“Uncomfortable...”
Review of Grosvenor Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nuwara Eliya
Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Chicago
“Uncomfortable...”
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

My driver took me there and overall it was not a good experience. Being a woman alone I felt uncomfortable. I saw one other woman and other than that, it was all local drivers and male employees hanging out. The entire place was freezing. I had two long sleeved shirts, wool socks and trainers and was still uncomfortably cold, I was cold all night and did not sleep well. There was a fireplace in my room, they charged 600 rupees to light it and the fire lasted an hour. There were no towels when I arrived in my room, they brought me two that were very old and rough. There was no hairdryer or safe in the room. I could hear everything in the hall, someone unzipped a bag and I thought someone was in my room. Overall, the place was very cold feeling and I felt on guard throughout my stay, not good when you paid 7,000 rupees for the room (through the driver's deal?!?!). I would not let a friend stay here.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank tlb999

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Edinburgh
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Do not go here if u are a solo woman traveller. The young male staff at reception are a pest. The atmosphere of the hotel is creepy and run down. The room beside the reception is next to the staff accommodation and very noisy . This hotel has great potential but needs the staff to be trained properly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Podgal

Travelers are raving about these Nuwara Eliya hotels

Hong kong
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Dirty bed, very humid and cold, we didn't sleep well at all. Bit frustrating as the building looks nice from outside, it was probably a good place 30 or 40 years ago.
Breakfast was ok.

Price was by far too high compare to quality.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marc G
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 5, 2013

A friend and I stayed at this hotel from a Rough Guide recommendation. There were two young staff members that were too forward with us, and we caught one of them peeking at us while we were showering. The windows in this hotel are ground level and without curtains in the bathroom. We complained immediately to the manager, and he only offered another room and no other action. We left right away and moved to the Alpine Hotel next door and filed a formal complaint with the police. This situation was handled very badly and we feel this is not a safe place to stay. We have been informed that the two young men have been fired and are no longer working at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Travelerchic88
England
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Grosvenor Hotel, Nuwara Eliya has such good potential - in a grand old British building, in a good location in Nuwara Eliya this place could be made absolutely stunning if some work was put into it. Unfortunately, the whole place seems neglected and doesn't come anyway near as good as it could be.

Firstly, Nuwara Eliya is COLD (that is coming from someone who has lived in the North of England for the past four years!) - it is about 10 degrees outside and due to no heating, it is about that temperature inside the Grosvenor Hotel as well. Everyone had to walk around the hotel with their jumpers and coats on. Upon asking for a heater due to an awful night's sleep, I was told there were no heaters. I had to sleep with four blankets it was that cold!

The room was large but very draughty and had problems with damp. The shower was usually freezing cold and soaked the entire bathroom. Whilst I was there there were storms overnight with winds and a lot of rain. Throughout the night the hotel doors continuously banged against each other very loudly with the wind, making for an extremely poor nights sleep. The internet did not work and the food was overpriced an substandard.

Overall - avoid this place and find somewhere better to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank scaryhair
Bucharest, Ro
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We are doing a private tour of Sri Lanka and our guide booked this hotel for us and we are very upset. As we speak we look for another hotel during the night. First of all, its expensive compared to other accomodations around the island. Above this, the temperature outside is around 10 C, they have no heating but they charge money for 2 handfull of branches to set the fireplace going. The branches youre buying will keep you about half an hour, every time you want wood, you pay about 4euros. As the storm started to break out outside, all smoke was brought in the room, leaving us coughing and breathless. The manager replied that we are the only one complaining and that his hotel is full with happy customers.
He said he will make us the favor of not making us pay for the second pile of wood.
This experience was a cold shower as everyone on the island was so nice and welcoming with us. Besides, except for the "end of the world" thing not really worth it to stop

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank s3th
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Please ask the menu to know the prices and check your bill before you pay! We had dinner here and they double price the amount on the check from the menu! we complained to manager twice and still not get the exact amount. Cheating the foreigners is seem common in this place as sometime foreigners didnt check the prices from menu, so they can charge you as they like. Well, the room was big and has fireplace but not very clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple