“The Staff are the Stars of this Hotel”

Heritance Ahungalla
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ahungalla
Reviewed February 14, 2014

This hotel is a joyous masterpiece of design and makes full use of the flora by blurring the distinction between outdoors and indoors. All corridors and most public spaces are open to the outside. The gardens are extremely spacious and sun bed and umbrellas can be placed to give a maximum amount of privacy - there is certainly no fighting for sun beds round the pool! To keep you company in the gardens are water monitors and chipmunks.
The staff are all unfailingly cheerful and friendly and always willing to engage in conversation. On one occasion the Sous Chef, Roshan stopped for a conversation in the dining room and when we asked about the kitchen he invited us to look round. The hotel is very proud of its culinary accomplishments, winning prizes at international competitions and the quality of the food certainly reflects this.
The value of the pound against the SR Rupee makes this a reasonably priced holiday, and even the prices at a hotel of this standard are reasonable (except the wine list).
Galle is in easy reach by car. We hired a car with driver and guide for 8000 Rupees and apart from simply going to Galle our guide, Pippi, also stopped at a mask museum, the tsunami memorial and a moonstone mine, none of which we asked for but which enhanced the trip. The journey itself is of interest and highlights the devastation of the 2004 tsunami and the efforts made to repair the damage.
An unforgettable holiday and well worth going, the only downside being the length of the flights!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Ahungalla_Heritance, General Manager at Heritance Ahungalla, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting Heritance Ahungalla as your holiday destination. Thank you also for taking the time and trouble to comment about your holiday experience on the Trip Advisor. We are delighted by the very positive remarks you have made about the hotel, our staff and the service. Please know that we consider it a pleasure to have had the opportunity to look after you and give you a memorable holiday experience. We hope you will come back soon for another spell of holiday with us. When you decide to come back please keep us informed so that we can welcome you back to our home. Until then take care and keep in touch.

Yours Sincere Refhan Razeen, General Manager at Heritance Ahungalla

Write a ReviewReviews (3,662)

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Hotel itself was very nice but our room smelled of mould at times. Also the service staff when they knew we were in our room had a habit of knocking on the door so many times it became obvious that in fact all they were after was a tip. I appreciate there is poverty in the country but this was the on thing which spoiled our stay.

The meals in the restaurant were excellent each time.

I would highly recommend staying here if you do not mind being 'tapped' for tips.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting Heritance Ahungalla as your holiday destination. Thank you also for taking time and trouble to comment about us on the Trip Advisor with regard to your experience with us. We are very happy to read your very positive comments about the hotel .Thank you for bringing to our notice the little shortcomings that you have experienced and we really appreciate that you shared them with us. We are extremely sorry for any inconvenience that you had to face. We hope you will visit us again despite these shortcomings and when you come back please keep us informed so that we can be ready to welcome you back. Until then please take care and keep in touch.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

We have been in this hotel more than 10 times and our next stay is already booked. Our feeling is like to come back to our second home. Managment and staff is very friendly and helpful. If you like to relax it's the perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: "Suites are the perfect places to relax"
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Ahungalla_Heritance, General Manager at Heritance Ahungalla, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting Heritance Ahungalla for your holiday and for considering it as your second home. We sincerely appreciate the time and trouble you have taken to post your review on the Trip Advisor. We are extremely delighted by your kind remarks about our hotel its service and our staff. Please know that it is a pleasure for us to ensure that you are completely relaxed and happy when you are in our home. We always consider you as our family and look forward to your visit to our hotel every year. We hope that you are well and happy and take care until we meet again.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

The most accommodating staff I've met. One of our favorite hotels in terms of atmosphere & we absolutely love the pool with the tree by the side of it. The food is great & the prices are very reasonable indeed. A must visit for anyone really!

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting Heritance Ahungalla as your holiday destination. Thank you also for taking the time and trouble to share with us your holiday experience at our hotel on the Trip Advisor. We are delighted by the comments made by you and the rating that you have given us. Please know we consider it a great privileged to have had the opportunity to take care of your during your holiday. We hope you will come back to us frequently and keep us up dated when you decide to do so. Until then take care and keep in touch.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

We had a suite upgrade which was great.
Seems many of the visitors are Europeans on a beach holiday.
Leaving the hotel was an experience - not really recommended..........
Really have no other comments

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting Heritance Ahungalla as your holiday destination. Thank you also for taking the time and trouble to comment about us on the Trip Advisor. We hope your stay with us was comfortable and happy. Please know that it was a pleasure to have had the opportunity to take care of you during your holiday. We trust you will come back to our hotel for your next holiday too. Until then take care and keep in touch.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Heritance Ahungalla is a must see and live destination. I have been on this lovely hotel more than 10 times. Beach, food, service, professionalism are all perfect. I recommend it as a super destination.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting Heritance Ahungalla over and over again as your holiday destination. Thank you also for the time and trouble you have taken to post a review of your holiday experience on the Trip Advisor. We are delighted by your comments. Please know that it is a pleasure for us to know that our dear guests have enjoyed themselves at our hotel and have left our home happy and satisfied. Please visit us again with your family and keep us always informed when you make your plans. Until the next time take care and keep in touch.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I have just returned from a one week stay at this hotel. The day of my arrival was Independence Day and therefore preparation for celebrations were in full swing, funnily I immediately felt part of the hotel.

The staff were lovely, helpful, calm and polite even when I was a bit fraught with things not exactly working out as planned from my travel company.

Lazy days on the beach were marred by enthusiastic beach vendors, however with the help of a German guest I managed to negotiate a good price for a silk scarf having told myself "I am most certainly not going to buy anything from them!"

Sri Lankans are welcoming people and not all are after your money, although I did find the tipping to the hotel staff obligatory which got embarrassing, if not down right annoying one guy round the pool seemed to want tipping to speak to me! Yet another saved my sunbed all morning for only a smile.

On my last morning my pick up time was some unearthly early morning hour, but the kitchen staff managed to lay on my own personal buffet breakfast AND I received a breakfast picnic to take with me to the airport.

Food was mediocre but good a selection at breakfast, dinner with my half board was a bit "breakfast warmed up" with some dishes, although as a vegetarian my tastes were well catered for plus an offer of my personal selection from the chef. A Fawlty moment one evening when I asked for a black coffee to complete the meal. I was told "Coffee off, no more coffee, sorry coffee is finished" err is this a hotel? this was rectified when a member of the waiting staff later turned up with my coffee.

It needs more polish. Little things like a stain on the table cloth, cloudy glasses, no hair conditioner, a chip on the bathroom mug,a stain on the net curtains in my room and the corridor to the room looked more "seaside guest house".

They were improving the walls on the stairs of the hotel with stencilling. A warning, I hit my head on a metal plank balanced precariously between the bannisters where the "artist" stood. Health and Safety in the UK would have closed it down. I did mention it and the reception staff thanked me for drawing it to their attention. The plank remained.

The hotel was over all quiet and the music went on till only 10.30pm I did like an early night but the music was pleasant enough despite hearing it in my room and as I say it was only to 10.30pm. The hotel did seem to regulate conferences/weddings to noise minimum and respect to their guests.

It might pass for a 4 star only Sri Lankan style but it was not 5 star.

Too many rude Russians but this is not a hotel issue just a way of life on holiday now.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank 377Alexandra
Ahungalla_Heritance, General Manager at Heritance Ahungalla, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting Heritance Ahungalla as your holiday destination. Thank you also for taking the time and trouble to comment about us on the Trip Advisor. We appreciate the comments made by you overall and would like to apologise to you for any inconvenience that you may have had to undergo during your stay. I have spoken with my Chief Engineer with regard to the Pool Staff on the remarks you have made about tipping to them. We are very sorry regarding same and we will ensure that this type of action is not committed by our pool staff in the future. Also I have up dated my F&B Manager with regard to the mis communication with regard to the coffee you have ordered. We will ensure that our service staff is sent on some extensive training to improve their handling of the guests. Thank you very much for bringing these to our notice. We hope that despite these few short-comings you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will give us the opportunity to give you a better holiday experience. Until then take care and keep in touch.

Yours Sincere Refhan Razeen, General Manager at Heritance Ahungalla

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ahungalla
Vivanta by Taj - Bentota
#1 of 29 in Hikkaduwa
Jetwing Lighthouse
Jetwing Lighthouse
#3 of 26 in Galle

Been to Heritance Ahungalla? Share your experiences!