We stayed at this place for 4 days 3 nights - US$1,100, included a lame New Year buffet and "celebration" (US$125 per person)
This hotel bore no resemblance with its sister hotel in the same group Heritance Kandalama (where we stayed over Christmas and which was impressive). The architectual and design elememts that make Heritance Kandalama very special are total lacking in the Heritance Alungalla. The level of service could not compared. The attitude of staff generally was insincere and gear towards tips rather than service. We also had 2 experiences of male staff members making inappropriate comments to the females in our group.
The food was uninspiring at best and unhygenically prepared at worst (one of our party and a known other guest were both made ill by poor food preparation.) When the issue was raised on our departure with the most senior staff member made available (only a room division manager), no responsiblity was taken nor apology offered and the stock response was that the guest had not until then made a formal complaint (despite the matter being known to reception and housekeeping staff) and the guest was blamed for not having asked for a hotel doctor at the time.
The room we had was an attempt maximizing a corner area and was at first glance impressive. However, not all the electrics were wired up and the basic layout of the location of the light switches was poor (you have to get out of bed to turn off the bed side light). And one of the toilet in the suite smelt which affected our enjoyment of the suite. We couldn't use the sitting area of the suite.
To cap it all, having paid US$100 for a vehicle to take us to the airport, the hotel provided a desperately underpower, mini people mover which had no safety belts for passengers (an essential requirement for Sri Lankan roads).
Compared to the rest of our experience of accommodation in Sri Lanka, Heritance Alungalla was over-priced and poor value. It is definitely not 5 star accommodation as it claims to be. It just seems to be a money making "machine".
The main positive point about this hotel is the beach which is beautiful like the rest of the West coast of Sri Lanka (you do have to however put up with beach touts).
We will be lodging a formal complaint to the hotel but given their initial response we do not expect any joy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to a beach hotel where style and substance mix like a classic cocktail. Just as the turquoise infinity pool seems to blend into the ultramarine Indian Ocean, award-winning cuisine fuses the best of east and west. Welcome to Heritance Ahungalla, where we weave a little magic into your holiday memories while promising you the finest hospitality and best luxury services among Sri Lanka beach hotels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Agoda, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Heritance Ahungalla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Heritance Ahungalla Hotel Ahungalla
- Ahungalla Heritance Hotel
- Heritance Hotel Ahungalla