“Birthday adventure”
Review of Borderlands

Borderlands
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Wade had been telling me how he can make camp even more comfortable then usual, as I can only manage Glamping rather then hard core camping. I Like my comforts I must admit.
On that note, I held him to his word and invited a group of good friends to Borderlands for the weekend to celebrate my husband's birthday in a more adventurous way.
Camp turned into GLAMP and all of us were impressed with our glam tents along the river bank. Food: b-fast, lunch & dinner spreads was fab, all well laid out in the long house. Later in the evening Wade entertained us with his cool rocking guitar playing & singing the night away!
White water rafting & canyoning was of course the excitement for the weekend.
Even though some of our guests were nervous & not good swimmers, Wade's team was amazing with everyone from ages 8 up to 50! Starting out with safety drills, equipment & team spirit all were ready to go! What an exciting afternoon that turned out to be! Everyone came back to camp Glam feeling fearless and on top of the world!
What more can I say but we'll be back for more!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank brycewei

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I had the best two night / three day stay at Borderlands, Sri Lanka. Borderlands SL is a full service adventure base and rustic resort. Service was top notch, very personal and attentive. Location is ideal with accommodation in tents perched on platforms overlooking the river. Solid sleep to the sound of the river. Food was excellent with a nice mix of local cuisine and western dishes. I really enjoyed my day rafting with folks on the river and then canyoning. The operation is professional with close attention to safety and procedures. The activities are a real hoot. I enjoyed the place as a solo traveler. I noticed that Borderlands SL is well set up for groups. I am a teacher and thinking to get a student group from my school in Hong Kong to the place.

Room Tip: All of the lodging overlooks the river.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
BorderlandsL, Sales and Marketing Manager at Borderlands, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Dear Eric M
Glad that you had a good break from the hectic world of Hong Kong when you came to stay with us at Borderlands - we would of course love to have you back with your school on an outbound education programme next time, please do just get in touch with us about this. We always try and make solo travelers feel as much at home as possible when they come and stay, so am really glad you felt this way too.
Many thanks

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Our experience in this hotel couldnt have been better. They were quite worried we didnt enjoy as much our stay because we were the only guests... as it turned out we werent and on top of that we had a marvellous time together with the rest of the clients and the staff. They are all very welcoming and ready to help you in whatever you may need. Their preparation and knowledge of the activities, the risks and the area couldnt be better.
Concerning the facilities and equipment they provide you with absolutely everything and all in really good state.
I particularly enjoyed the tent rooms and their situation facing the river... such nice views and sounds and none of the typical inconveniences of traditional campings!
If youre looking for some contact with nature I strongly recommend this place for its quality, and the friendliness of their staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
BorderlandsL, Sales and Marketing Manager at Borderlands, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear jaw1987
We thoroughly enjoyed having you all staying with us that weekend, and the fact that we ran our first commercial trip of our newly discovered canyon, made it all the more special.
Our staff, from our guides, waiter, kitchen staff all the way through to reservations make Borderlands what it is, and we are so incredibly proud of our staff.
i am sure that this will not be the last time we see you and your friends up at camp!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Living in Sri Lanka, you often look for a short weekend getaway. Borderlands has officially become my number one getaway, with its location on the Kelani River in Kithulgala and its cool weather it truly is a hidden gem. I was lucky to take part in a new canyoning event that takes you down various parts of a waterfall, it was an unforgettable experience. The group that I was with, was so much fun and as we were all living in Sri Lanka we could all agree on this being truly a great place to come and relax. The staff that takes you on the various activities are all very well trained and their main priority is your safety, something you don't find often in Sri Lanka. Due to the staffs professionalism you were able to feel relaxed and enjoy every moment of the activity. The food at Borderlands is just fantastic and as we had a vegetarian in our group the chef always made sure that he made enough vegetarian dishes. The owners of Borderlands Laxmi and Wade joined us as well and I was so glad to have met them and their little girl who was a ball of energy. Lastly, I would like to thank Gwen for organizing everything for me and I know that I will be heading to Borderlands very soon, and recommend Borderlands to anyone who is looking for a little bit of adventure on their tour of Sri Lanka or also a short getaway from the city.

Room Tip: These are tents not rooms but if you are a family I would recommend getting the family tent.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I enjoyed three nights at Borderlands. The setting's great and the tent stayed dry through four days of intermittent rain. The food was darn tasty and the staff was pretty attentive. I enjoyed the canyoning, kayaking and rafting, although hardcore folks might find the adventure too tame and cityslickers might find the accommodations too rugged. A quiet place, i'm sure the Long House is a hoot though for a big group.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Dear jrjewett
Thanks for much for coming over to join us during your long weekend from India - I hope that it wont be the last time you see us, and perhaps next time you can join us for one of our expeditions.
Meantime I thank you for your comments and am so pleased that you had a great time, even though we were quite quiet during your stay.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We had a very nice time at borderlands with our 3 boys aged 6, 10 and 10. The staff was great and we had a lot of fun. the guides played a lot with our boys. We really appreciated the kindness of the staff, the food was really good and the tents very adventurous on the edge of the river.The beds were Ok. The activities were well organized, we felt safe with our kids all the time and it was really something new for them: kayaking, canyoning, swimming in the river, etc.. We went without the kids rafting. We had a lot of fun, even-though we were expecting something a little wilder. It was too short and rapids were too soft. iIn our view w the level of comfort of the bathrooms and the room "service was too weak Vs the pricing. Even tough we knew that we had to share bathrooms (which was not a problem at all), we thought cleanliness and comfort would be higher. It's more a question of expectations Vs the price we were paying. Pricing high Vs comfort received.
.the place itself was nice and funny...ithe fact that we had to walk to the bathroom was nice, the shower outside also....BUT the equipment was old, the carpets also, no soap, it didn't smell good etc.... A little bit of nice deco, candles, new toilets, new carpets, small flowers, etc...would already improve the experience. Nevertheless, we would definitively recommend the place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Laila B

Dear Laila B
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of your time at Borderlands. the guys at camp really enjoyed having you to stay, and your kids were a joy to have with us. We are always thrilled when guests leave saying that they appreciated the levels of safety and that guests leave having experienced something new and exciting.
With regards to the "softness" of the experience, the Kelani is a Grade III River, so it does not have all the action that you would in some European or other Grade IV rivers, however the scenic beauty of the location and the fact that we offer the canyoning and kayaking, does usually more than make up for it. Next time you come you should try kayaking down the rapids in our inflatable one and two man kayaks! That will probably give you the thrills you are looking for!
With regards to the comfort of the bathrooms, we are looking to upgrade the bathrooms, but as you know the bathrooms are semi exposed to the outdoors and that, coupled with the general humidity and rainfall, does mean the bathrooms can appear a little worn at times. However since your visit we have changed the flooring and we will be looking to spruce up the bathrooms as we go on, and already we are upgrading the beds and the tents.
Thanks again for your kind words and useful feedback.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Had a couple of nights here with my 2 boys, aged 14 and 12, while on holiday from the UK. It would be the first time for all of us doing these river activities. The older one was well up for it and with the expert guidance of the camp staff showed that he was a natural kayaker, being able to surf the waves, while his old man was shown up and flipped several times! My younger son was more hesitant but with a bit of encouragement he managed all the jumps and slides of the first section of the river canyon - jumping off rocks into the river, sliding down small waterfalls into pools. The relaxing float down the river was amazing, surrounded by jungle. We then did the rafting (grade 2-3) and again we all enjoyed getting soaked - no capsizes, no bodies overboard!

Food each day was rustic but tasty and with generous amounts. The Sri Lankan food was the best. I would also point out that I am a vegan and my boys are vegetarian and this presented no problems for the kitchen so full marks for that.

The tents are basic but they are roomy and equipped with proper bedframes, foam mattresses and decent linen. This is camping but with an element of comfort. Showers only have cold water but the climate is steamy hot pretty much most of the time so this is not a problem. You are also in the cold river a lot so the shower temperature is usually warmer than you are by the time you get in (except first thing in the morning when it is a tad bracing)!

The camp's "longhouse", which serves as a lounge, bar and dining room, has the most stunning views over the river and to the jungle. Bring binoculars for bird watching - I managed to see kingfishers, orioles, woodpeckers to name a few.

Overall I think you are getting a real bargain. Yes you are camping but you are getting a thrilling river adventure in a beautifully scenic location, excellent and safe guides with quality equipment all followed up with good food and a great ambience.

Thanks to all for a great time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear olijames67
Thanks so much for choosing to stay with us at Borderlands and your boys were a real pleasure to have stay with us. We were really thrilled that your youngest son, who was initially very nervous about a lot of the activities, was able to overcome his fears, and I hope that this has led to him being able to take on new challenges in the future.
We are always very careful to ensure that all guests are catered for in terms of our meals and I have passed on your kind feedback to our kitchen staff and chef Bandu.
OI wish you many more exciting adventures with your boys in the future.
Many Thanks