“First impression” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Mandaue
Southampton, United Kingdom
“First impression”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

This hotel promised so much yet failed to deliver. The front desk staff are a delight. Very polite and helpfull. Once past here however wasn't good. The main room was sparse no complementary coffee or tea. TV was not working. The air conditioning was loud and not working correctly. The view from the only window in the room looked out to a brick wall. I can't see why there was a window there at all. Very bad and depressing. The shower leaked all the time and only supplied cold water. The breakfast wasn't worth getting up for or come to think of it worth having. Not a help yourself breakfast. Only very small helpings not even the size of child's portions and very limited in what they offered. I went out to have breakfast as local places offerd better helpings and more choice. this is the fourth time I have been to the Philippines and this is the last time I come here. I would recommend the Holiday Plazza or the Alpa Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank Tim R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

It was 7 of us stayed in this hotel. We had 4 rooms. Hotel was nice but would be better if it had a swimming pool. It had free breakfast. One thing though you cant do early check in, and there's a charged half price and you can only do early check in at 12pm.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back part of the hotel are newer and nicer interior.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank justin1200
Guam, Mariana Islands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

I checked into this hotel on May 20, 20012 and have been here one week now. Initial impressions have been pretty lukewarm thus far. I have two more nights until checkout. Upon my arrival I was greeted warmly by the security guard who opened the door to my taxi. I then carried my travel bag in as it appears no one was maknig the effort while I paid the driver. Check in was relatively flawless and performed by three immaculately attired young women who appeared friendly and personable.

My first odd moment occurred when I was escorted to my second floor room. I noticed although I had requested and confirmed at t he font desk that I desired a smoking room there was no ashtray. I requested one which was promptly brought to my room by the housekeeping attendant. He also oddly enough brought with him a piece of paper with handwriting scrawled upon it denoting it as a receipt for one ashtray. I inquired of the reason for my signature to which he muttered something unintelligible about hotel policy and the need to keep track of ashtrays. I told him this was rubbish, I had prepaid for eight nights and if I couldn't be trusted with this ashtray than he had best keep it as I'd make do without it. He apologized then scurried out of the room to report to his superiors at some bowel of this facility. As I shook my head at this and contemplated that dank, smelly hallways, the small lobby, the noisy air conditioning unit. I wondered if I had made an error in booking this hotel.
Over the next few days I shook my head a few more times. I shook it when at 9AM I requested a hotel staffer to clean my room early today and was informed my room would be a priority. Wll approximately an hour later while seeing a crew cleaning the room to the right of mine I again requested that my room be cleaned. Again I was assured that my room would be next. Imagine my surprise when 20 minutes later I see the same crew cleaning the next room over. At that point I did a littlle yelling and called the housekeeping office (twice). The next thing I knew there were 3-4 housekeeping staff/OJT student feverishly cleaning my room. Asking a staffer to exchange towels at or around 7PM and being told that there were none available only to request a supervisor and then bing provided two fresh towels does not exactly inspire confidence and customer loyalty.

Daily requests about the advertised wifi which had an extremely weak signal were met with "sir, please wait awhile", "sir the Internet is being reset" or the absolute best at 7PM "sir the Internet is taking a rest". I had virtually no access in the room or in the lobby, stairwell or in front of the hotel.

Finally on May 28, 2012 I noticed that I had no hot water and after over three calls to the front desk over two hours I was told repeatedly to wait various periods of ten minutes, fifteen minutes and one hour. After requesting to speak to the manager I was moved to another room which also had no hot water, the safety box was inoperable (ultimately removed). I waited until approximately 2PM (5 hours later) when the safety box was transferred to my new room. I asked if I could store my valuables in the front desk area to go out and eat only to be informed that there were no front desk facilities to keep them safe. I waited 5 hours to speak with a hotel manager which never happened despite staff assurances that the manager would call me. Please note there are hardly any other guests visible in this hotel one would suspect that a guest who requests management intervention would indeed get to speak to a management representative. After returning from brunch at or around 5PM I again requested to speak to the manager which did not occur.

I paid extra for breakfast daily for 8 occasions and have use this service exactly twice due to the to times using this I learn that the diner cannot eat nything they want but must choose between certin specified breakfast choices. Despite eating alone on those two ccasians the restaurant staff who are reportedly not affiliated with the hotel charged me for an extra cup of coffee, a glass of mango juice, a service charge and an attempted room service charge when I requested to bring my leftovers in a takeout container. I vehemently refused and ultimately the charges were reduced. The staff surly and abrupt. Finally this hotel is located pretty far away from many of the larger or well populated areas, malls and sightseeing venues. To go anywhere requires a taxi ride (not that plentiful) of approximately 150PHP.

To make a very long story/ experience brief STAY ELSEWHERE!

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Angelescitypi
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

I do recommend this hotel. Conveniently located to get to the bus station or airport by taxi. Small coffee shop served good food. Clean hotel. The massage service was a nice bonus. There is even a large mall in walking distance so you can try to avoid the rude taxis.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

Stayed here for two nights after booking through Agoda. The room was fine enough but not that nice. The bed and headboard improved the look of the room, but the tile floor, small bathroom and small and dingy balcony brought the room down to the level of a lower midrange hotel. Breakfast was included and had a fairly extensive menu to choose from although everything was generally smaller and not that great (french toast was the best). Rooms themselves were in ok repair. The aircon worked well, the tv had the standard (huge) selection of English channels, and the shower was usually hot enough. Wifi was available in the rooms and very fast. Location was ok, but not great as there were not a lot of restaurants nearby and it was a long ride into Cebu City proper. We had a minor annoyance when checking out – the front desk receptionist delayed our leaving for 10 minutes while waiting for the housekeeping to check our mini-fridge despite our cab waiting with the meter running and our assurances that we hadn't had anything except the complimentary water. Even though our room was a 30-sec walk away, she seemed unable to send anyone but the absent housekeeper to check the fridge. Eventually we left without it being resolved since they had our credit card. We probably would look for a better value place if we were returning to Cebu but for our first nights in the Philippines it did the job.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CEMMM
manila
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

I've been staying in Orchard for the past three Cebu trips mainly because of its proximity to my office.

Rooms are well lit, spacious, clean and comes with your standard vault.

Bed is OK but pillows are fluffed out and flat. Easily remedied though by asking your friendly housekeeper for an extra pillow or two. Comforter is a bit short length wise but long width wise so just rotate the comforter if you want to cover the whole of your body when you sleep.

The flat TV for me is too small, 20 inches which makes it very hard for me to see the ball when watching golf or tennis while lying on the bed.

Bathroom is pretty clean and decent and comes with the complementary soap and shampoo.

Room WIFI connection is a bit weird. I can connect to it but around 11pm I lose connection even if the WIFI signal is good.

The walls are thin and I can hear footsteps, people talking and doors closing from the corridor to my room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank maku0207
China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

I had a nice stay in this hotel. After a long day from doing transactions in Cebu City, the Orchard Cebu Hotel & Suites really makes my day with their very accommodating staff. The guard is very smiley when he opens the door for me, also the ladies at the desk are just friendly, had a chit chat with them before going to my room. I could really see the good Filipino traits here . The room was awesome for the price. It was spacious, bed was comfortable. shower is okay, breakfast is okay. No complaints at all, just compliments. Looking to go back here on my next dealings in Cebu, Philippines. Hopefully they can maintain those smiley friendly staffs because it really is a plus factor to a business type hotel where guest are often tired and consumed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Hen_Tanpug
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaue
Andy Hotel
#10 of 87 in Cebu City
Eloisa Royal Suites
Eloisa Royal Suites
#5 of 30 in Lapu Lapu

Been to The Orchard Cebu Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!