“our room smelled of mothballs” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Tea Bush Hotel
Ranked #62 of 217 Nuwara Eliya B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“our room smelled of mothballs”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights in January. The room we were given smelled very strongly of mothballs. We had to open up the windows but that didn't help much at all. The view from the restaurant was nice but we did not enjoy the food at all. I got a mild case of food poisoning the second night from eating a salad. I couldn't eat the next day at all. The staff were friendly and tried to help by noticing that we didn't eat breakfast on the morning we were leaving and gave us some bananas.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank momfrompr
TBhotel, Co-ordinating Secretary at Tea Bush Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

We were delighted to read your comments on Trip Advisor and to learn that you have been impressed with our staff service.

However, we were very concerned to hear about our rooms were smelled of mothballs and you got a mild case of food poisoning. My heartfelt apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay at Tea Bush hotel.

We have taken note of your feedback and have already taken up the smelled of mothballs issue with the associates concerned in order to take necessary remedial actions.

Once again we apologize for all the difficulties faced and warmly welcoming you back to Tea Bush Hotel to experience the difference.

Kind Regards,
Co-ordinating Secretary
Tea Bush Hotel (Pvt) Ltd.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

I booked a triple room through Agoda but on arrival, they were unsure about our booking and was told that there are no rooms avaiable but there are repairs going on in a double room and if we could wait until repairs are completed we could stay there. As the room offered to us was cheaper than the triple we paid for, I asked for the excess paid before settling the bill for food, etc and I was assured that I would get a refund from Agoda as I had paid direct to Agoda. I was told they will copy me on their email to Agoda. Up to date I have not received their email to chase for a refund nor a refund from Agoda.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
TBhotel, Co-ordinating Secretary at Tea Bush Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear Kushi Fernando,

Thank you so much for your review and on behalf of the entire staff at the Tea Bush Hotel, I would like to apologize for the disappointing stay you had. As per your record you have booked standard Triple room on Feb 05th and on that day all our hotel rooms were full. That’s why the hotel staff has given you Standard Double room.
We have taken up this issue with the associates concerned in order to take necessary remedial actions.

Co-ordinating Secretary
Tea Bush Hotel (Pvt) Ltd.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

After a quick scan of others' review, I do feel my experience was a little different: we stayed there for two nights and I love it so much!
Positive side: Room is clean and tidy. The bed is soft. It is on the peak of a small hill, which has a lot nice and English style hotels. I love the way we walked from tea bush hotel towards grand hotel, feeling like walking around those small towns in Europe. The curry rice with mutton I had in the hotel was the best curry rice I have ever tried in Sri Lanka.
Negative side: it was a little complex to use the shower. It turned out with no hot water halfway. It was really cold as temperature there was ard 15-20 at night. No one to replace tissue paper, a little embarrassing.
Special things to mention: what a fantastic place to view rosy down. I was waiting to my diver towards Horton plant at ard 5:30am. Watched the rosy down by chance. It was so nice and brightened my day.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear sangsang_lw,

Thank you so very much for your wonderful review, I am delighted to know that you truly enjoyed your stay at Tea Bush hotel and that everything was to your liking.

I am particularly happy to know that you found all the staff at the hotel helpful and I really hope you make of Tea bush Hotel your most favourite hotel for the future.

We all look forward to welcome you back very soon.

With fond regards and best wishes,

Co-ordinating Secretary
Tea Bush Hotel (pvt) Ltd.
dubai
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

We booked 7 rooms in total at Tea Bush for two nights with 14 of my cousins.

Unfortunately, on arrival, the hotel seemed very confused about our booking, as they thought it was 7 double bed rooms for 7 people. The 'double bed' was made of two single beds stuck next to each other, so was very difficult for a couple to sleep on.

The staff were nice and polite but did not have an alternative for us. As a result we stayed only one of the two nights booked and changed our plans. The hotel is clean, however, with nice views of the tea fields and free internet access. It is quite far from the main road.

Room Tip: The hotel is clean, however, with nice views of the tea fields and free internet access. It is q...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Nuwara Eliya hotels

hong kong
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

This is the worst hotel in the price range I have ever stayed in anywhere, in more than two decades of travelling all over the world, and a lot of nights in simple places in developing countries . Avoid it at all costs. The sheets on the beds were soiled. The room itself smelled of urine and the carpet was dirty. The lighting in the room was the sort of thing you'd find in an interrogation cell. The bathroom was so dirty we had to try to avoid touching anything - especially the light fixture, which had exposed wiring and was hung at head-height right next to the (for safety's sake, thankfully weak) shower, which ran cold after a few minutes. There was a rat-hole chewed in the bathroom door, right next to the bed. The room was also freezing (no heating at all) and when we asked for a heater, my wife and I were rudely informed it would be US$15 extra per night (we stayed only one night, thank God). We've stayed in plenty of places that aren't perfect, but at least where the management try to make the best of things. When we discovered how dirty the sheets were, we had to search the whole place (no lights in the hallways) to ask for fresh ones. When we finally raised the manager, he snorted, "You should have checked the sheets when you checked in", as if we should have assumed the sheets would be filthy (seriously, when was the last time you felt you needed to do a sheet inspection upon check-in?). When I insisted he change the sheets, the manager became very aggressive, to the point of physically grabbing me and trying to push me about. After that, I threatened to call the police and he seemed to become more reasonable, though only after a 20-minute stand-off, which isn't what my wife and I needed at the end of a 9-hour road trip and late arrival. His two staff seemed very disspirited and unhappy, so I can only imagine how he treated them. The place is also miles away from anywhere in the town that you might want to go, a long, winding way up a steep hill, and the restaurant, despite its nice view, is very poor and unfriendly. Don't stay here, whatever you do. It's just awful. A travel agency made our booking. Safe to say I'll never use them again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank adviceforgoodpeople
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

The owners of this hotel were very helpful in giving advice for our trips and in arranging breakfast at time in which normal people are still fast asleep.
The property has a nice view across Nuwara Eliya and rooms are spacy and clean, although a bit cold at night.
We had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Elsloo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2011

This hotel is just way overpriced. 8000Rs for the simplest room for one night when there isn't even a closet or a hanger for your clothes. You need to put your clothes, books, etc.. on the floor. The hotel has a nice view from the restaurant, but doesn't have the right feel to it. The manager is trying to be as nice as he can, but gave us the creeps as he was always everywhere we were aswell. That may have something to do with the fact that the hotel was almost empty. The manager also made the staff nervous. They were frightened to say or do anything when he was around as he always gave them the feeling he wanted the control and took the work out of their hands. We had planned to stay 3 nights, but made it 2 nights. We couldn't get out of here fast enough.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
#76 of 217 in Nuwara Eliya
Emerald Hill Hotel
Emerald Hill Hotel
#59 of 357 in Kandy

Been to Tea Bush Hotel? Share your experiences!