“Overrated! Avoidable!”
Review of Mount View Hotel

Mount View Hotel
Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Reviewed October 15, 2012

2 Nights in early October with my Dad.

When an owner of a place justifies the cost of his place by saying things like - 'There was a table, the table had a lamp, there were 2 chairs etc etc', you know the place can't be that great! Unfortunately I hadn't read all the reviews.

I'll start by saying - When on a trip, avoid checking into more than 3 hotels during the course of the trip. Why? Because one bad experience will ruin the whole trip for you. I always try to follow this and so instead of staying one day at Kandy and one day at Nuwara Eliya - I did a quick pit-stop at Kandy and chose to spend 2 days at MountView in Nuwara Eliya. Why? Because of its splendid Trip Advisor rating.

The experience began when we were driving to Kandy. I called in to inform Kasun (the owner) that we'll be slightly late and that it will be great if he could sort driver's accommodation for us. His reply to this was - whether you've booked directly or via Agoda? So I guess they (and many other hotels) have this No-Driver's-Accommodation policy for people who book on Agoda. Then he took 15 minutes to confirm that I actually had a booking - with me saying the booking number nearly 20 times. And I don't have an accent. I'm an Indian. Sri Lankans usually get what Indians are saying instantly.

Then the experience really started.. Google Maps showed us the wrong MountView cottage. We over shot the real place. Ok - our fault. We called them and on the 5th call they actually bothered to take our call. They gave us some directions and said reach so-and-so place and call us. We reached the place and called them. No response. We asked around for MountView and absolutely no one had heard of MountView. Not even people who had shops 100 metres near their cottage. On the 9th call Kasun's wife finally answered the phone. Trust their cockiness - "Don't you have Google Maps" is what they said to me. Then they resorted to making excuses like - we were on the phone, we were serving our guests - excuses which kept changing.

The room was small. Nothing great. Lacked a cupboard - but our dear owner has already highlighted the table, table cloth, table lamp and all the other things the room offered in a comment to a review before. The view? Well there was no view (at least in our room) - And I'm attaching pics too. I think there is only one room at MountView which has any sort of a view.

The food - This is when it all went horribly wrong. They didn't have 90% of things on the menu card. No beef, no fish, no mutton. The only thing they had was chicken. Ordered for grilled chicken and I was served 2 small dry and burnt pieces of chicken. I had no clue on what to eat the rice with! (Pic attached). I love food. Grilled chicken is never usually served with rice and if it is, the chicken usually has some sauce - some sauce to eat the rice with. When I suggested this point to them, the reply was - Only Indians have a problem with this food. 150 people have ordered for this dish and no one has ever had a problem with it! Then Kasun (the owner) goes on to say - If you have so many problems with my hotel - you can leave it.

Woah! Who ever says that to a guest?!

Then our driver was treated shabbily. He was asked to figure out his own stay in the middle of the night. A reasonably cold night.

As expected, we were awake at 5 because of the prayer chants from a monastery near by. It's a great alarm clock if you want to be up at 5, if not - you should get some ear plugs. The next day we avoided staying or eating at the hotel. We prefered being outside and explored Horton Plains and the rest of Nuwara Eliya.

Room Tip: There should be 1 or 2 rooms amidst all their rooms which have a decent view of the valley. Ask for...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
mountviewsrilanka, Owner at Mount View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Perfect drunken dad and son with rude (Drunken Driver)

Before reserve our cottage. Please attention with below information .hotel type, hotel facilities, room types, hotel services, location of hotel (How far from the city) and Worth of Money

One of person call us and asked confirmed there reservation as soon as possible. When I asked reservation number .they are not given correct number .i asked more than 5,6 times reservation number and they couldn’t give correct reservation id .finely I found the reservation number .then I confirmed. But some one who called totally drunk and he couldn’t understand anything.

I explain too many times how to come to this place but drunken person couldn’t understand .finely I asked pass the phone to driver ,when driver answered he also totally drunk .he couldn’t understand what I said

I saw one of car stop our place and came 3 drunken peoples. But I recognized 2 people are Indians and one Sri Lankan driver. In the reception they argue why you dint pick up the phone etc.

After check in they when to the bed room and they make very noisy in side the room .when I asked please don’t disturb to other in house guest .but didn’t care .Room in side smoking and drinking party.

Our kitchen closed 10.pm but after 10.30 p.m guest came to restaurant and asked about they are dinner. I said I can arrange simple meals for you. Then they are ordered meals .After finish all dishes they ware complain about meals and service .But is wondering if the food is not good how come you finish all the dishes. I explain if you not happy with our place please find another hotel .because of we can’t handle drunken people and they are complaints. Also if there is problem at hotel there is away to explain.

2nd day morning they had our breakfast and no complain, after breakfast they went out. Same day night also they came like using hand and legs totally drunk .when they went to the room, Start very noisy but we can’t do anything I explained to our in-house guests about these people situation .Around 9.00 Pm the dad came to reception and ask lime and water to take the room .when we are going to the room we saw the son was vomiting.

This is first time drunken people came and make trouble for us.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

A great little family run guesthouse a little way up the hill out of town (100rupe tuk tuk)
Very friendly manager who was extremely helpful in organising tours. Very accommodating in cooking any food we desired which was fantastic. And she was really nice to have a chat with. Recounting some funny stories of past guests. The call to prayer twice a day was a bit loud, nothing ear plugs didnt fix. The tour out to Horton plains was in a very comfortable van with a great driver. Really enjoyed our stay here. Very clean and tidy.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
mountviewsrilanka, Owner at Mount View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is very important to us, as we try hard to ensure every house guest has a memorable stay. We are delighted you enjoyed our cottage and hope to welcome you back to MountView in the future. Kind regards,Kasun & Shiromi

Reviewed October 3, 2012

It is much more than just a place to sleep, it feels like a home from home! kasun & shiromi who runs this place is extremely friendly and very helpful. Make sure you eat there as the food is absolutely delicious. excellent staff and service.. nice place to stay. location could not have been better, rooms are neat and clean, comfy to sleep…Would recommend to anyone planning to visit nuwara eliya

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
mountviewsrilanka, Owner at Mount View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Having found this place on trip advisor, which quoted rooms at $50 per night, I was disappointed to be told that excluded tax. The place is average, there was no view (unless you call looking over a neighbors rooftop a view), and there is no communal place to sit, which was really needed given our small bedroom & the rain. All in all, not ideal

Room Tip: No space to hang out besides your bedroom. Ask for price include. Tax
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
mountviewsrilanka, Owner at Mount View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Firstly thank for your review. We are sorry about you saying $50 + taxes, if you had ask from us we will tell you our price is including tax ,your driver who call us and we already inform to him the price. It’s not our fault .its a little misunderstanding I explained driver to room rate is USD 50 + Government Tax. Value of your room (Two Single Beds ,Reading Lamp & Bed Side Table, Two sitting chairs and coffee table, Towel rack, Dressing table, LED TV with International Channels, Free Wi Fi,Hot & Cold water with attach bathroom ,Breakfast include and driver accommodation and drivers meals free)Didn't you see? Large rain forest, agriculture farms, tea states and mountains from the large window in your room. Only neighbor’s roof? Didn't you see? Reception area sofas, Indoor and out door dining area, Main entrance out door sitting chars, Your room coffee table and two sitting chairs. Your room size is 12 by 12 feet with out bathroom, it’s a small room? All in all, not the ideal ?

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We only stayed at the Mountview for one night but found to be comfortable and clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. However there was no hot water, this isn't usually a problem in Sri lanka but Nuwara Eliya can get cold!!! Also starting from sunrise (5.30am) we could here the call to prayer and drums from the near by mosque. Obviously couldn't be helped by Mount View but something to bear in mind!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The young couple that run this guesthouse are lovely - they're very welcoming and happy to help with anything you need during your stay. The rooms were clean and tidy and well maintained.

Be wary of a couple of things - it's at the top of the hill and a 10 minute walk from town. Also, there's a temple fairly close and the Buddhist prayer is loud and will wake you at 5am. We were there during Poya, which meant we had prayer and drumming until the early hours as well - so not much sleep! Still, if you're in Nuwara Eliya, you may want to get up early for Horton Plains anyway!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 21, 2012

There is nothing wrong with this place, but please don't turn up expecting a really top-notch guesthouse. I was, based on these reviews, but I was a bit disappointed.
The people who run it were really lovely, and it is very clean, with plenty of hot water (important as it was cold and rainy for our visit) But I'm afraid to say it is nothing special. We paid $84 for a family room and I honestly didn't rate it that highly. Perhaps Nuwara Eliya is a more expensive place to stay? (due to distance, access and necessity of hot water etc) so it may be that other Sri Lankan guesthouses had spoilt me for great value (eg McLeon Inn in Kandy)
I don't want to be too negative, I'm not sorry we stayed here at all, but please lower your expectations as these reviews seem all to be from people who have based their ratings on the niceness of the owners, not really the property itself. I am just trying to be honest - which is what Tripadvisor is here for right?

Room Tip: Family room was fine, but had no view or balcony
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank boo74
mountviewsrilanka, Owner at Mount View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is very important to us, as we try hard to ensure every house guest has a memorable stay. kind regards,Kasun & Shiromi