“Borderlands Nepal is next!”
Review of Borderlands

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kitulgala
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We spent 3 days at the Borderlands Camp Kithulgala. It was the best thing we did in Sri Lanka! We were a group of 30 students and 6 teachers. It could not have been more safe, professional and organized. Thank you Borderland for this unforgettable adventure and for making us fall in love with Sri Lanka! See you all again in Nepal hopefullyl :)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Borderlands L, Sales and Marketing Manager at Borderlands, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2012

Dear AnitaF
Everyone at Borderlands really enjoyed having you and the school stay with us - you all embraced the whole philosophy and spirit of Borderlands fully, and its safe to say that we will remember you all with tremendous fondness and happy memories.
We hope to see you and another group from the Lebanon back here again soon!

Reviewed April 15, 2012

Children (9 and 7) have listed this as one of the best holidays ever. I confess, 'camping' is not exactly my favorite activity, but the staff and facilities available at Borderlands make it easy. First off, there's no work involved on the part of the guest: the tents are set on platforms over the river, meals are served at your bequest (with clear attention given to food allergy issues), and there are a team of people available to help with activities. So, while you are 'roughing it' relative to a night at a 4star hotel, it's not all that rough. The activities available (rafting, kayaking, abseiling, canyoning) were reasonably suitable for children and the staff is VERY safety conscious. We found the staff delightful, the care of our family of a very high quality and the experience overall a huge thumbs up from all of us. We'd highly recommend this as a 'active family' sort of holiday, and are considering a trip to Nepal with the Borderland's sister organization (when the youngest child is a bit older).

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Dear reynardridge
Thank you so much for your kind words, and we are so thrilled that you and your children especially enjoyed themselves so much during your recent stay. We pride ourselves on our safety, ensuring that all aspects are covered, and ensuring that parents can relax that their children are in safe hands with us. So I am pleased that this aspect came across during your activities with us. We definitely hope to see you and the family in Nepal in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

We were on a work related outbound training program which I approached with caution; not being a fan of leaches and heights. However, the team at Borderlands made us feel very much at ease and their safety equipment was really good. The team were really competent too and you can really put your trust in them without fear. The camp area is really nice and with the sound of the river rushing by you are guaranteed to have a good nights sleep; even if you are in a tent. The bath areas are a little muggy and leafy (they are semi outdoor) but it goes with the setting. There are no leaches at the camp site but you will get bitten if you trek and go canioning. The rafting experience is unforgettable and with medium level rapids anyone can do it. Food at camp was really good and its a really fun trip for families, youth groups and companies.

Room Tip: Take insect repellent with you that does repel leaches too - it just might help. Take pleny of light...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business

Dear AmsColombo

Many thanks for your review following your Corporate Training Programme last year. This was before my time with the company but am pleased that the memories of your time with us are still so present and positive. Please do come back and stay with us during the dry season, where there are no leeches ANYWHERE to be found, and come as a private guest with your friends or family. We will make sure you receive the same warm and enthusiastic welcome.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

A trip to Borderlands is a must when visiting Sri Lanka. We were a group of both adventurers and non-adventurers and everybody had a great time! We camped in platformed tents right along a beautiful river. The rafting and canyoning was exhilarating! They serve delicious Sri Lankan food. Would highly recommend getting to Borderlands if you enjoy an outdoorsy, welcoming, adventurous atmosphere!

Room Tip: We had tents right on the river, was beautiful to fall asleep to the sound of water!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Dear WadeC

We would like to thank you for your review and for taking time to come and stay with us in Kithulgala. We hope to see you again in the not so distant future, either back in Sri Lanka, or at our property in Nepal.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Waking up gently to the sound of running water and water buffalo being preened by egritts is something you'll remember for the rest of your life. You must experience the white water rafting whilst here, it's something that I've always wanted to do but have never been sober enough to be allowed. The buffet style selection served at the beginning, middle and end of day is impressive and staff are attentive and helpful, even finding time to muck around with us in the river on our last day as the flood gates were open. Lots of fun was had, good food was eaten, great friends made during the stay because of the open comfortable environment as the end of the day. Clean showers and toilets although cleaning in the river first thing in the morning wasn't just great fun but highly excilerating. This place is a must if you are ever in Sri Lanka and the next time I visit it will be with a female as its very romantic.

• Stayed: February 2012

Dear BrightonLeon

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us so much. You were great guests. We would like to emphasise that no guests are allowed to take part in any activities with Borderlands if alcohol has been consumed prior to any activity!

We do hope that you will come back again soon.

Reviewed January 31, 2012

Camping has never really conjured up very glamorous images for me, so it was with true delight that I walked onto the “campsite” of Borderlands and saw my tent for the first time… What I saw was not so much a tent, but more so a romantic riverside room that just happened to be made out of canvas!

The journey into Kithulgala itself was breathtakingly lush and a welcome sight after the hustle and bustle of the big Sri Lankan cities. Leaving the road behind to enter the world of the eclectic and transnational crew at Borderlands, I felt instantly welcomed and comfy in my tent with all the essentials at hand. There was even electricity in the tents and really fast Wi-Fi – camping has certainly changed for the better since my school days!

Borderlands is all about adventure and fun, so it’s pretty essential to try out one of their activities - most of which are suitable for all ages and fitness levels. I tried out a rafting and canyoning trip which, having never even heard of “canyoning” beforehand, ended up being the highlight of my time in Sri Lanka! With well-equipped and experienced river guides Wade and Nathan, I and the four other intrepid adventurers in my group always felt extremely safe and well looked after. With our combined experience ranging from someone who couldn’t even swim to someone who had tried out rafting once before, we all had an absolute ball together going down the rapids.

Back at the campsite after our adventure, we were all ready for showers. And what a relief to see that the shower block was a lovely clean place to rinse off! If you feel like showering at nighttime, you can even look up at the stars as you lather up.

The “long room” at Borderlands was a really great place to lounge around in with its fluffy cushions, free Wi-Fi and iPod dock. The food was definitely not your average camp gruel! Delicious Sri Lankan curries, vegies and rice with an awesome fruit salad and ice-cream dessert – very welcome after a day’s adventuring!

Drifting off to sleep with the sound of a rushing, bubbling river below is an experience I’ll never forget, and waking up to a scrumptious breakfast feast is not a bad way to start the day either. I was sad to leave this riverside paradise, and I’ll definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank countingdonkeys
Borderlands L, Sales and Marketing Manager at Borderlands, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Dear Countingdonkeys
Thank you so much for your kind words and I can assure you that I have passed on your review to all our cap staff who really enjoyed having you to stay, brief as it was.
We hope that you can make it to Kithulgala again in the not so distant future.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

"I had an excellent weekend at Borderlands with friends - I'll admit I was a bit hesitant about staying in tents before I went, but believe me this is no ordinary camping. Comfortable beds, nice fluffy towels, stunning views from the tents of the river (I fell asleep to the soothing sound of the river running below) and I was able to recharge my camera and phone in the tent too.
The food was delicious, really great, and so much of it! A nice mix of Sri Lankan and western food and it was really cool hanging out in the Long House with the sound system playing our music on my i-pod.
I can't praise the staff enough - when I fell out of the raft on the whitewater rafting one of the guides was there straight away to pull me back in the boat, and I can't recommend the canyoning enough - so much fun, even though my shorts ripped half way down!

Thanks Borderlands for an amazing weekend - I'll be sure to come back again soon."

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Stephanie K
Thanks so much for taking the time to write and share your experiences.
We still chuckle about your shorts incident - it's all part of the adventure in Kithulgala.
Hope to see you up in Kithulgala again very soon.