“very friendly, nice colonial style building, beautiful garden”
Review of The Trevene Hotel

The Trevene Hotel
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We enjoyed our stay very much. They also helped me to arrange a bike for a reasonable price. I can definately recommand this place. The food quality was also good. Especially the service was very very friendly! Price-Value was absolutely ok!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Note: I'm only just getting around to writing reviews from our fun month trip to Sri Lanka. My husband and I stayed here just over a year ago. The drop-down selection of dates provided by Trip Advisor only goes back 11 months, so I selected February 2013 as the closest date. I mentions this simply because temperature was a factor.

The outside facade and location are lovely, as was the female manager who painstakingly wrote out directions in Sinhalese so we could show others if the need arose during out travels. The room, however, was far from lovely. My husband and I had the room right off the reception area. As many others have mentioned about this specific room it was freezing, the bedding insufficient, the water went from cold to scalding hot without warning, and the door did not fit the frame allowing all hotel noise to easily be heard.

We elected to not eat dinner at the hotel because they offered only western dishes and we were excited to try as many different local dishes as possible. Thus, we can't comment on the dinner. Breakfast was nothing special, but certainly sufficient.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mermily
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at The Trevene, with our 2 young kids. The room was very comfortable, with nice wooden wall. In the evening, they light the fireplace in the living room so everybody come and enjoy - you get to know and chat with other travelers. Food is nice, but the menu is very similar from one night to another (so I rated 4 and not 5).
The service is GREAT. The staff is super attentive with children, very nice. Our children played a lot with the owner children.

We definitely recommend this place. Very good value for money!

Room Tip: our triple room with wooden wall was very nice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Trevene at the beginning of our Sri Lanka trip, and this place connects you to the old colonial charm. We had room 103 with the fireplace (not all rooms have it, so be sure to ask at time of booking). The staff were warm and friendly.

We had all our breakfasts and dinners here, not too bad but would have preferred a little more variety.

Overall, good place for short stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 21, 2013

First of all, the hospitality is great, the owners are friendly. Breakfast is plain but nice. However, this does not make up for the severely disappointing room, or the lack of amenities. Room #105 is nothing like the photos on tripadvisor, it is extremely plain and lacking any sort of colonial charm. Do not take room 105, it is not worth the price. The sheets did not fit the bed, there are no room cleaning services, and the bathroom door did not close from the inside. Also, though it is listed as a service, the Trevene does NOT have a laundry service. Ultimately, the Trevene is not all it is cracked up to be, perhaps unless you actually get a nice room with a fireplace.

Room Tip: Don't choose #105!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ClaireThatTravels
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Stayed in one of the pricey deluxe rooms here. I'd just had a long train journey from Kandy and since I wanted to get on with seeing a tea plantation I just resigned myself to the price (6000-7000 rupees!). So not the best value but the staff, atmosphere, and dinner did its best to make up for it.

The room utterly cavernous with a large double bed, small TV, wardrobe, fireplace (!). It even had an adjoining room with another double bed which I had to walk through to get to the bathroom.

The staff were impeccable. I had tea on the lawn when I arrived. I joined 6-7 other travellers for beers by the fire which turned into a three course dinner (ordered in advance) where we moved into the dining room for soup, curry, and amazing curd and treacle for dessert.

It's within walking distance from town and I was also easily able to arrange my own transportation to the Labookellie Mackwoods tea factory and when I left, transport down to Nanu Oya.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Trevene after being picked up at the bus station by the hotel's friendly driver. He also drove us around Nurawa Eliya to the tea plantation and water falls. We love the warm atmosphere of the house, as well as the super nice host Nisa, who was not only helpful, warm and genuine, but very caring about what we need. Her husband would burn some woods to lighten up our fire place in our room after we came back from dinner, as the weather turned cold after dark. We just love the personal service and attention of the hotel owner. If you want pure relaxation, easy country style living in a warm and personal way, the Trevene is the place to stay in the Hill country.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple