“Clean But Creepy”
Review of Grosvenor Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nuwara Eliya
Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Halifax, Canada
“Clean But Creepy”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The room was spotless despite a very stained bathtub. But the whole place is creepy, dated and dowdy. The internet worked badly.

Worst of all, our toilet wouldn't flush. I told a hotel staff person and he said someone would come to fix it in 10 minutes. An hour later no one had come. Eventually two guys, who obviously knew nothing about plumbing, came to our room with me. I removed my shoes before stepping on the white tiled floor. They didn't. After much giggling from them, they said they'd fixed the problem. I thanked them. They left and I went into the bathroom. The floor was muddy and wet and the toilet still didn't flush. I complained. They returned but we never did get a flushing toilet.

The breakfast, which was included in the room rate, was okay and our waiter was polite and efficient. Next morning we checked out and the manager was good about getting us a taxi to the train station and we were happy to leave.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Roma S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This place is poor.
It is old and the service is not the best.
The mattresses were laying on old wooden support. There is noise and you can listen to your room neighbors from your bed. The bathroom was full of ants, the sink felling apart.
In the morning we had to leave early and breakfast starts at 7h30, I told them the day before that they could prepare but it was not, and they gave us 2 bananas and bad sandwiches that we waited for 20 minutes.
They have fire places in the room for which there is an extra charge for you to use.
To be honest, I was frustrated because I was seeing people having a nice time in the next door hotel ( Alpin).
Nuwara Eliya is not a nice town to go out, so you can of have to stay in the hotel. Now, the tea plantations were amazing and at least we were happy with the day we had spent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank christophec638

Travelers are raving about these Nuwara Eliya hotels

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Like seems to happen to with so many, my girlfriend and I ended up in this hotel at the end of a tour in March 2013.

Although the bedroom was large and clean, the bathroom was below average (but I wouldn't say dirty), and the handle came off the toilet when we tried to use it. The food was the worst we had in our 17 days in Sri Lanka. It was cold, not too pleasant and even though there were only 3 couples (1 of which was us) being served, the service was poor. Our plates were left on our table for ages and we had to shout across the room before they came over so we could order a tea and then our bill. Although we ordered tea in our room when we arrived, the pot and cups were still there when we checked out the next morning.

It wasn't a terrible place but had it not been part of a tour, we wouldn't have booked this place ourselves.

Oh and yes it is cooler here but I don't think that's the hotels fault - Nuwara Eliya as a town was easily the coldest place we visited in Sri Lanka, indeed it's called "Little England" because the Brits built the place because it was cooler than the rest of the country.

1 Thank Matt M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel has great potencial if only some cared to clean it and renovate it. Room very spaciuos with nice furniture, however sheets with stains, dust everywhere and bathroom was appalling! Bath looked like never cleaned and toilet desk fixed/ or not with some wire. Little effort and would be different, but it was not. We only stayed 1 night and if ever back in Nuwaraeliya I would prefer to find another hotel in better conditions.

Jersey
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Only booked to stay one night as part of a tour, fortunately, as we wouldn't have stayed a second. Nice old building which needs a lot of refurbishing. Good size rooms and public areas spacious. Had to pre-order dinner, which was probably our worst meal in Sri Lanka, and it was served right on time which meant, however, it was all over in 25 minutes. Room very cold at night so had difficulty sleeping. Only one very thin blanket provided so if you do stay here request extra ones. Hotel well positioned for park and 10 - 15 minutes walk to town centre.

Antibes, France
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were on a private tour of Sri Lanka in Jan/Feb 2013 and were booked into this hotel for 2 nights. When we arrived the manager put us in a room with an outlook of a wall, so when we told him we were booked into room 2 he reluctantly took us there instead. However, although the room was large and very old fashioned, the blankets were dirty, there were no pillowcases and the bath was filthy with no plugs for bath or sink and mildew all over window and shower curtains. I wouldn't even have climbed into the bath for a shower, it was so awful.
After complaining about no plug for my husband to have a shave, they provided a desert bowl and we were also hoping to wash out some clothes so we gave 5 items to the laundry instead.
However, because they were so unhelpful about everything else, we moved into the Alpine Hotel, just next door which was a big improvement.
The next morning we went back to collect our laundry which cost more than originally quoted, to find one pair of walking trousers dirtier than when given in, and my pair( which were brand new before the holiday) had 3 holes around the front caused by an iron. When we told the Manager, he denied that it could have been done by them and the laundry women just laughed in our faces. Angry was an understatement, as I only had one pair of walking trousers with me and we still had 12 days left in Sri Lanka.
Therefore, I would urge no one to ever set foot there as they were rude, unhelpful and the place was filthy, dark and drab and no alcohol which I actually felt I needed after the way the staff treated me.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Funjules
Lodz, Poland
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We spent in this hotel one night in January 2013. Hotel is located about 5 minutes walking form the city center and close to the lake. Hotel is in old English fashion, according to the city standard. The room was simply decorated but spacious. Hotel has problem with cleanliness: we received dirty blanket on the bed and after replacement, new one wasn't better. Bathroom was horribly dirty: bath wasn't cleaned for a last few years as on one of the pictures. Room was without A/C but it wasn't useful during the night as it was very cold (additional blanket should be attached). Food was fine and reserved fast as for the lankian standard. Hotel waiters were unprofessional, with hands in the pockets and mobile phone in a hand during dinner serving.
We can recommend this hotel for short staying in the city but be careful about the bed and bath cleanliness.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple