“Excellent stay !”
Review of Langdale by Amaya

Langdale by Amaya
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was first skeptical but when I arrived at Langdale I couldn't believe my eyes ..so breathtaking and surrounded by mountains ....and of course tea bushes . I must say it is one of the best holidays .the small cosy hotel with14 rooms was out of this world ,couldn't believe I was in Sri Lanka .the service was so good ,they were so attentive and the Manager was ever so willing to accomadate our whims and fancies ( ESP with the rugby channel ) food was just perfect ..pool was nice ...,kids enjoyed playing mini golf, bike riding .....the rooms were spacious .it was like home away from home . Thanks and I will recommend to all my friends and family .....excellent service with a smile ...

Room Tip: Room overlooking the pool .......
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nadabey
There are newer reviews for Langdale by Amaya

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Although I have been to Sri Lanka many times on business, this was the first time I had the opportunity to explore the 'up country' around Nuwara Eliya. I am so glad that I did. It is just beautiful.

This was also my wife's first time to the island so I wanted to treat her with some nice places to stay. To that end I could not have done any better than The Langdale.

The location is just out of this world. Tranquil over looking the beautiful tea clad mountains. You will see reference in other reviews to the road to the hotel - it is the main road from Nuwara Eliya to Hatton but it is in very poor repair. Work is on-going - I was advised that the work will not be done this year as previously mentioned on this site but will be more like 2015. This I suggest is realistic. The 7km from the town will take you 40 mins, but it so very worthwhile - don't be put off.

It is a small hotel and you would expect good service and indeed that is just what we got. A very friendly welcome. On arrival we were invited to afternoon tea on the terrace at 4:30pm - all very civilised. I read from another reviewer of his poor meal service etc. being the only guest. There was only one other couple staying when we were there but the service was great. We were offered the full menu at dinner and could not fault anything.

The restaurant is very nicely appointed and the food is just wonderful. All very well presented with great flavours. A reasonable wine list was also available at sensible prices. The bar is quite small but perfectly adequate for a pre-diner drink.

Take a walk around the tea 'fields' behind the hotel to experience a really quiet and rewarding experience. We met a number of lady tea pluckers who were very keen to show us how they did their job and welcomed the opportunity (for a few rupees) to have their photograph taken.

All in all a fabulous place to stay if you are in this part of the world.

Note - as has been said in a number of reviews of this hotel, try and get one of the upstairs front facing rooms - it is worth it.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs front facing room is you can.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bsomerton
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed for one night in a suite which had views over the tea plantations - amazing. Small hotel but close to Somerset Tea plantation. Service was slow but good. Great place to get away from it all. Would have liked to stay longer.

Room Tip: Choose a suite with balcony and views to tea plantations.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary M
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Beautiful view and thats about it! USD 250 for a double per night and did not meet expectations at all. I felt ripped off when I saw my room, no place to store your overnight necessities and the shower is screened of with plastic curtians. We then demanded an upgrade and was offered the Luxury room which wasnt better. At least the toilets had zinks, nevertheless it smelt of urine. We had a few issues with the service as well and hope the management would do something to upgrade the standard of service and also make sure the rooms complies with the quoted price.
The Spa was a joke and had a home sauna where they charge extra! The pool was small but OK but here again they were very reluctant to hand out towels and matresses.
All in all I would have rather stayed at the Heritance Tea Factory wich is a gorgeous place with better views standards and value for money. I would not go back to Langdale.

All in all I would have rather stayed at the Heritance Tea Factory

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Hotel is small, a typical old plantation bunglow. The food was below par with only a single option in the menu (maybe because we were the only guests at the time) and the 'High Tea' offered to On-Line booking guests was a joke - only a few pieces of cake & cheap biscuits. Though the staff were friendly & pleasent enough, the overall experience was very disappointing for the price paid. It was very expensive & I later found out that there are similar, or even better, hotels much cheaper. Most of all, I felt cheated by the whole booking process & the attitude of the Hotel Management.

The reason I booked Langdale was because my credit card offered a 20% discount but when I telephoned the Amaya Office to make the booking, I was told that I had to call over at their Office in the City to pay a deposit which could not be done over the telephone. However, when I asked if I could do the booking online, I was told it was possible & the Credit Card discount was also confirmed but when it came to pay the final bill after 2 days stay at the Hotel, the discount was not given. The reason was because I had made the booking On-Line. I was never informed of this, inspite of confirming the discount with Amaya Booking Office staff & there was no response to my complaints, even by the Management, apart from the 'Hotel Policy' disclaimer. In my openion, the booking staff purposely withheld the information knowing very well that I was booking on line & was expecting the discount. Even with the discount, I believe its overpriced, therefore, my conclusion is that it's a tourist rip off which can be expected from any cheap hotel.

Room Tip: Only a swimming pool & spa, nothing to do, only a short walk in the tea plantation possible (roa...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Palitha R
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Don't be put off by the distance from Nuwara Eliya, the location is truly wonderful. It is peaceful, serene and boasts beautiful views. Relaxing in the pool and looking out at the view is really special. The tea & cakes served at 4pm is a real treat. The service is impeccable, the rooms are really clean & staff are helpful and welcoming - congratulations to the staff! One of the best places we stayed in Sri Lanka. Highly recommended.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2013

A gorgeous place with a view to the tea plantages.
The rooms are great, the service best and the quality of food overwhelming. Although they serve international cuisine, you just have to ask and get a great local style curry at it's best.
Everything is done with perfection. We were there just after Christmas. Everything was wonderful decorated, the rooms very good and well taken care. So was the rest of the hotel and surrounding area.
The SPA was OK so a bit cold for our taste.

Room Tip: Just see that you get an upstairs room because the view is better and you have no noise from the res...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple