“A very memorable experience and friendly staff”
Review of Collingwood Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nuwara Eliya
Collingwood Hotel
Ranked #28 of 30 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We arrived in Nuwalla Eliya quite late on a rainy evening after having driven most of the day and most places had already closed their kitchens and bars. The concierge/manager at the Collingwood, named Lucky, was really kind offered to prepare us some dinner and even kept serving us drinks long past their usual close that night. The next morning after breakfast, Lucky organized a car and driver through the hotel to get us to our next destination 5 hours away. This turned out to be the best driver we had throughout our Sri Lanka trip. Friendly, knowledgeable and very patient, even when we ran away from the van to dive into a mountain waterfall for an hour!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed two nights here. The best thing about this hotel is the location, very close to the city centre and most if the tourist attractions. Also enjoyed the great food served in their restaurant, the grilled chicken they served was awesome. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room had a balcony with great view overlooking the racecourse and lake.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed here because we could not find any other in our budget.
The rooms are OK, hot water is just.
I would not waste my time eating here, go elsewhere.
The chef wore the same dirty tunic day after day.
Use it purely a place to put your head down.
Fly's everywhere in the dining room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 12, 2013

So my friend ,myself and our driver checked into this hotel one night not too long ago. We arrived at nurawella Elia at night due to the lack of street lights in Sri Lanka especially in this mountainous regions we did not get much chance to explore any other hotels other than this and another 3 that's not too far from this hotel. During check in, we were promised hot water and wifi, much to our dismay a lot was just fake. When we sent to our rooms we were greeted with a stale and stagnant smell' almost humid as though the room has not been ventilated for a really long time almost like the previous we're 10 cats who stayed there for months. Wifi was not good and only available on the first floor , not much problem there. We found that we had no towels , so I called room service and asked for 2 to be sent. I waited for almost 40 mins and nothing was done and sent, so I went down and asked for it personally. There was no hot water at all at night At night and in the morning even when we were told there is. The dinner we had was nothing, spectacular. U can get cheaper and better ones elsewhere. The top of the bunch was when we were checking out. While going through the receipt, I saw 2 things. 1st Driver breakfast , the manager wanted to charge me for our drivers breakfast. Our driver has not had breakfast yet and we already planned to go somewhere else and have it. After being told he cleared it, he tried to pull a fast one. Than there was a 10 %service charge. What service..? I asked and he Answered normal service. He was charging me for no hot water me going down for wifi and me going down to get our own towels After waiting for almost 40 mins, a stale and stinky room smell. That is service charge to him. I have stayed at guest houses in Sri Lanka during my 8 day trip that offered better service and facilities than this lousy place. Avoid and come earlier to find a better place..

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Suffian S
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The hotel is in need of maintenance.
We paid to get our laundry done on the first day of our 3 days at this hotel. They said that the laundary will be returned the next day. When we didnt get out clothes the follwoing day we inquired. He said that they had not dried yet and that it will be returned the next morning.
But we requested that they be returned by 7am, as we wanted to leave the hotel at 8am.
But the clothes were nto returned till about 9:30, and when it was finally returned they were still soaking wet. I realise that they dont use dryers, and normally put out the clothes on tea hedges to try and hope for the weather to do its bit. And Sri Lanka being humid, and Nuwara Eliya being the most humid place, I assume it would be hard to dry. But at the end of the day, we pay for a service, and if they say it will be ready.. then it should be ready. And we did pay a premium for the service too..

I've also stayed at Hotel Alpine down the road, which is much better.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chadsta
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

We paid the room with a 5000 Rp bill - two minutes later the manager claimed that he had not received any money from us and wanted another 5000 .... Incredible!! Be EXTRA carefull at that place.

G. + U. from Cologne/Germany

• Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank 54ernesto
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The floor of the room was dirty, the bathroom smelt strongly like cigarette smoke, the downstairs toilet was dirty, we had a lot of little flies in our room, no hot water, poor service, and we were awoken at dawn by a man yelling and swearing in the room next to ours. No toilet paper or towels - so we asked for some (then the towels we were given were old and smelly!). Wouldn't recommend it.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple