“Boutique hotel - or overpriced B&B?”
Review of Amaya Langdale

Amaya Langdale
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stayed at this hotel as a family for 1 night.
The hotel arouses mixed feelings: it could either be 2 stars or 5 stars, all depending on your luck.
I will start with the positive attributes of the hotel:
• The location is amazing. Even the bumpy road that was under construction didn't spoil the trip (much). There is a wonderful view of rolling green hills and tea plantations. The air is crisp and so fresh you can drink it.
• We were greeted with tea and delicious cakes.
• The hotel is clean. Very clean. Extremely clean. I would give it 100% for cleanliness, except for the black fingerprints on the white doors.
• The wi-fi signal was received everywhere in the grounds.
• The room decor was nice, and the beds were comfortable.
• The hotel has manicured grounds - not a blade of grass out of place.
• Breakfast was the most memorable we experienced during our trip in Sri Lanka - outside tables with a mountain view, fresh juices and fruit platters, not to mention the divine waffles!
• Adapters and extension cords were provided with the room.

Now for the problems:
• The personnel were helpful, but they couldn't help us with the out-of-order swimming pool.
• Dinner was not that great at all - my children didn't even finish their pizza, and the green salad was just a shredded cabbage.
• Boutique hotels aren't supposed to have more than 5 rooms. This one has 16. During our stay, most of them were occupied so the hotel was overcrowded. After dinner, my children went to bed and my husband and I decided to go to the bar. There was another couple there watching the television and all was well until a family with 2 children came in and began a piano lesson. They played so loudly that we were forced to leave - but all the outside tables were full so the only option remaining was to go to bed. However, our room was right above the aforementioned outside tables so we could hear everything the people below were saying and found it very difficult to fall asleep. They indubitably had the same problem in the morning as we left the hotel very early and probably woke them up.
So if the hotel had been underbooked we would have had a 5-star experience. After leaving the hotel I was ready to give it only 2 or 3.

Room Tip: No tips - if the hotel is full you will have a bad time.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed April 17, 2014

This is a small property with a personalized service. It is a good hotel if you just want to chill out and not move about. It is quite a distance away from Nuwara Eliya but the road is scenic. A quiet 3-4 days vacation home. I would recommend this hotel. Rajesh Pillai

Room Tip: Mountain facing room
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Amazing staff who'll make you feel comfortable and at home. Bumpy road but I don't really remember it as much I remember my time in the hotel. Beautiful place. Opening the windows at dawn felt like I was in a dream where clouds sneak in the room and fresh air fills your lungs..

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Problems with the hotel include:
The heated pool was broken (but they did not advertise that it was broken).
They did not have a masseuse available when we wanted to get a spa (even though they advertise a masseuse).
Their billiard table does not include a full set of pool balls.
The hotel also is 1 hour away from the town of Nuwara Eliya.
No drivers' quarters.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Hiran R
Reviewed March 13, 2014

My wife and I visited this lovely hotel late February 2014 and the review below is an exact match of our experience. Wonderful staff , amazing food, especially the rice and curry meal and the lovely afternoon teas as well as the early morning trip to Horton Plains however we cut our stay one night short ( 2 instead of 3) because of that horrendous road from NE - even our driver wouldn't subject his car to the road - would find it hard to recommend a stay here to friends without knowing that 16kms doesn't need to take 1+ hours.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Michael E
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I don't know how anyone can write a review of this hotel without warning others that you have to endure a horrible, bumpy ride on a windy mud road that is under construction and won't be finished for a long time yet. It took us 45 minutes of a nauseating ride by van from Nuwara Eliya at the end of a long day of driving from Colombo and Kandy. We arrived at the hotel all shook up, literally! The condition of the road means you're mostly marooned here. So you must know this, first, and be warned.

Having said that, this is a lovely small hotel, set in beautiful tea plantation scenery. The staff are friendly and try their best always. My wife and I stayed two nights, and the meals here were the best in our week in Sri Lanka. Chef Sanjay is a gem. His Sri Lankan rice and curry sets make for a fabulous spread of wonderful, varied vegetables and chutneys, with a choice of fish or meat curry. I could eat there every day for a month and not be bored!

I'm giving it four stars because of the staff and food. The room was pleasant and comfortable. It should be five stars if access was less harrowing, and would be three stars or less if staff or food falter. I wish we could have organized short drives to see more of the nearby area, the tea pluckers in action, or even visited the school the estate children walk to every day. But that awful road is just so off-putting. We left the hotel only once, for the must-do excursion to the incredible Horton's Plains.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AlanRJ
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in February during a tour of Sri Lanka. The hotel is a small and a very pleasant place to relax. The western-style menu was excellent and the Sri Lankan curries on the second night were the best we had on the entire trip - especially memorable jackfruit curry. Great chef and service from the two waiters was also excellent.

The only current downside is the major road repair programme taking place between the hotel and Nuwara Elia - around 15km under repair - which means a much earlier start if you are headed for the Horton Plains / World's End early one morning.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple