“Sydney is the best thing about this place!”

and 1 more site!
Park View Guest House
Ranked #69 of 223 Nuwara Eliya B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Sydney is the best thing about this place!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Sydney, the manager is friendly and very accommodating and makes best efforts for his guests including providing great cups of tea on demand. .

Unfortunately he doesn't have a great deal to work with. The Park View is an overflow from the Trevene. There's no sign for the Park View, which is set back and not visible from the road, and the manager of the Trevene was unable to explain how to get there, even from the post office, which is 2 minutes walk away.

We had a rear facing, ground floor room which was cold and damp. The bathroom walls and window paint was moldy and there was certainly no view of Victoria Park. The guest house has has no facilities to provide breakfast. Our driver told us he could have found us somewhere much nicer for $30.

Besides Sydney, not recommended....

Room Tip: Demand an upstairs room with park veiw if you must stay here
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

if you are looking for something simple, quiet, clean and no frills, then this is the place to be staying. the property has seven rooms which has been converted from someone residence. It was easy to find and the manager, Herath was extremely helpful throughout. He met up on the road to help us get to the Guest House. The GH is close to the bus-stand (about 5 min walk) and the town center for restaurants, markets etc. The GH is perched on a hill - very private, cut off from the traffic and excellent views of the Victoria Park and hills. Rooms were clean and well furnished. It was a good break not to have a TV. The manager was helpful to get us tuk-tuk contact, places to visit do and even prepare morning tea for us. Does not serve breakfast but has a small kitchen if u want to prepare something. Great place for something simple.

Room Tip: take rooms facing the park - the ground floor is better.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I am surprised at some of the more negative reviews of this place. We have been travelling in Sri Lanka and staying at similar priced, or more expensive hotels and this is the only one i have reviewed, but for the money and location it beats all of the others.
We have generally found thr hotels in Sri Lanka to be expensive but poor quality. This one could easily have a lot of money spent on it and it would improve it greatly, but then they could justify charging a much higher price.
In other hotels we were missing lots of little things that got on my nerves. Here is a list of what this hotel has that others had not. Bedside tables, many sockets to charge appliances, large double bed, sheets that are big enough for the bed, blankets, hot water, a shower that works and the shower head is fixed on the wall, fast wifi connection, communal balcony to enjoy the view, large sitting room, kettle and cups to make your own tea,large bathroom so that the whole floor is not wet for hours afterwards,etc, etc.
Also helpful owner/manager to answer questions about the arra.
One last thing, the hotel has no sign so is difficult to find!

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

The best value guesthouse I have stayed at in Sri Lanka!
2500Rs for ensuite and 2000Rs for shared bathroom.
Nicely furnished with basic items. Clean with very comfortable beds and a decent hot shower.
Adequately warm given the cooler climate. We were given extra bedding and towels when we asked.

The manager Herath was an excellent guide. He provided valuable information about where to eat, how to get around, and local travel tips. He was also able to arrange tours to worlds end at a much cheaper price than quoted by local touts.
Highly recommended!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We actually arrived at The Trevene which is the parent Hotel of The Parkview and just next door, by accident and were sat down to tea by the proprietor. I think they call this area Little England or something and the tea service reminded me of my grandmothers teas which was lovely. We were then taken over to the The Parkview and shown our room which was massive with a great view of the lovely park. That evening we sat and chatted to fellow travellers and a Sri Lankan guide.

The next day we were a few hours away in a taxi and I realised I had left my passport and £400 in my room. I can't describe the shock. Anyway my guide called Miss Nissansala from The Trevene and the manager of The Parkview had found my passport and money and given it to her for safe keeping. We got back to The Trevene and they were all their to meet me and give me my possessions back and sat us down to tea again before we made out fond farewells and thanks and left. Something I will never forget.

I will let these words speak for the quality of The Trevene, and The Parkview, where I stayed.

Finally I must thank my guide Gihan. He was literally worth his weight in gold. He facilitated the return of my money with phone calls, calmed me down when I was in a panic and was about as professional as I can imagine a guide to be as well as knowledgable and amusing.

His number is 072-4684923. Gihan Tours. He is based in Nuwara Eliya.

1 Thank Walgmoom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Guesthouse was hard to find because it is up on the hill but there's a steep shortcut and it takes just 5 mins to the bus station. However, when we booked the room via agoda and arrived, the place was undergoing renovation. They were still painting at 10.30pm and right to our doorstep. The place deemed of paint. Renovation the next day started at 7am. The wifi didn't work.

I think they should not have taken our reservation if the place was so not ready. When we wanted to move out the next morning, they turned nasty.

There's a guesthouse called Victoria Inn just 100m down the road. More convenient, cosy and cleaner. Very friendly staff. Just no wifi but the ambience is so good we did not need it.

• Stayed December 2012

Travelers are raving about these Nuwara Eliya hotels

Muscat, Oman
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here in this no frills and very aptly named guest house, when I visited Nuwara Eliya during my last holiday to Sri Lanka in August of this year (2012).

I got down from the train from Colombo, at a station called ‘Nanu-Oya’ which is about 15-odd kms outside of Nuwara Eliya town. I was told that the Nuwara Eliya railway station is under renovation now.

Touts were swarming all over this station and I got cornered by one, who led me to the Park View Guest House. No complaints though !

I was given a spacious enough room with a bathroom almost as big as the room itself in the ground floor for SLR. 2,500/- per night. The room was neat and the bathroom clean. (See my pictures for reference). There was running hot water. Since the evening was rather nippy, I asked and was given an electric room heater – at extra cost.

The only problem that I felt was I did not get a fresh bath towel as Herath the caretaker told me that they’re all at the drycleaners ! Until my checking-out 2 days later, I did not get a good towel despite my constant asking. Herath did his best to keep me supplied with whatever he could lay his hands on. Well, at least he tried !

Park View Guest House is bang on the centre of the town, at an elevation, and within easy walking distance of almost all of Nuwara Eliya’s main thoroughfares. I walked all over this small town very easily and comfortably. There are enough eateries within 5 minutes of walking distance in the Nuwara Eliya main road / junction.

Standing on the small balcony in the 1st floor of the property, one can see the Victoria Park which is right in front, thus fully justifying the property’s name ! Just adjacent to the hotel across the narrow lane is the famous 27 acre Victoria Park, said to be named to commemorate the 60th Jubilee Coronation of Queen Victoria in the year 1897. The park is well maintained, but not quite worthy of a world famous hill station that is teeming with tourists !

This property also has a small kitchenette equipped with the basics like a microwave oven to reheat food brought from outside and facility for making your cuppa coffee in the mornings.
Thanks to the height in which the Park View Guest House is perched rather precariously, residents are spared the noises of vehicles plying right down below.

Room Tip: The room I stayed in, in the ground floor was good. Spacious and comfortable. I saw some on the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo