“A jewel of a hotel”

Jetwing Warwick Gardens
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We arrived here in the dark after a long journey from Galle - our spirits were lifted as soon as we walked into the stunning drawing room. The dining table was laid and candles had been lit and all our frutrations iwth the journey melted away. Not only is the decor fabulous but the view is incomparable. When we woke the next morning to see the valley below we felt we had found exactly what we'd been looking for in an hotel. The food was excellent and I could not fault the service. They bent over backwards to make us feel at home. Why stay in Nuwara Eliya when this gem is nearby?

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank womersley
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Warwick Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2010

Dear Guest,

Starting off I would like to thank you for your warm comments with regard to your stay at Jetwing Warwick Gardens.
It is an absolute please to read your review and the positive comment have already been passed down to the associates.
I would like to take this opportunity to extend this invitation to you to come back and indulge your self with us during your next visit to Sri Lanka.

Reviewed February 15, 2010

After reading the numerous views of past travellers, we were a little weary of going to the hotel, but some of our Sri Lankan friends persuaded us to try it out and we were very glad we did!

We found the hotel to be one of the most romantic hotels in Nuwara Eliya, with beautiful scenery with very pleasant and courteous employees. We were there over the weekend and had a wonderful time where, unlike in some places in Sri Lanka we were undisturbed and virtually having the house to ourselves.

If visitors expect to be waited on hand and foot, this is NOT the place to go. The management is trying to run this as a true tea Bunglow and provide its visitors a different experience to one you would find in most hotels.

Having been regular travellers to hotels in Sri Lanka, we find the Manager to be somewhat different to the norm. I guess, he operates on the basis "the bungalow and the staff is yours to have a nice time, any issues I am at your call". We loved it!

We were a little surprised by some of the guests unnecessary rudeness to the staff, where we observed one guest actually chastise the Manager for saying "good morning", stating that he was too loud!

All in all a wonderful hotel and we recommend without any reservation!

Cambridge 2004

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Let me shoot off by thanking you for staying at Jetwing Warwick Gardens and for the lovely comments, it was really the ice on my cake for the day.
Your positive feedback has been passed down to the associates and let me extend my gratitude on behalf of the entire team.
Hoping to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed February 12, 2010

After being told the area of Nuwara Eliya was beautiful we were very disappointed. Cold, damp & misty. Tatty in the extreem & quite charmless, we weren't impressed with Nuwara Eliya! Worse was to come! We eventually found the hotel at the end of a 1/2 mile track full of potholes & fallen rocks, it was actually very dangerous & our driver said he would not come back. When we arrived we were initially impressed. It did look pretty. We were shown in & served tea. The chef then insisted on showing us the kitchen, his pride & joy being a 6 door AGA. On further investiation we discovered it did not work. This summed up the hotel "Promised so much but could not deliver". We requested a large double bed, this was not possible so we went for a twin room which was agreed to. On arrival we had a very small double with a mattress that felt as if it was made of concrete. My girlfriend ended up on a camp! The room was cold so we requested the fire (as advertised) be lit. This was done but went out within a couple of minutes due to it's poor design (no draw). We then had a cold smoky room. We tried to warm up with a shower, only to find a cheep & shoddy mixer ment it was inpossible to regulate the temperature. It didn't matter anyway as the hot water only lasted a couple of minutes! The result one cold & very ticked off girlfriend with hair covered in conditioner. Dinner was slightly better, the food tasted good but was served luke warm on cold plates. We retired to bed hopeing things would seem a little better in the morning. Unfortunately due to the beds & the TV, located in an open plan part of the downstairs hallway, which was being watched by a young Sri Lankan lady (who must have been deaf judging by the ridiculous volume), we got to sleep in the early hours. We were then rudely awoken to crashing & banging from the Kitchen at about 7am, this was probably a plus point as it meant we could leave early. We even struggled to escape, our driver & myself had to get out of the car on 5 occasions to remove large mud caked heaps of rock from the track to get the car through. In short, do not go to this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DakarJohn

Dear Guest,

Let me start of by extending my deepest apologies for any and all inconveniences caused to you and your partner during your stay at Jetwing Warwick Gardens.
We at Jetwing believe in maintaining high standards and above all look towards the satisfaction of our guests. I am truly saddened by your comments which reflects that we have fallen short of our and more importantly your expectations.
Your honest comments are well noted and will be taken positively, because we at Jetwing is always looking to improve our services and standards.

Reviewed January 23, 2010

Myself, Partner and his parents stayed in Warwick Gardens last September for two nights. Although the driveway was a bit hairy we were so pleased that it was worth bumping around in the van for 5 minutes. Upon arrival approx 11pm we were ushered to leave our bags to be taken care of whilst we went to the living room. Within minutes we were given freshly squeezed (Chinese apple - i think!!) which was absaloutely delicious and just what we needed after our long drive from Colombo. We were quickly allocated out rooms and found our luggage had already been neatly stacked in each. Within 1/2 hr we had dinner, fresh fish, chicken with vegetables and potatoes. We were all very tired from the journey and were pleased to find wonderful plump pillows and duvets to snuggle into for the night.

Upon waking in the morning - WOW what a view - breathtaking. We were then shown to the breakfast room where more freshly squeezed juices had been placed alongside fresh flowers. We all had a cooked egg breakfast with toast and pretty much whatever else we wanted, pancakes, omlette, jams, preserves and honey. - absaloutely devine and definately what we wanted for setting us up for the days adventures. We were asked what we would like for dinner so that fresh vegetables and meat could be bought from the market / dug from the garden.

Upon returning to Warwick Gardens late afternoon we decided to take a walk around the gardens. It was so clear to see how well the plantation house had been restored and how much work went in to working the gardens, dairy cows and goats. Robert our chef (5* i would say) cooked us the most fantastic meal, 10 herb soup made from all herbs grown and harvested in the WG garden - amazing. then he cooked us a traditional sri lankan meal as requested, beetroot, carrots, fragrant curries and delicious rice with fresh fruit (picked from the garden as allways) for desert.

Warwick Gardens was the 1st two nights of our stay in Sri Lanka and it couldnt have been better. This guest house is perfect for somebody who is looking for a relaxing, historical and peaceful retreat. The scenery on a clear day is amazing, the bird life and vegetation spectacular. I just wish there were more places to stay like this, amazingly clean, self sufficient, personal and most of all unlike any other place i have stayed. Previous reviews in my mind have given WG a hard time, where else have you stayed that offers all of the above, ok there may not be bars and restuarants but really - in the tea hills of Sri Lanka - thats certainly not why i went there and certainly not what anyone should expect. WG is a gem in the middle of such an astonishingly beautiful place, id go back tomorrow if I could. As far as the manager goes, well we hardly saw him and Robert the chef / house keeper was enough for me to recommend anyone to visit WG. I just wish id got his soup recipe written down!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Let me start of by thanking you for the delightful comments regarding Jetwing Warwick Gardens. It is truly nice to hear that you had an excellent time with us. We at Jetwing always try to maintain high standards in terms of the satisfaction level of our guest.
I would like to take this opportunity to extend an invitation to you and your loved ones to come and enjoy a long and joyful stay with us.
Thank you again for staying at Jetwing Warwick Gardens and giving us the opportunity to share a bit of the Jetwing Hospitality with you

Reviewed January 21, 2010

This is a real gem of a place tucked away in the middle of rolling tea plantations and really interesting villages. The food is superb and very reasonable at about £8 for a three course dinner. They do have some bottles of expensive wine but they can also get hold of £15 bottles - obviously being so isolated they are dependent on what they have in stock but the manager will go out of his way to get anything you need.
You do need to be more proactive here than in a hotel, it is set up as a home rather than a hotel so if you want a g&t or a beer, there's always someone on hand to get one - just ask.
As with all places in Sri Lanka, you need to lock up your room and valuables. The staff are friendly and though the English of some of them is limited, they will try their best to please.
The road to the hotel is rather narrow - but it is worth it when you get there for the peace and quiet! I have stayed in a couple of hotels in Nuwara Eliya and the standard is really poor - this is by far the best in the area!
All-in-all - Warwick Gardens has it's faults, but the pluses more than outweigh them!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Starting off I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us during your visit to Sri Lanka. I hope that your trip was enjoyable and full of joyful memories!
Your kind comments are most appreciated and your small points regarding the details on where we can improve are well noted. We believe in attention to detail and we understand that small things go a long way.
Do hope to see you soon during your next visit to Sri Lanka.

Reviewed January 2, 2010

We stayed 2 nights at Warwick Gardens over Christmas and were pleasantly surprised to find this hidden gem although it was quite difficult to find and the driving was quite tedious as other reviewers have mentioned. The location is very remote once you are there you are forced to have all meals at the estate and there is little to do in the surrounding area except walks around the tea estates etc. The estate itself has been restored beautifully and the room and whole house in fact is impeccably clean and very beautiful antique furniture etc.
The weather was disappointing as we had rain most of our stay although we were told that the area has a high rainfall and sunny days are few and far between.
We were disappointed that upon arrival the Manager failed to give us any information regarding what we could do in the area, how we went about ordering meals, timings for meals etc. He also did not give us a room key, said that it was lost which was quite strange as other guests had a key to their room. I noticed there was a study with lots of books and magazines, as the Manager was not around I asked the cleaning lady if I could borrow something to read, it was all in a locked bookcase she found the keys eventually and let me borrow some magazines I noticed the next day they had been swiftly taken and locked back into the cabinet again, I could not be bothered going through the hassle of asking to borrow some more again but I did wonder why things needed to be locked up (????).

The next issue we faced was no hot water and no water pressure to run a bath, although when brought to his attention the manager did address and resolve this problem. We also had an issue with the chimney when the open fire was lit in that there was a blockage which was causing the room to fill with smoke, this problem was also addressed.

The food was quite good and reasonably priced however there are no menu's or indication on pricing, this you find out when you check out. We had a bottle of Australian wine for around $40 which we felt was quite reasonable. The Christmas Eve Dinner was $30 pp and consisted of a 4 course set menu which was quite delicious.
Unfortunately the dinner left a sour taste in our mouth when we retired upstairs to our room after dinner we discovered my mobile phone had gone missing. I brought this issue immediately to the attention of the Manager and half an hour later the phone magically appeared downstairs switched off (it was previously turned on). There have been some allegations as to who may have been responsible for this disappearance however I do not want to go into this on TripAdvisor as the phone was returned to me in the end and I have no evidence to verify to substantiate the claims made. Subsequently I asked the Manager again for a key to which he shrugged me off saying it must have gone missing and that there had been no issues in the past, I should not worry !
Another issue was that our Drivers advised us that the accomodation provided to them was way below standard and they were getting bitten by insects they ended up only staying one night and going somewhere else the next night. Management also made them pay for meals which we felt was unreasonable given the rate that we were paying to stay in the Estate. Most other hotels and guesthouses provided free accomodation and food for our drivers without hesitation and in some cases we were paying rates of only $40-80 per night.
We were also surprised that the Manager was barely present and left the Chef and Cleaner in control of the house. Both were lovely Sri Lankan people and very good at their jobs (ie cooking & cleaning) however spoke barely any english so communication was difficult at times, the Chef was serving our drinks/tea etc and acting like a butler when it was obvious this was out of his league, his cooking on the other hand was fantastic and he went out of his way to be friendly and make sure we were happy so no issues there. We were told that there was usually another younger guy there to help out but he was with his family for Christmas. It seemed like the Manager was more concerned about running the estate in relation to what was happening outside rather than providing good service to the guests so I do agree with the comments made by others in this regard that he is not 'management material' for this guesthouse.
Just a warning to new visitors; please make sure you get a room key and dont leave any valuables unattended in your room.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fleur G

Dear Guest,

Thank your for choosing to stay at Jetwing Warwick Gardens during your visit to Sri Lanka
I would like to take this opportunity to apologize with regard to the incident tied to your mobile device. I assure you that this was an isolated incident and a thorough investigation was carried out with regard to the matter. The security and the safety of our guests and their property is up on our highest priorities.
I have passed down the comments you have made and they will be taken positively to up our standards and services.
Thank you again for the honest comments a I do hope to see you at Jetwing Warwick Gardens near future.

Reviewed December 1, 2009

Access to this small guest house is along a very narrow, steep ,badly surfaced, single lane track.On arrival at the top the service is very personnel,as if you are the only guests.The gardens and views are great.The chef suggests your evening meal adding to the personnel touch.The decor is colonial as if you had stepped back in time.Overal a unique experience not to be missed.Even though I had a cold shower (hot water ran out)

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We sincerely thank you for choosing to stay at Jetwing St. Andrews during your recent visit to Sri Lanka. Your comments are most appreciated and has been passed down to the entire team.
I hope your journey to Sri Lanka was joyful and full of special memories. Wish to see you soon at Jetwing St. Andrews.