“Staff try, but not very good”

Oakray Summerhill Breeze
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Staff try, but not very good”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

This was the only hotel on my trip that I didn't like.
The telephone in my room didn't work so I had to keep going up and down the steep steps to ask for things. First a heater as it was so cold in there, then when the one they brought didn't work I had to go down again.
There was no bottled water in the room, so down and up again!
I didn't eat here after reading some of the other reviews. The hotel was booked by my tour guide, and wasn't nearly as nice as any of the others he booked. The door was very thin, and you could hear every noise outside. Luckily the hotel wasn't very full.

The worse thing though was the clammy sheets - I had to wear socks - and poor quality mattress.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank sussexART

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jonkoping, Sweden
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Two nights ago we have been accommodated in this wonderful hotel and we were more than happy with the whole experience. The staff was very helpful and kind, the food was really tasty, the room was very clean and we were lucky to have probably the best view in Nuwara Eliya over the highest peak of Sri Lanka. We highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The villas are the best and the new building is also very good.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Andreea_Feti
Abu Dhabi
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel earlier this week and it was a very unpleasant experience. The whole place needs a complete refurbishment. Our room, which was up two very steep flights of stairs, was rather damp and smelly. The whole place needed a very thorough deep clean. The service was very slow. There is hardly anywhere to sit and relax. The décor is in a very poor state of repair and extensions are being built on two sides of the building!!!. I ordered stir-fried vegetables as an evening meal and they eventually arrived coated in a gravy granules-like substance. My husband gave up on a meal when he was told that the fish he had ordered would take an hour to cook. I could go on......When my husband spoke to the manager as we left, he got no response whatsoever. I couldn't wait to get out of the place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MorgantheMoon

Travelers are raving about these Nuwara Eliya hotels

Sydney Olympic Park, Australia
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This hotel was booked for us by our guide Sam Lanka tours, a really nice man and recommended. The view of the town and was good but the food was reasonable but basic aand the kitchen did not look to flash. It is a 20 30 min. Stroll to town and reasonably pleasant. The rooms were clean but the the door had to be key locked, the key had to be in the wall socket to gets light, so without a torch etc. this was a challange. Shower was good but again the door was paper thin. It could get cold there and there was cheating in the room. Bed was warm and comfortable.
These senani hotels are a little overpriced and average. This was expensive. Our Rom overlooked a house and local path. It is a nice view from the dining room.

Room Tip: Our room was in view of the dining room and next door to the toilets.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ErandaW w, Manager at Oakray Summerhill Breeze, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for all comments regarding summer hill breeze. We highly appreciate your valuable comments. We apologize for all difficulty which you hand and we are taking all the responsibility for that and taking serious action regarding those issues. At the moment we started all renovation and modification expanding with more facility's to improve superior services before 1st of December 2013.
This all action taken upon your feedback and we extremely sorry for the inconveniences.
On behalf of summer hill breeze Thank you very much we look forward your future comments with serious actions. We all ways learn from you and giving highest priority for your satisfaction.
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed here as part of a tour, we were the only group staying but other tours groups that we had seen were also taken here for lunch. We had a large room which was clean and a lovely view, however the water that came out of the taps was brown due to a problem that was supposed to have been fixed, that was the only hotel I didnt clean my teeth with tap water in two weeks, unable to have a shower as well. Food basic and double the price of other places we had eaten, I was optimistic that they had a vegetarian section in the main meals, however my main evening meal of garlic mushrooms consisted of 10 mushrooms! Breakfast I was given bacon with my omelette and none of our group were able to check out via credit Card.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Susan M
Cheshire
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is by far the worst place I have ever stayed in.
Our driver selected it, I think he had a back hander to take us there.
The matress was disgusting, it was filthy, and smelt awful. I refused to sleep on it, they promised to get a new one, in the end, surprise surprise, they didn't, just put a couple of sheets over it, I tossed and turned all night, and couldn't wait until it came light, so I could get up.
The food was disgusting, some awful chicken with congealed gravy on, which made us both have really upset tummy's the next day.
The staff were off hand, actually rude, we asked for a tut tut, which came after about 40 mins, he didn't understand where we wanted taking, (The Hill Club) the hotel didn't help at all although they understood where we wanted to go, and said they would phone someone!! We felt as though we were being held hostage, this place I can't call it a hotel is so far off the beaten track, can't walk into town, the whole place smelt awful.
In a nutshell, don't touch it with a barge pole!! it's awful, also it's not cheap.

Room Tip: there aren't any, don't bother
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JoCheshire10
singapore (Canadian)
Reviewed April 2, 2013

A place that looked okay from afar but that's where the beauty stops. It is very over-priced for what you get. Find another place if you can. There is no bar fridge and it took one hour for them to bring us ice. We had to argue to get them to accept the Agoda rate and the doors on the rooms appear to be thick cardboard on a steal frame. This makes it easy to hear noise from other rooms. There is no wifi in the room and the wifi in the hotel does not work on all devices. The water in the sink and toilet was brown.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
#10 of 28 in Nuwara Eliya
Araliya Green Hills Hotel
Araliya Green Hills Hotel
#4 of 28 in Nuwara Eliya

Been to Oakray Summerhill Breeze? Share your experiences!