“If I had read reviews before...”
Review of Hill View Bungalow

Hill View Bungalow
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Reasonable rent, free pick-up service from the town centre, free welcome tea and cockies, and nice and friendly staff etc. To be honest, this hostel was really good, but I suspected that was too good to be true, while I was staying there.... If I had read reviews on tripadvisor before, I would have enjoyed my stay there....

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank misocutlet
There are newer reviews for Hill View Bungalow

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Beautiful house with an even more beautiful terrace.The owners were very friendly and helpful.
There are rooms with a shower on the second floor and 3 rooms with shared shower and toilets on the first floor. The rooms were very clean and you can really feel at home there since there is a living room. Sadly there is no heating so the december nights can get quite cold. Hot water was plentiful but it was either too hot or too cold.
The breakfasts were the MOST EXPANSIVE we have had in Sri Lanka and special requests were totaly ignored. Had we discovered it before the end of our stay, we would have made the 15 minute walk to town for breakfast.
To SUM THINGS UP: great place to stay but not in the middle of winter and skip the breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We hired Rajith, the owner, as our driver (unfortunately we were bound by a reservation at another hotel in Nurelia). He picked us up in Kandy, drove us to Horton Plains, and took as down to Midigama over the following days. Rajith is a very responsible and experienced driver, and is very reliable. His Geely is brand-spanking-new. Highly recommended!
His guesthouse looks lovely and very quiet. We had lunch there, which was wonderful.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Spent three nights here. The room was very clean with excellent hot shower! The view from the house is awesome and you can enjoy it better if you manage to get the upstairs rooms with the balcony. We would have love to stay in one of them however at the time we stayed they were already occupied. The family hosts are lovely and they do help you in whatever you need. Thr lady of the house also prepared a very tasteful packed lunch for us on the day we visited hortain plaines :)

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights at the Hill View. It's not the cheapest choice in town but you don't get such nice views for free... ;-)
Try the sri lankan breakfast!
If you need a tour guide ask for Santhe! He's the man!
Don't go to the teafactory on weekends. No production - it's not worth it.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Travelled there in a chilling rainy day with a friend of mine and a tuk tuk driver took us to this place. Honestly speaking, the house itself looks clean and decent.

We lived in the downstairs double room and paid two thousand 500rs. The window of balcony door is broken so the winds went through for a whole night which is very cold. The owner did not apologize this after we found out the broken door, but instead they are really strict on letting us use lights in the living room.

No towels were provided so I called the lady to bring towels. She came down with towel and suddenly got really angry to see that the toilet light was on, and I was waiting for the towel so I came out to fetch them I wasn't in bathroom, then the long lecture begins with few dirty words from the owner saying we are bad women bcoz we don't let them make money.

I explained I just turned on the lights and for a few seconds I come out there is no problem with that. Then the husband keeps saying how expensive the electricity is, even for ONE SECOND out of bathroom u should turn off lights. The wife walked into bathroom and shut off the lights when I was still in.

They keep the curtain in living open so they can see from outside. I closed it, they came back to open again. They lock the entire living room and our bedroom from outside. I have NEVER EVER seen a guest house treat its guests like this. Husband even ask us to pay and move out at midnight. Keeps standing in our room for a few minutes educating us about there is no profit to make if we don't turn off light in barroom for a second.

Really we have no problem with the house, but the crazy owners really made us an extremely bad experience staying in nuwara eliya. If you think 2500rs for the double room is too low, sure you can rise the price of the room instead of giving the guests a bad night.

Room Tip: House itself there is no prob but the owner is really the craziest lady we met in Sri Lanka if u wan...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MasterJin
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The food was excellent, the rooms were kept very clean and neat! Me and my wife stayed here, and I have to say, everything was just excellent! The management here is very friendly and cordial! I recommend any future guests to this area to stay here!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family