed, there was simply nowhere to put the suitcases, similarly poorly cleaned. It looked onto large sattelite dish and kitchens/storage areas which had stuff piled up to the rafters - not attractive. As I spent most of my stay in bed, the view didnt matter so much, but if you intend to enjoy your room insist on a decent view.

There is absolutely no internet at all in the rooms, one couldn't even buy it as the hotel has terminated its cooperation with one of the large providers. The only wi-fi available was in common ares/foyer downstairs. When you are ill, that's not exactly an option, though I ended up having o choice. What I got was - on the one side the loud Arabic music blaring at guests' birthday party (in the restaurant on the left of the foyer - apparently guests were allowed to bring their own music, and it appears the volume selection!) and on the other side of the common areas that had wi-fi, computer games which blare loudly as guests' kids use them, so no peace is to be had nowhere, and if you intend to skype, leave alone with webcam, anywhere where wi-fi may meekly reach - forget it!

Though the check in was lovely (hot towels and nice tea on arrival, though we had to ask for ALL of our guests to be given it not just selected few for whatever reason), the check-out was a saga, the front desk clueless and couldn't point me to my driver, no goodbyes were offered, or indeed any help with my luggage. It was actually quite weird.

I hope this is not the best hotel in the area, as I would find it difficult to return, I would most certainly stay somewhere else than the Grand next time, as it promises so much upon entry and then just disappoints and disappoints. It just needs an urgent upgrade, modernisation and staff training.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room next to the housekeeping pantry of any "staff only" typ...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank l-globetrotter
Manager_Grandhotel, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Guest, We are saddened to hear that your stay with us was not pleasant and enjoyable as it should have been. However, your detailed review has made us look into many areas which have not been pointed out by visitors before. We thank you profusely for the time and trouble you have taken to communicate this most important information to us.

While we appreciate your complements about the Room Service and some areas in Housekeeping, we wish to inform you that we provide 02 Varieties of Black teas ( Earl Grey & English Breakfast) and 01 Green Tea in all guest rooms. We regret the frequent calls which were made with good intentions from the front desk, in fact were most disturbing to you, and we do understand how you would have felt, specially since you were ill. We have taken note of all the areas, mentioned by you as not worthy of a hotel of our standing and will focus on these points at our Training sessions and daily briefings.
Please accept our apologies for not making your stay with us, a completely enjoyable one, we wish to ensure you that we will strive to do better, and do hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you better. thanking you, sincerely, Resident Manager.
Maldives
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

This was my first trip to a mountain area. So my experience was overwhelming. But no matter how good the scenery, a trip can easily be ruined by a bad bed.
I concider my self lucky to have gained the perfect experience of the Srilankan mountains by staying at this historic hotel

- Excellent staff. Very friendly and helpful.
- Great food with local and international options.
- Superb scenery within the hotel grounds and rooms.
- For sure the Grandest hotel in Nuwara Eliya

• Stayed January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager_Grandhotel, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Guest, We are delighted to read your review, which will be shared with our team. To offer an experience such as yours to every single guest, all the time, is our one aim and objective. Difficult as it sounds, it is some thing we try to do consistently. So, we sincerely thank you for your post, and please be assured that we will strive to improve both our property and service to give you an even better experience when you visit us next. Best wishes for the New Year from all of us at the Grand Hotel. Resident Manager.
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Was wonderfull experiencing this Hill Station surrounded by tea plantations and living in this well appointed property very much the way the Britisher may have lived. The buffet spread in the dining hall was pretty impressive and the staff was very hospitable indeed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our resort. Over the years we have tried to create the atmosphere and ambience of a colonial residence with all the little niceties an English Lady or Gentleman would indulge in. We are happy to note that discerning travellers such as you are able to relive and enjoy the experience of a bygone era, in the history of Sri Lanka. We have planned some additional facilities to the hotel, which I am sure you would enjoy when you visit us next. Thank you and best wishes from all of us at the Grand Hotel. Sincerely, Resident Manager.